All new RTR PGA wagon in 4mm scale

Grimleygrid

How about the up to date Redlands ??

MMA in DB Cargo red and ermewa in grey, or HOA's ermewa

The MMA is an interesting one, I am not an expert but there are quite a few recently built box wagons that look very similar to those.

The HOAs are being produced by Revolution. Now they are nice wagons, cannot wait to see their models.

DRS seems to be a rather popular livery for locos and stock.

How about some different types of nuclear flasks for them to pull? there are a number of different designs apart from the type made by Bachmann, and a large double bogie one (probably not viable that one in RTR). There are also the military nuclear carriers which go from the nuclear sub berths to selafield.

Thanks for the suggestion Kelly.

HAA ... good call , another high unit shifter !

TW

Thanks TW, I am still not sure though how much interest there would be following Hornby's upgraded MGR. 

Scale length PTA as used in scotland and South Wales plus later on Mendips stone traffic would get my vote. Previously only available as a AME resin kit but long since lost to market and sporadically from DEMU.

The PTA definitely seems like a popular wagon!

Sticking with an aggregates theme; the Redland self-discharge sets. Leaving scope for the adventurous to make it operate ;)

Sticking with an aggregates theme; the Redland self-discharge sets. Leaving scope for the adventurous to make it operate ;)

Now that would be great to model, not sure how many would sell! Any idea what the shortest rake/formation that they ran or run with?

ZCA sea urchin?

A few differing body types granted but would be a relatively easy one compared to some of the other suggestions perhaps

Thanks, there are a few departmental wagons to consider.

Hi guys heres my wish list ;)

JGA RMC curved top could also be used as the ECC Quarries variant

Bardon Aggregates early hexagon chassis style

PGA Tilcon with extened top

Clyde Cement bogie cement tanks either..

PBA blue dowlow polybulk, this one again could be used for the roofed or open version

Last but definately not least PBA Potash "Jolly Green Giant"

Cheers. :)

some interesting suggestions Richard.

I like the sound of a PWA Fertiliser wagon :)

Or any ferry wagon tbh.

So much choice I doubt you can go wrong!!

The PWA would be a good one, especially with opening doors!

If you are asking what I will buy? ARC / Yeoman PGAs. I'd probably have at least 60 of them.

To do justice to the PGAs you've probably got to do a good cross-section of the variants (so that you can exploit the livery variations). But given that you are doing the CAD yourselves you could probably design clever tooling with inter-changable parts to achieve this? This is where your approach (doing your own CAD) probably excels over others?

I started doing this myself as a brass kit... maybe I'll finish it one of these days?

Guy

Thanks Guy, as you know only too well, trying to find common parts from several is not an easy task!

As a lot of modellers have done, we have spent quite some time looking at the different versions and variations!

I do think a FY/ARC version would prove a hit. Especially the high sided ones or may be even those that were cut down and converted for use in engineers trains.

But then again, so would the high sided later PGAs.

Edited by Grimleygrid

Different bodies on different chassis by different Works/Contractors over a long conversion period.

At least two body styles have an A and B version.

One chassis has and A and B version.

Worms, Open, Can, Of! :)

I suspect that this is why Hornby quietly dropped their proposed model to come out along side the OTA. 

MC

Thanks MC!

I suspect the largest voice might be for other pga versions. Especially later in their lives, I can't recall seeing any shots of uniform pga rakes due to the number of variations.

I am not convinced SG! There are definitely other wagons which seem to be getting a few mentions.

5 set shortest possible!

Thanks Mark, very interesting!

This is the shortest picture that I have seen. Not as short as 5 though.

post-6894-0-52730100-1520372273_thumb.png

Not many modellers are running full rakes though so it doesn't really translate to modelling.

To be honest though we ought to stay clear of sets that require several models. In these early stages we are probably unlikely to be able to garner the interest to cover several moulds.

In the future I hope for Cavalex to be able to tackle subjects like this though.

• Like 1

Hi Alex & Cav

The reference to the Bardon PHA is the WH Davis Wagon circa 1986 , not the ex ECC wagon ... although that would be cool also .

Certainly the PTA would be a popular selection & I personally would buy 30+ ARC/FY units & would consider a further purchase of South Wales Iron ore examples

A couple more personal selections would be

> VTG 3 door Ferry vans

> Cargowaggon Holdall Wagons ( Norsk Hydro )

> also 2nd the suggestion of the CSA presflo’s

Looking forward to any potential vote

Furthermore with the painted versions due to arrive from China .... how long do you envisage deliveries to the customer of the accepted Production models ?

Thanx

TW

Hi TW,

The painted samples are due at the end of this month, then subject to final approval and depending on how quickly the factory can produce them, we would hope to have them on their way by the end of June.

Obviously we will have a better idea once we receive the painted samples and have spoken to the factory about production timescales. We will of course keep everyone updated as best we can.

What we can say is that once we are happy with the model, production will be started!

attachicon.gif20180306_213439.png

Not many modellers are running full rakes though so it doesn't really translate to modelling.

To be honest though we ought to stay clear of sets that require several models. In these early stages we are probably unlikely to be able to garner the interest to cover several moulds.

In the future I hope for Cavalex to be able to tackle subjects like this though.

I think someone did give me a full description of these once. I had fixed rake of 6 in my head for some reason but looks like It's 5 from other responses and that picture (Maybe it was fixed of 5 plus the unloading conveyor) as It's easy to spot the ends of the 2 sets.

Agree though, that would be a big ask; a 'starter' set of 6 wagons, plus 5 wagon add on packs!

Edit: I think the set I snapped once had the conveyor in the middle of the train rather than on an end, so they can be varied about.

Edited by Satan's Goldfish

^^^^^^^^

Yes, that's true, you could have 1 through to twenty wagons .....I think the reason MOD stuff is popular is that it stands out with interesting loads when a lot of freight looks...pretty dull these days.

Having said that with the winding down of ludgershall and the withdrawal of rail trips to ash church I haven't seen any photos of trains of armoured vehicles since about 2014.

attachicon.gif20180306_213439.png

I believe the Redlands SDTs were formed into ten wagon sets with a belt running under each of the ten wagons to feed the boom wagon. Not sure if one set often could feed into the next set of ten, or whether they had to be shunted.

IIRC these were sometimes used to deliver ballast to weekend worksites in the 1990s.

They would be an interesting model but not sure how you could realistically depict the belt between the wagons

A fake belt that is in effect a solid unit fixed to one wagon inside a slot on a pivot and slid into a slot on the next wagon with a knuckle type coupler underneath to do the actual coupling business.

Brief discussion on the self-discharge train starting here: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/23763-warren-lane/page-96&do=findComment&comment=1262228

Definitely looks like blocks of 5 wagons. I thought I'd been pointed towards more info and diagrams on how they were built/worked but can't see it now.

The painted samples are due at the end of this month, then subject to final approval and depending on how quickly the factory can produce them, we would hope to have them on their way by the end of June.

Drat! Not going to be here in time for me to run on my layout at Scalefour North in April.

Never mind I'm sure the wait will be well worth while.

Edited by mike knowles

Drat! Not going to be here in time for me to run on my layout at Scalefour North in April.

Never mind I'm sure the wait will be well worth while.

Mike, it is unfortunate that the factory have experienced delays and then with the Chinese New Year it has pushed things back. We too would have liked to have seen them running on your layout as well, apologies!

Hopefully once we get the painted samples it won't be long before production is underway and the PGAs are finding their way to the UK....

We appreciate everyone's patience and understanding.

• Like 1

Mike, it is unfortunate that the factory have experienced delays and then with the Chinese New Year it has pushed things back. We too would have liked to have seen them running on your layout as well, apologies!

Hopefully once we get the painted samples it won't be long before production is underway and the PGAs are finding their way to the UK....

We appreciate everyone's patience and understanding.

As the saying goes....

The best things come to those who wait......

What about another TEA?

p443161777-2.jpg

p119212510-2.jpg

p443161777-2.jpg

Fortunately these links don't seem to have worked very well.

However I do agree, and had meant to say, that IF they have the capacity for a bogie vehicle then the Standard Wagon built range of bogie tank wagons, with the distinctive straight through solebar (different to the common bogie TTA which don't have this) would be good. And the basic information about them is available in

Tandy, David W. (2009) Standard Railway Wagon Co. Heywood Works. Ty Mawr Publications ISBN 09552354-2-1. 128 pages

Paul

Fortunately these links don't seem to have worked very well.

However I do agree, and had meant to say, that IF they have the capacity for a bogie vehicle then the Standard Wagon built range of bogie tank wagons, with the distinctive straight through solebar (different to the common bogie TTA which don't have this) would be good. And the basic information about them is available in

Tandy, David W. (2009) Standard Railway Wagon Co. Heywood Works. Ty Mawr Publications ISBN 09552354-2-1. 128 pages

Paul

Thanks Paul.

Would look nice behind a Hornby Sector liveried class 60:

28505201292_62ebbbdcbd_c.jpg19910517 116 Barnetby. 60049 'Scafell' Heads East With A Rake Of TEA Bogie Tanks At 16.42 by 15038, on Flickr

And still being used today:

40545789752_ecb94bdaab_c.jpgDoing My Bit.... by Marcus, on Flickr

Would go nicely with Revolution's TEA.

DRS seems to be a rather popular livery for locos and stock.

How about some different types of nuclear flasks for them to pull? there are a number of different designs apart from the type made by Bachmann, and a large double bogie one (probably not viable that one in RTR). There are also the military nuclear carriers which go from the nuclear sub berths to selafield.

Large double bogie one (probably not viable that one in RTR). The older variant has been done already in HO.  

• RMweb Gold

There are a huge variety of vatiations in TEAs. Stating the obvious - You need to pick ones with the longest timespan and vaiety of liveries. If it ran on the western region in the mid to late 80s I am interested