All new RTR PGA wagon in 4mm scale

Grimleygrid

Hi Al, thank you for your input.

No the buffer heads aren't metal but they are moulded correctly and are not oversize in thickness.

The whole chassis frame is metal to add weight whilst giving free space for the exceptional detail in the hopper door area. This means that all the detail parts are finely moulded seperate items that have to be fitted to the model. We don't really see any benefit from the buffers being metal in this instance and would have added extra cost that would put the price up as a result.

We are endeavouring to give you the best detail available at the best cost.

Regards

Cav

Edited by RBE
  • Like 3

Hi Al, thank you for your input.

No the buffer heads aren't metal but they are moulded correctly and are not oversize in thickness.

The whole chassis frame is metal to add weight whilst giving free space for the exceptional detail in the hopper door area. This means that all the detail parts are finely moulded seperate items that have to be fitted to the model. We don't really see any benefit from the buffers being metal in this instance and would have added extra cost that would put the price up as a result.

We are endeavouring to give you the best detail available at the best cost.

Regards

Cav

Hmmm, I appreciate your points on the metal chassis etc.  And sure, the running gear really does look incredibly special indeed.  So too the shape of the wagon in general and I'm even swayed on the plastic laddering (originally a pet hate of mine), and the walkway/surrounding handrail arrangement all too look very nice indeed. 

I have to say though that plastic buffers are a surprising feature of a new model aimed at the more 'finescale' end of the market.  Although I am sure that the buffers are as fine as they can be (for plastic), I am yet to see any plastic buffer achieve the finesse of sharp metal round/Oleo bufferheads (which have been appearing on RTR wagons for some years already).  I've ordered a fair size rake of these wagons and I really had hoped that my days of drilling out buffer shanks were well and truly over, and it really wasn't something I was expecting to maybe have to do on a newly fine-detailed model. 

If you really are insisting on plastic buffers then as a matter of interest do the buffer heads remove to leave a shaft that metal heads could be inserted easily, or otherwise?  Presumably the buffer shaft is metal and part of the chassis, so this might not be so ready to accept replacement buffers?

cheers

Al

Edited by YesTor

I fully understand your view and we can certainly see what the effect on production is at this point to make a change like this. However, the buffers are very fine looking (as fine as the real ones, they aren't tin foil as they need to be able to push a full loaded stone train!) much like the ladders (which we could not have hoped to achieve the correct detail and shape using an etch, the mesh deck is etched though).

Here are a couple of pics to show the thickness etc. To me they look very good and obviously look finer on the model than a large picture on a screen.

post-6894-0-24080500-1517397243.jpg

post-6894-0-57739100-1517397255.jpg

Edited by RBE
  • Like 5

Here are a couple of pics to show the thickness etc. To me they look very good and obviously look finer on the model than a large picture on a screen.

Okay thanks, well, difficult to tell from the photos but the second photo looks more reassuring.  It looks as though the buffer head is a plastic push-in type?  If so is it correct that the buffer shank is metal and thus part of the chassis?  And finally, should myself (or anyone) choose to replace the buffer heads, are the holes of a suitable size to accept replacement heads?  I realize that that's quite a precise question, but a fairly important one if you are the OCD type (such as myself) when it comes to buffers, ladders and the like...  :mail:

Oh, and also, maybe a clear, close-up, side-on shot of the wagon in general would be useful to show the general underframe etc would be beneficial for everyone?

cheers

Al

Hi Al. The buffers are completely plastic mouldings which fit into the metal chassis however the shanks and heads are seperate which would allow you to replace the heads if necessary (the hole is approximately the same diameter as the hydraulic part of the head), we would have to specify that they were supplied not glued in though during manufactire which then runs the danger of them coming out in transport.

We are asking on the cost difference to provide turned metal heads.

Just for reference here is a section through a real oleo buffer. As you can see the heads aren't particularly thin and certainly not the sharp edge that metal buffers tend to have.

post-6894-0-01679900-1517403044.jpg

• Like 4

Really good to see the sample of the PGA guys. Absolutely lovely looking model, the detail underneath is phenomenal! Buffers look great by the way, nicely captured the domed head shape. Fingers crossed the baby brother is still planned.

Jo

Update

First of all thank you for the kind comments and feedback that we have received, it is very much appreciated.

Now that we have received the first samples out of the moulds, we have been liaising with the factory and modifications are now underway.

We hope to have the modified samples within the next few weeks.

Regular updates will be provided.

Cheers guys, we are looking forward to getting our hands on the second set of samples. As for modifications, there were couple of issues regarding fit amd finish which we have asked the factory to rectify. We are looking forward to seeing how these have turned out compared to the first samples.