Minerva GWR Pannier Tank - open for advanced orders

81A Oldoak

6700-49, 7700-24 and 8725-49

(6700-49 were 'goods only' locos, with no vacuum brakes, no ATC, no steam heating, and 3-link couplings.)

Thanks Miss Prism. Very useful. Wolverhampton appears to be the closest in my 1953 book unfortunately. I'll try 1958 shed allocations with hopefully one at Croes Newydd.

EDIT : Goddit....8727 at Croes Newyd in 1959. Just one question ....Did it have top feed anyone....?

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 1

(6700-49 were 'goods only' locos, with no vacuum brakes, no ATC, no steam heating, and 3-link couplings.)

I will be modelling 6724 in her naked guise as allocated to 86B Newport Pill shed. She also had no top-feed so looks quite austere, but the Bagnall works plates on the front splasher add a little something.

• Like 2

Hi Larry

Yes, 8727 did have a top feed looking at this photo at

masterpiecemodels.co.uk/index.php

although this looks like it was taken in the preservation era.

Look under the models for sale heading and click on the 57xx/8750

Hope this is of help to you.

John

Edited by Blue Horizon

The best possible advice is to have a prototype photo of the engine to be modelled. On page 7 of The Pannier Papers No 3 there is a photo of 5718 with riveted tanks at Bristol in 1956. It was not unknown for tanks to change during overhauls. 

• RMweb Gold

The best possible advice is to have a prototype photo of the engine to be modelled. On page 7 of The Pannier Papers No 3 there is a photo of 5718 with riveted tanks at Bristol in 1956. It was not unknown for tanks to changed during overhauls. 

I would also add that if at all possible reliably dated photos are also relevant when it comes to 57xx/8750 panniers as some engines definitely went from a boiler with a top feed to one without a top feed (and no doubt vice versa) at some point in their lives.

Guest Isambarduk

... on the other hand, we could chill a bit, recognise that our railway modelling is all a compromise, appreciate these excellent models as they are, then detailing them and numbering them as best we can and not worrying quite so much about it ;) David

Mine was a question that I was confident one of the few remaining railway modellers on RMweb could answer. There was no requirement for any pretentious fake modeller to respond.

What a strange, unnecessary & unwelcome comment.  If it was directed at David, I can only say that in my dealings with him, he has been unfailingly polite and always helpful.  He is a talented modeller & highly capable model engineer.  He's also an Engineer by profession.

If it wasn't directed at David, please excuse my intervention, and possibly clarify so nobody else misunderstands.

Simon

• Like 1

Here are two photos of a pre-production version of the Minerva 0 gauge RTR 57XX 0-6-0 pannier tank locomotive with riveted tanks. This is the third and final version in the Minerva 57XX/8750 series. It will be available with and without top-feed apparatus and in GWR green with "GREAT WESTERN" insignia and no insignia and plain black with early and late British Railways crests. The model retails at £265 for DC, £320 for DCC fiitted and £390 for DCC sound fitted. The carriage charge is £9 per loco. All prices include UK VAT at 20%. We fit ZIMO decoders.

The production run will be smaller for this version and we publish the delivery date shortly. If you wish to place an advanced order please use the form on our website. We will not bill you until the models are tested and ready for dispatch.    https://www.minervamodelrailways.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/Order-form-Pannier-57xx-Rivetted.pdf

Love it.  IMHO, The rivets on the tanks add character to a loco which is already oozing with character.  I'm looking forward to getting mine in the mail.  ;)

• Like 1

... on the other hand, we could chill a bit, recognise that our railway modelling is all a compromise, appreciate these excellent models as they are, then detailing them and numbering them as best we can and not worrying quite so much about it ;) David

Hi David,

That is a very refreshing POV from a skilled modeller, well said.

With my own modelling, I do my best, 'continuous improvement' etc etc., but as my knowledge grows, the eyesight and hands dont always work like they used to. Also as a lone modeller-with help from time to time-I still strive for accuracy but not at the cost of diminishing returns. Eg. if someone visits the layout-when it's substantially complete-I want them to see a reasonably accurate represenation of the WR in the late 1960s and early 1970s-thus not every bolt head will be present on 'layout models', especially as in 7mm, lots has to be kit or scratch built. I admired Ken Payne's work, his output too......I could never match that.

Having said all that, isnt it always the way, one has just finished a kit, one which fought every step of the way, painted, numbered and weathered it, thinking, after a month or two, 'I can live with that', then that one rare photo-the one your mate told you hed seen 30 years earlier but no one can find now, even after hours of searches, physically and online-appears that proves that one has got such and such detail wrong-'oh bother!'. We can only do our best, with what we have to hand. It is a hobby after all a pleasure.

Love it.  IMHO, The rivets on the tanks add character to a loco which is already oozing with character.  I'm looking forward to getting mine in the mail.  ;)

Hi Mike,

Im sorely tempted by another, but as a modeller of diesels, I have to resist! <Mumbles.....must....resist.....must resist> LOL!

Kindest to all, New Year's wishes,

CME.

• Like 1

Thanks for the information.

Anyone have information as to which of those #s were delivered without top feed?

Guest Isambarduk

snapback.png

coachmann, on 09 Jan 2018 - 12:24, said: Mine was a question that I was confident one of the few remaining railway modellers on RMweb could answer. There was no requirement for any pretentious fake modeller to respond.

If you were addressing me, coachmann, I do apologise: I had no intention to offend.  Please accept my apologies.

On the 'fake modeller', yes, I suppose I am really, given that I am more of a model engineer than a railway modeller, that I have never built a model railway of my own and that I have preferred to accept running powers offered to me over the years by many good friends.  That said, I have been known to build a passable loco or two over the past few decades.

Pretentious, I do hope not because I was endeavouring to make a serious point, to which some members do seem to have related, but I should not clog up Chris and Chris's thread with trying to elaborate upon it here.

David

snapback.png

If you were addressing me, coachmann, I do apologise: I had no intention to offend.  Please accept my apologies.

On the 'fake modeller', yes, I suppose I am really, given that I am more of a model engineer than a railway modeller, that I have never built a model railway of my own and that I have preferred to accept running powers offered to me over the years by many good friends.  That said, I have been known to build a passable loco or two over the past few decades.

Pretentious, I do hope not because I was endeavouring to make a serious point, to which some members do seem to have related, but I should not clog up Chris and Chris's thread with trying to elaborate upon it here.

David

I had asked for some advice on Pannier Top Feeds and allocations of the rivetted tank 57XX's and I assumed I was being told not to take my railway modelling so seriously David. Bad mistake and it is me who is apologizing.

Edited by coachmann

As you may recall, the initial delivery of our 8750 Panniers was about 6 weeks late last summer, due to a moulding issue that needed a little extra time to put right.

Despite our best efforts, and of those in our factory, it was not possible to recover these few weeks for the delivery of the 57xxs, which arrived in November, rather than the start of October as expected.

Sadly, once again we find ourselves unable to recover the missing weeks for the riveted panniers, which we had expected at the end of January 2018. We are still about six weeks behind. However, we have now confirmed that the first models will arrive in March 2018, but it is unlikely that they will be here in time for the Gauge 0 Guild show at Kettering.

We will be attending the Gloucester 0 gauge Group show at Hardwicke on the 25th March, and we are as sure as we can be that we will have received the models by then.

We know that many of our customers budget carefully to purchase our models, so we hope that this will provide some guidance as to when funds will be needed. We are sorry to disappoint anyone, but, to look on the bright side; at least the delay is a small number of weeks rather than several years………..