Minerva GWR Pannier Tank - open for advanced orders

81A Oldoak

• RMweb Gold

On most locomotives, the slacker pipe (or 'pep') pipe is connected  into the delivery pipe that goes between the live steam injector, and the non-return valve ('clack') of the locomotive boiler. By adjusting the feed, you can get a varying temperature, anywhere between cold water or steam.

Hope this helps.

Ian.

• Like 1

On most locomotives, the slacker pipe (or 'pep') pipe is connected  into the delivery pipe that goes between the live steam injector, and the non-return valve ('clack') of the locomotive boiler. By adjusting the feed, you can get a varying temperature, anywhere between cold water or steam.

Hope this helps.

Ian.

Hi Ian,

My thoughts too, I thought that there was a link with one of the clack valves.....thanks for clearing that matter up, interesting to know.

ATVB

CME

My firing experience is somewhat dated, being, for several happy summers, some 40 years ago on the Ffestiniog.

I don't recall a pep pipe on Linda or Blanche, on which I spent most of my shifts, presumably because washing down the oil tank was going to be neither necessary, nor helpful.

Indeed, I've never fired anything where a shovel may be needed, other than for cooking.

best

Simon

Actually, strictly not true, although the shovel was more teaspoon-sized. And one day, I'll finish my own Rob Roy, though breath-holding is not recommended!

Edited by Simond
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

My firing experience is somewhat dated, being, for several happy summers, some 40 years ago on the Ffestiniog. 

I don't recall a pep pipe on Linda or Blanche, on which I spent most of my shifts, presumably because washing down the oil tank was going to be neither necessary, nor helpful. 

Indeed, I've never fired anything where a shovel may be needed, other than for cooking.

best

Simon

As Simon has said, the process of an oil fired locomotive is a different work practice. With a coal fired locomotive, using the pep pipe allows the fireman to swill off the dust that accumulates on the footplate. Also, water gets used to keep the dust down in the bunker or tender space. On an 9F, it was common practice to mix up a couple of tons of slurry (small coal & dust) to pack up tight on the back corners, to prevent the corners burning through prematurely. In tight situations, you can also make tea, but not always!

Ian.

As Simon has said, the process of an oil fired locomotive is a different work practice. With a coal fired locomotive, using the pep pipe allows the fireman to swill off the dust that accumulates on the footplate. Also, water gets used to keep the dust down in the bunker or tender space. On an 9F, it was common practice to mix up a couple of tons of slurry (small coal & dust) to pack up tight on the back corners, to prevent the corners burning through prematurely. In tight situations, you can also make tea, but not always!

Ian.

Interesting.  I would think that the center of the fire would burn through faster than the corners.  (at least, that's my experience with live steamers, running 3.5" up to 7.25" gauge)

• RMweb Gold

Interesting.  I would think that the center of the fire would burn through faster than the corners.  (at least, that's my experience with live steamers, running 3.5" up to 7.25" gauge)

Depends on whether you have a deep narrow firebox or a wide shallow one that sits above the frames.

Also where the grate is sloped, the vibration generated when you are running tends to make the fire run towards the throat plate, leaving the corners nearest the footplate Which you can't easily see) exposed.

Hope this helps.

Ian.

Thanks for the further info. For those of us who haven't a clue about the technical bits of steam locos, are there any photos (as per the previous answer) to show what that all means, please??!! :blush:

see link in Kev's post

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/115316-minerva-gwr-pannier-tank-open-for-advanced-orders/?p=2859163

This is the inside of the cab-sheet on the left hand side of a 28xx. 

You will see the hose - "pep pipe" or "slack pipe" or other variants - attached to a tap, which is itself attached to the feed from the injector (which is under the cab) to the boiler (typiclaly but not always Top Feed in latter GW days), thus providing the crew with running hot & cold water.

The hose was often to be seen leading out over the cabside, and trapped within the handrail, thus visible from the outside of the loco.  An easily-modellable detail.  A bit of black-insulated instrument wire, for example.

HTH

Simon

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the further info. For those of us who haven't a clue about the technical bits of steam locos, are there any photos (as per the previous answer) to show what that all means, please??!! :blush:

SimonD of this parish has a photo, and post about the pipe. Some had the pipe visible, sometimes not. I strongly recommend Castle (also of this parish) who conducts visits around Didcot Railway Centre. I've missed the last 2-3 tours, but they are highly instructive, and very good fun. Highly recommended!

Ian.

see link in Kev's post

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/115316-minerva-gwr-pannier-tank-open-for-advanced-orders/?p=2859163

This is the inside of the cab-sheet on the left hand side of a 28xx. 

You will see the hose - "pep pipe" or "slack pipe" or other variants - attached to a tap, which is itself attached to the feed from the injector (which is under the cab) to the boiler (typiclaly but not always Top Feed in latter GW days), thus providing the crew with running hot & cold water.

The hose was often to be seen leading out over the cabside, and trapped within the handrail, thus visible from the outside of the loco.  An easily-modellable detail.  A bit of black-insulated instrument wire, for example.

HTH

Simon

SimonD of this parish has a photo, and post about the pipe. Some had the pipe visible, sometimes not. I strongly recommend Castle (also of this parish) who conducts visits around Didcot Railway Centre. I've missed the last 2-3 tours, but they are highly instructive, and very good fun. Highly recommended!Ian.

Yes I saw the link & saved the photo for future reference. I thought Tom's post was describing some other connection/fittings; I assume it was actually describing the same thing, in words? As I said, not being well versed in the finer points of steam locos means that sometimes 'words only' descriptions lose me a bit, hence why I asked for another photo link.

Anyway thanks again to everyone for the help! Much appreciated. :yes:

• Like 1

Just a reminder that the early-bird discount offer for the riveted tank version of the Minerva 57XX 0-6-0PT RTR 0 Gauge loco expires at the end of 30th September 2017. This is the third and final batch of 57XX/8750s to be produced and is scheduled for delivery in January 2018. The 57XX welded tank version is scheduled for delivery in November this year. The 8750s are in stock, but the first consignment of the GREAT WESTERN lettered version sold out in the first week. The next consignment is due to arrive in the UK on 12th October 2017 and we will work hard to clear the backlog of orders. Details of how to order are on the Minerva website or phone me on the 07775 number on the website: https://www.minervamodelrailways.co.uk/how-to-order/

post-13142-0-24422900-1506586758_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Another "Bits of a Pannier Tank I never knew existed" moment....

I was having a look through the 'bits bag' of my Minerva Pannier the other evening. Quite a few details to add, & some will involve drilling holes. Who says R-T-R is just about opening boxes??!! :sarcastic:

Anyway I digress - as well as the two very long pipes to add along the chassis, there are two other 'wriggly pipes' that I have no idea what they are, or where they should go :scratchhead: :dontknow: - & I don't mean the buffer beam hoses!! Even a Kettle Numpty like me can work those out!!

Can't take a photo now as not home, but once again hopefully Enlightenment shall be realised on this Thread... ;)

Another "Bits of a Pannier Tank I never knew existed" moment....

I was having a look through the 'bits bag' of my Minerva Pannier the other evening. Quite a few details to add, & some will involve drilling holes. Who says R-T-R is just about opening boxes??!! :sarcastic:

Anyway I digress - as well as the two very long pipes to add along the chassis, there are two other 'wriggly pipes' that I have no idea what they are, or where they should go :scratchhead: :dontknow: - & I don't mean the buffer beam hoses!! Even a Kettle Numpty like me can work those out!!

Can't take a photo now as not home, but once again hopefully Enlightenment shall be realised on this Thread... ;)

The extra pipes are alternative injector pipes to replace if desired those that come fitted to the loco. As you can see in the photo of 8752 they take the pipe through the footplate rather than across and over the valence as supplied on the model and shown on 3608. As for RTR, well you can take the loco straight of the box, put it on the track and it is ready to run. However, we have tried to accommodate as many options as possible while keeping costs reasonable, the most significant being the fitting or ommission of top-feed apparatus (mass-produced 4mm scale versions usually only offer top-feed fitted locos with moulded bunker steps which is wrong for as-built locos). Consequently, two types of steps to fit on the front of the tanks and optional steps and handrail for the bunker are supplied. The 67XX series of 57XX/8750 locos were mostly not fitted with vacuum brakes and steam heat  so the buffer beams and footplate valences were bare. This series was also fitted with simple three-link chain couplings rather than screw couplings.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,

CK

post-13142-0-57031200-1506608001.jpg

post-13142-0-67007900-1506608081.jpg

• Like 1

Certainly does help, Chris, thanks!!

Re R-T-R, I certainly have been running it 'out of the box' :D but your approach makes good sense, & is something I've often thought would be good for 7mm models, as I bet many modellers are like me - coming to the Senior Scale after super-detailing 4mm Lima & Hornby diesels in the '80s!! :O so well used to "adding bits" to models, even if not really committed to the whole 'etched brass kit' scene that has dominated O up to now.

Edited by F-UnitMad
  • Like 3

Guest Isambarduk

As for RTR, well you can take the loco straight of the box, put it on the track and it is ready to run.

So I am told; I really should aspire to be able to do this ... one day ;-)   David

Does this count as voiding the warranty, then?post-704-0-87140700-1506719442_thumb.jpg

Made a start tonight on weathering my Pannier, before adding the extra details I should say, as it's easier to access some areas that way.

This is going to be 3675, which was one of the very last Panniers active in the Forest of Dean right up to the last day of steam on the Western Region, Friday 31st Dec 1965.

Research seems to indicate that 3675 lost it's driver's side numberplate in the last few months of service, and definitely lost the smokebox numberplate, but retained the fireman's side 'plate. Fascinating research, & at least the 50% discount for Narrow Planet etched 'plates seems very apt somehow, as I'll only be using one!! :D

The photo is taken on my micrO-layout Lyddlow Goods which *cue shameless plug* will be at the 5th Cradley Heath MRC Show, Sat 14th Oct 2017, Community Centre, Reddal Hill Rd, B64. ;)

• Like 2

Does this count as voiding the warranty, then?attachicon.gif20170929_214937.jpg

Made a start tonight on weathering my Pannier, before adding the extra details I should say, as it's easier to access some areas that way.

This is going to be 3675, which was one of the very last Panniers active in the Forest of Dean right up to the last day of steam on the Western Region, Friday 31st Dec 1965.

Research seems to indicate that 3675 lost it's driver's side numberplate in the last few months of service, and definitely lost the smokebox numberplate, but retained the fireman's side 'plate. Fascinating research, & at least the 50% discount for Narrow Planet etched 'plates seems very apt somehow, as I'll only be using one!! :D

The photo is taken on my micrO-layout Lyddlow Goods which *cue shameless plug* will be at the 5th Cradley Heath MRC Show, Sat 14th Oct 2017, Community Centre, Reddal Hill Rd, B64. ;)

Nice Jordan!

Im still researching numbering mine, trying to keep it to those running on Ex-M&SWJR and/or Fairford/Highworth brances, but as I also like the RFoD and need a long lived loco I also discovered 3575 but needed to get my head around Pannier numbering etc for 8750s....as with the Class 22s et al in the RFoD there always seems some nice anomalies re works/number plates etc too.

ATVB,

CME

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher
  • Like 1

I have been weathering my personalised Minerva 8750 for work on Cwm Bach. Number 3753 was an Aberdare engine. The only items that don't come with model are the number plates and shedcode plate (Narrow Planet), lamps (ModelU), route indicator discs (Roxey Mouldings 7A109 SR Headcode Discs), paint and weathering powders. I have attached a Charles Atlas "before" photo for comparison.

Looking forward to the 57XX next.

Regards,

Chris

post-13142-0-93974400-1507303627_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-61214300-1507303632_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-85496900-1507303637_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-84302700-1507303654_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-84242100-1507303666_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

I have been weathering my personalised Minerva 8750 for work on Cwm Bach. Number 3753 was an Aberdare engine. The only items that don't come with model are the number plates and shedcode plate (Narrow Planet), lamps (ModelU), route indicator discs (Roxey Mouldings 7A109 SR Headcode Discs), paint and weathering powders. I have attached a Charles Atlas "before" photo for comparison.

Looking forward to the 57XX next.

Regards,

Chris

Hi Chris,

Very nice! Can you talk us through your weathering process as the engine looks nicely 'care worn', subtle.

ATVB

CME