Churminster & Stowe Magna, Southern Railway

Tony Teague

• RMweb Gold
On 16/03/2021 at 19:04, Mick Bonwick said:

I'm impressed with the lack of 'dumped stuff.' Was it all stacked behind you when you pressed the shutter? :lol:

No!  :O

I really did clear up - well except for that area down the centre that isn't scenic'd yet, and except for my workbench - both of which I will illustrate in due course.....:declare:

Edited by Tony Teague
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
53 minutes ago, Tony Teague said:

I think what is important is that things get finished!

I need to remember that! :good:

As you say, it is by comparing old and new photographs that you appreciate what has been achieved, as well as what has not. Positivity!

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

I think the before and after shots show a good amount of progress, given the size of your layout etc.

I wish I had that amount of space to use, although I think my progress would be even slower!

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Brief update today:

The main line blockade has been lifted following progress with the 3rd rail installation.

6 of 8 rail lengths are fully installed and the other two (plus a couple of very short bits) have been prepared with insulator pots, however, the location for these last lengths is above the stairwell with about a 12' drop to the floor below and requires a ladder placed on the stairs, so I will not be fitting these until my good friend Martin is available to cushion my fall hold the safety net (&/or the ladder)! :D

A further wagon lettered, so only one left to complete of the five built back in February - then all 5 will go for a coat of Testor's Dullcote.

Feel's better already and some trains may run tomorow!

Tony

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Tony Teague said:

I can't actually remember what is wrong with the other 12 so fixing them could take some time!

Try running them. They could well have fixed themselves in the meantime.

• Like 2

On 17/03/2021 at 06:24, Tony Teague said:

it is at least three weeks since I last posted an update, and I'm afraid that it is again down to that unreliable mojo, which continues to go AWOL whenever it feels like it; I do, of course, also have other calls on my time!

The loss of mojo is the bane of my modelling existence. I surely can't be the only one who wants to do something, but just sits at the workbench umm-ing and ahh-ing, and then becoming frustrated by the wastage of time, only to find myself going in circles. 

You did the (extremely successful) A-Z of southern locos, Perhaps it's time to do the A-Z of rolling stock? :D 

All jokes aside, I would love to see further photos of your NPC stock, or even maybe video of trains running? :O

• Agree 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
39 minutes ago, Jack P said:

The loss of mojo is the bane of my modelling existence. I surely can't be the only one who wants to do something, but just sits at the workbench umm-ing and ahh-ing, and then becoming frustrated by the wastage of time, only to find myself going in circles. 

You did the (extremely successful) A-Z of southern locos, Perhaps it's time to do the A-Z of rolling stock? :D 

All jokes aside, I would love to see further photos of your NPC stock, or even maybe video of trains running? :O

I agree with that as an idea. On Gresley Jn I’ve found running the sequence through and filming every movement to put on RMWeb helps give me a purpose. I wouldn’t run the trains otherwise and it keeps highlighting things I need to do.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Jack P said:

In the UK we are currently preoccupied with a different A-Z  (a vaccine) but i'll see what I can do Jack.

I think we share that mojo problem - perhaps we only have one between us! In any event I know from others that we are not alone.

What I have found during our 3rd lockdown is that it has been tougher than the others and that the desire to do the things that you are not permitted to do is sometimes strong enough to stop you doing what you are allowed to do - if that makes sense!

Obviously for some people the desire has been too strong to resist - like the guy who drove from England to Wales to get a haircut (at 120mph and under the influence of drugs); nevertheless, the end appears to be in sight.

Tony

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, thegreenhowards said:

I agree with that as an idea. On Gresley Jn I’ve found running the sequence through and filming every movement to put on RMWeb helps give me a purpose. I wouldn’t run the trains otherwise and it keeps highlighting things I need to do.

Andy

Again, your suggestion is a good one although I am reluctant to keep bringing out a succession of unweathered trains!

I am full of admiration for what you do - day after day a new train appears - it is certainly compelling.

Tony

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, Tony Teague said:

Andy

Again, your suggestion is a good one although I am reluctant to keep bringing out a succession of unweathered trains!

I am full of admiration for what you do - day after day a new train appears - it is certainly compelling.

Tony

Thanks Tony,

There are times when I think ‘do I really have to go up to the loft and run a train today’. Occasionally I let lethargy take over and have a days break, but I do find it a good discipline. I wouldn’t use the layout without it except when people like you come to visit.

I find most people are appreciative of what I put up, warts and all. I do often resort to the ‘it’s in the weathering queue’ excuse without mentioning how long the queue is! 

Andy

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

A slightly different update for today - Steve Hewitt has advised that he is about to start building my 2nd batch of semaphore signals, these being for that part of the northern end of Stowe Magna that is not colour-light signalled.

I am posting two of his schematic drawings below, in case anyone with better knowledge than I wants to point out errors in my specification before it is too late for Steve to put them right!

298018813_SM6G(2).jpg.a5c2139fc87d93a284d538ce24bb0781.jpg

The first is the down (southbound) approach signal to the north end of SM station where the main, left hand doll covers the main running line through platform 5, the centre doll covers the terminating bay platform 7, whilst the third left hand doll covers entry into the goods yard and locoshed area.

SM7GSG.jpg.045ddc5f3c7f0b26b1f030287b0b91b1.jpg

The second signal is the up (northbound) starter from platform 6 which also has a shunt ahead arm to allow changing of locos here, and light engine movements forward so that they can then reverse into the locoshed / goods yard headshunt; their subsequent reversal will be covered by a related ground signal.

Because the layout does not follow a prototype it is certainly possible that I may not have aligned my specification with best practice, although all of the available references have been consulted, and so any feedback is welcome - but only if it is soon!

Tony

Edited by Tony Teague
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, thegreenhowards said:

I find most people are appreciative of what I put up, warts and all. I do often resort to the ‘it’s in the weathering queue’ excuse without mentioning how long the queue is! 

You have my sympathy!

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Arun Sharma said:

This must be where the light at the end of the tunnel come from - or is the one used to search for waylaid mojos?

That could be where they are hiding! - The most inaccessible place on the layout....

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, Tony Teague said:

A week or so ago I started to show some 'then and now' images which in some way were helping me to see that I had actually achieved quite a lot over recent years, and that whilst there remains plenty to be done, nevertheless there has been significant progress.

I didn't quite finish that virtual 'tour' and so here are a few more 'then and now' comparisons which I hope might be of interest:

SJP117_175802051219.jpg.018f78311a4dea732a65ace259ca255a.jpg

This is from 15 years ago and shows the viaduct at the far end of the room even before track had been laid - the location doesn't yet have a name! - it is made up from Hornby resin cast components. Here it is in 2017 with backscene by Mike Gascoigne:

SJPPC31001502181231.jpg.f45145e5f1e83090bec151807c3fbb26.jpg

and as of today:

SJPP316002502210316.jpg.9411fadd55018295a9e1aee154507290.jpg

It is not quite finished, but it has certainly come a long way!

One thing that the top picture shows is the two main line tracks that run along and into the main fiddle yard; these are now behind the backscene and potentially, this is actually the most inaccessible location on the layout.

Just to make matters worse, after the top picture was taken I inserted a third track between the two shown; it is a terminating turn back siding and is used by EMU's and pull - push trains and is matched by an equal and opposite terminating turn-back siding, pointing in the other direction, in the centre of the main fiddle yard.

Whilst on the subject of fiddle yards.....

SJP116_168302051106.jpg.33a7929ecade8f1391a7718832fc235b.jpg

This was the first attempt at the main fidddle yard in 2005; it fairly quickly got re-laid, and then re-laid again, after I worked out - having visited Tony Wright's 'Little Bytham' - that I really didn't need so much space between storage roads (2nd attempt) and that complex cross-overs at the entry to the yard were a BAD THING (3rd attempt):

SJPIMG_106002150522.jpg.d2fc4515b2ee8015d39984ba888b8bf2.jpg

Here it is now, with the upper fiddle yard above it, and all roads fitted with irdot detectors to show status on the panel, and in longer roads holding more than one train, to allow trains to move up automatically:

SJPPC17002402161217.jpg.055a393aa109b19903324f7c0e03bebe.jpg

In both the viaduct and fiddle yard areas there is very little remaining to be done, and so I regard the efforts of the last few years in these areas as pretty positive.

Tony

To  praphraise The Mask........"That's a SPICEY Fiddleyard!":lol::lol:

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, Sandhole said:

To  praphraise The Mask........"That's a SPICEY Fiddleyard!":lol::lol:

I'll take that as a compliment!

Along with one another yard, not shown here, it is what allows me to store a significant number of trains (what I call "several" :rofl:) - which was a key design consideration.

Tony

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

12 minutes ago, Tony Teague said:

I'll take that as a compliment!

Along with one another yard, not shown here, it is what allows me to store a significant number of trains (what I call "several" :rofl:) - which was a key design consideration.

Tony

It is a complement.
Speaking as one who has, what I thought was a big fiddle yard and isn't.:lol:
I stand in awe of your superb edifice.
Regards,
Chris.

• Thanks 1