Churminster & Stowe Magna, Southern Railway

Tony Teague

• RMweb Gold
48 minutes ago, Mick Bonwick said:

Progress, nonetheless. :good:

Similar delays here - only one quarter of the rail length painted that I had aimed for. There's always tomorrow! :sungum:

Yes I am certainly further ahead than I was on Thursday evening!

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Nicely done Tony. "Chunking it down" into manageable segments is a very measured approach. I also like that entire 'trains' will share the same weathering. 

Keen to see what 2038 Looks like, mine has only received a coat of gloss so far!

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Tony Teague said:

An addition to the wagon stock arrived last week, in the shape of one of the new batch of Rails / Dapol 3D printed ex-SECR vans:

I'm not too happy about the diagonal striations on the underframe. I accept that they won't be visible from normal viewing distances, but once they're weathered I have a feeling that they might become more obvious, especially if close-up photographs are taken.

I suppose that the answer is not to weather them and not to take close-up photographs, but where's the fun in that?

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 23/04/2021 at 19:38, Mick Bonwick said:

I'm not too happy about the diagonal striations on the underframe. I accept that they won't be visible from normal viewing distances, but once they're weathered I have a feeling that they might become more obvious, especially if close-up photographs are taken.

I suppose that the answer is not to weather them and not to take close-up photographs, but where's the fun in that?

Mick

I did weather one quite lightly from the earlier batch - my efforts were mainly to make the roof dirty - but I did put a bit on the underframe.

I have deliberately uploaded this image larger than I normally do, but I think you struggle to see the striations unless you magnify it much larger than the actual size of the model:

LJPPA09000502201009.jpg.0dde82f4df7b279b6648d4990dbd8f59.jpg

If you do, then as you have indicated, they are most noticable on the brake lever - which I guess you could replace if you wanted to be fussy. Nevertheless I think this re-enforces what I was saying about the relative value of good, injection moulded models.

Tony

Edited by Tony Teague
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Tony,

Thank you for that image. It shows nothing of 'the problem' at all - most encouraging.

I have resolved to tackle one of these tomorrow. Broomfield Terrace guttering is going to have to wait awhile! Reports to follow.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 23/04/2021 at 21:54, Mick Bonwick said:

Tony,

Thank you for that image. It shows nothing of 'the problem' at all - most encouraging.

I have resolved to tackle one of these tomorrow. Broomfield Terrace guttering is going to have to wait awhile! Reports to follow.

Having cheered you up, here's the awful detail:

SJPPA09000502201009.jpg.f99bd72ecb1e594b7143a350c7e71809.jpg

But as I said, you would need a magnifying glass or very good eyesight, or both!

Edited by Tony Teague
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Returning to locomotive matters, I have changed the awful picture of S15 No.826 in my post from a couple of days ago, and added one of the black liveried S15 no.827.

Having researched the S15 question further, and in the absence of any other suggestions, it seems to me that the best thing to do with the two additional models that I have 'in stock', is to acquire a 6 wheel tender for one of them and re-number it in the 833 - 837 series, whilst the other will simply be renumbered elsewhere within the Maunsell S15 range.

Neither of these will influence my "missing locos" list, but as I also said in last Monday's post, there is some progress here too; when we last looked at DS75 I had brush painted it in a bauxite colour which, following some debate, I had concluded was the right livery, but the finish was awful. So a short while ago I re-sprayed the two halves of the 3D printed body and then picked out certain details on both the outside and inside of the bodyshell.

SJPP424000102210424.jpg.37a935d453fffcd5671b69b2726e3ed1.jpg

Today I was able to glaze the cab windows, excepting the front and rear centre panels which can only be done once the two body halves are fixed together - and because there will then be no internal access I will have to use liquid glass on those openings.

Once this has all dried, the next step will be to complete the assembly and because there will be a seam right down the centre of the front, rear and roof, I suspect that this will involve some filler, rubbing down and re-painting. Nevertheless it will not now be long before DS75 joins the operational fleet and is removed from the 'missing locos' list.

Meanwhile over on Mike Edge's workbench 'Hecate' has been taking shape:

...and so this too will soon be coming off the 'wanted' list!

Tony

Edited by Tony Teague
  • Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1

On 25/04/2021 at 07:24, Tony Teague said:

Having reserached the S15 question further, and in the absence of any other suggestions, it seems to me that the best thing to do with the two additional models that I have 'in stock', is to acquire a 6 wheel tender for one of them and re-number it in the 833 - 837 series, whilst the other will simply be renumbered elsewhere within the Maunsell S15 range.

SEF do a kit for the Ashford 6w tender, although i've been meaning to ask PDK if any of the tenders they do are suitable instead.

Edit: It's also pretty straightforward to 'rob' the socket arrnagement from the Hornby tender and fit it to the replacement one. I can share some photos if you'd like?

Edited by Jack P
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Jack P said:

SEF do a kit for the Ashford 6w tender, although i've been meaning to ask PDK if any of the tenders they do are suitable instead.

Edit: It's also pretty straightforward to 'rob' the socket arrnagement from the Hornby tender and fit it to the replacement one. I can share some photos if you'd like?

Hi Jack

On this one I am just ahead of you - I asked PDK and have their 6wheel tender kit on its way!

Yes, please do share the pictures showing how you fitted the Hornby socket to the new tender.

Tony

Haha, excellent! Which tender did they supply? 

Excuse the not so great photos - the tender is only in a very rudimentary state. I also quickly took these in the office. 

51146636167_382b5b3f23_h.jpg

51146636112_a067f22133_h.jpg

51148093984_e0bfd58e53_h.jpg

Hopefully this shows how it's done, basically just wrapped the socket in insulation tape, and then filed a little slot in the whitemetal tender body where it meets the chassis. The plug end is still loose, this helps with connecting/disconnecting as you can pull it out further. I probably won't leave it like this, but I hadn't touched this since I initially worked on it, well over a year ago now.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Jack.

Of course, I don't use DCC but I can see that this would also lend itself to providing tender pick-ups, if wanted - so I might apply it to that issue.

My PDK tender has yet to arrive, but what I have ordered is the Ashford 4000gallon 6 wheel tender as fitted to S15's 833 - 837, that came originally from Lord Nelsons, via King Arthurs; Paul at PDK also advised that the kit can alternately be built with angled sides as for the one that came from the Schools class, but this was well beyond my date range.

Will report in due course on what arrives and the subsequent build.

Tony

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Jack P said:

Hi Gents

I discovered that you can make a DCC socket from some modular connector and a bit of Vero board, see my Workbench post, although I have found that Maplins no longer sell the connector. I also use this connector to make plugs and sockets for connecting motors, tender to loco connections, etc.

I have found the connector strip on RS Components site: -
Winslow 2.54mm Pitch 32 Way 1 Row Straight Socket Strip

Hope this is useful.

• Informative/Useful 2

On 30/04/2021 at 16:29, Tony Teague said:

Thanks Jack.

Of course, I don't use DCC but I can see that this would also lend itself to providing tender pick-ups, if wanted - so I might apply it to that issue.

My PDK tender has yet to arrive, but what I have ordered is the Ashford 4000gallon 6 wheel tender as fitted to S15's 833 - 837, that came originally from Lord Nelsons, via King Arthurs; Paul at PDK also advised that the kit can alternately be built with angled sides as for the one that came from the Schools class, but this was well beyond my date range.

Will report in due course on what arrives and the subsequent build.

Tony

No worries Tony!

I actually built this tender before I swapped to DCC. The main reason I kept the tender gubbins was to avoid the hassle of rewiring the loco - it just happened to come in very handy later on, when I did swap to DCC.

I had worried that it might be the L1/Q tender, which was incorrect. It's excellent to know that the schools tender (I assume this is the kit it's from), can be built straight sided!

Do you email Paul, or call usually? I might just stay up slightly later tonight and give him a ring.

Looking forward to seeing the build!

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Jack P said:

No worries Tony!

I actually built this tender before I swapped to DCC. The main reason I kept the tender gubbins was to avoid the hassle of rewiring the loco - it just happened to come in very handy later on, when I did swap to DCC.

I had worried that it might be the L1/Q tender, which was incorrect. It's excellent to know that the schools tender (I assume this is the kit it's from), can be built straight sided!

Do you email Paul, or call usually? I might just stay up slightly later tonight and give him a ring.

Looking forward to seeing the build!

Hi Jack

I mailed him first because it wasn't clear to me from the website whether what I wanted was available.

Once he responded I placed the order by telephoning him.

Best wishes

Tony

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Well another two weeks have passed and I am still on painkillers 24/7 as my shingles have turned into 'post-herpetic neuraligia', which it seems can go on for some time - great fun! :fie:

So I have been completely incapacitated and unable to do much, however, there have been a couple of additions to stock:

SJPP513000202210513.jpg.9206322a0ddd277d029fe7a11065bfa7.jpg

Not the best pic I have ever taken, but these are Hornby's new SR gangwayed bogie luggage vans - and they really are excellent models (shown here straight out of the box). The prototypes were seen everywhere and as a result I already have 9 of the very old Triang / Hornby models in the fleet - all of which have been enhanced with Roxey Mouldings upgraded doors etc, and paper corridor connections from Modellers Mecca. They have also been heavily weathered:

SJPP513000502210513.jpg.58abead667d752f64574dfe17a9dbc3c.jpg

The new model has been reviewed elsewhere but a comparison shows just how far RTR models have come in the recent past, and whether or not I will now dispose of the old ones at some point, the old and new models will definately not be rostered next to each other in any train:

SJPP513000702210513.jpg.135fc02dac3abddb34217c97dfdaa313.jpg

Ughh! The old ones looked sort of acceptable until the new ones came along!

Clearly the new vans need weathering and some corridor connections, but once that is done it is going to be hard to justify retaining the older models in the fleet. :cry:

Tony

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Oh, I don't know. I think I'd keep them.

Well I doubt that I'd get much for them, so you're probably right - and in a train of mixed NPCS vehicles, they will probably still look reasonable.

Thx

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, Tony Teague said:

Well another two weeks have passed and I am still on painkillers 24/7 as my shingles have turned into 'post-herpetic neuraligia', which it seems can go on for some time - great fun! :fie:

So I have been completely incapacitated and unable to do much, however, there have been a couple of additions to stock:

Not the best pic I have ever taken, but these are Hornby's new SR gangwayed bogie luggage vans - and they really are excellent models (shown here straight out of the box). The prototypes were seen everywhere and as a result I already have 9 of the very old Triang / Hornby models in the fleet - all of which have been enhanced with Roxey Mouldings upgraded doors etc, and paper corridor connections from Modellers Mecca. They have also been heavily weathered:

The new model has been reviewed elsewhere but a comparison shows just how far RTR models have come in the recent past, and whether or not I will now dispose of the old ones at some point, the old and new models will definately not be rostered next to each other in any train:

Clearly the new vans need weathering and some corridor connections, but once that is done it is going to be hard to justify retaining the older models in the fleet. :cry:

Tony

Tony,

There are some very noticeable differences such as the angle iron underframe, the battery (?) box and the angle of the bracing on the end panels. Are these differences of build date or just errors?

Apart from these issues (if they are indeed errors), the older models look fine to me. Don’t run them together with the new ones as the chunkier nature of the mouldings would be apparent, but in a rake together or with other similar vintage vehicles I think they’d look good.

Andy

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
38 minutes ago, thegreenhowards said:

Tony,

There are some very noticeable differences such as the angle iron underframe, the battery (?) box and the angle of the bracing on the end panels. Are these differences of build date or just errors?

Apart from these issues (if they are indeed errors), the older models look fine to me. Don’t run them together with the new ones as the chunkier nature of the mouldings would be apparent, but in a rake together or with other similar vintage vehicles I think they’d look good.

Andy

Andy

You are right, plus the old models are actually the wrong length - there were two different lengths and the old model sits between them! I also notice from my pics that the bodies of the older vehicles are slightly warped / banana shaped, and I think that probably applies to all of them.

As you say, so long as the old and new don't run together they are probably OK and given that the new ones are more or less sold out on delivery (Hattons were unable to fulfil my original order) I doubt that I could easily replace the rest of my fleet.

Tony

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

On 13/05/2021 at 13:37, Tony Teague said:

Tony

I'm going to get a couple of the new ones.
My Triang/Roxey model stays, it's part of my modelling history.
I think people on here know I like to stay connected with my modelling past.
I hope you feel better soon,
Sending good vibes from Manchester.
Regards,
Chris.

Edited by Sandhole
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Mick Bonwick said:

I have to say that the MN looks really good, even without dirt on it. Is there a case for clean and shiny rather than grubby and mucky?

I was considering a coat of Kleer and just alight dusting on the wheels, perhaps a dusting on the top - what do you think?

• Like 1