Churminster & Stowe Magna, Southern Railway

Tony Teague

Spent an enjoyable day with Andy (thegreenhowards) yesterday, followed by a less enjoyable couple of hours on the M25, but no matter! - Andy many thanks for your hospitality and assistance with some Mousa Models coach sides - of which more in due course!

I was able to collect the L12 that Andy has put so much effort into, and today she got 'decaled' and sprayed with Testor's Dullcote:

attachicon.gifSJPPB14000602181114.jpg

She is a fine looking loco and now just a few details remain - clack valves & related pipework, cab interior, back-head & floor, crew, headcode discs, & of course weathering, but I am very pleased with her and especially to mark off another one from the "missing" list!

attachicon.gifSJPPB14000402181114.jpg

With the E6-X now going through some similar final detailing, the "missing" list now looks like this - I really must finish that Kirtley R! :

Missing locos where the solution is now in hand (2):

LB&SCR Billinton E5X    (4) - 3D printed body now ordered from Shapeways + SEF E5 chassis kit in hand

SECR Kirtey R               (18) - assembly (by me) at advanced stage from SE Finecast R1 kit

Missing locos where a potential solution has been identified (10):

SECR Wainwright B1    (16) - a Jidenco kit exists but I can't find one (and it may not be that great!)

LB&SCR Billinton B4X   (12) - potential solution through a 3D printed body under exploration

LSWR Drummond C14  (3) - potential solution = CSP / Agenoria kit announced years ago but yet to be delivered

LB&SCR Marsh D3X      (1) - potential solution through indication of a forthcoming 3D printed body, chassis to be sourced

LB&SCR Billinton E4X    (4)- potential solution through a 3D printed body + RTR Bachmann E4 chassis under exploration

SECR Wainwright F1      (9) - solution = Jidenco kit held but not yet in build (& may be difficult / lacking accuracy)

SR Maunsell I1X             (18) - potential solution through a 3D printed body explored + Alan Gibson milled chassis frames in hand

LSWR Drummond S11   (10) - further set of L12 body parts requested + SE Finecast T9 chassis in hand for modification (think T9 with large boiler & smaller wheels)

Soton Dock Co. 0458      (1) - possible solution to modify CSP Agenoria kit CSP 04 identified & kit now obtained

DS75                                (1) - exploring possible solution via newly drawn etches

Missing locos where no solution has yet been identified (3):

LB&SCR Marsh C3        (8)

KESR 0-8-0T Hecate      (1)

Fowler diesel shunter      (2)

Ideas, especially on the last 3 are always welcome!

Finally, I have also made some scenic progress in the area to the south of Churminster Station, where the line curves away to the left and passes Churminster Quarry:

attachicon.gifSJPP817000602170817.jpg

This area has been completely untouched until now, and it was still possible to see under the raised baseboard to the left, through to the Lower Fiddle Yard; this gap is now blocked, and so the operator (me) will have to rely upon "instruments" when moving this to and from that Fiddle Yard, which is no longer visible! This is the current view north from the road bridge, back towards Churminster Station (running lines to the left covered with card & other materials & quarry buildings removed):

attachicon.gifSJPPB14000702181114.jpg

Next step will be to apply plaster bandage and develop a rock face of some sort adjacent to the narrow gauge line that operates within the quarry.

Tony

That is going to be very impressive.

I assume you will have a 'Shock' of a big chalk face, with all the weathering opportunities that brings!!

The narrow gauge is intriguing! Is this an excuse for a Bachmann Hunslet? If and when they appear!!!

Mind you, I've got a Bachmann Baldwin!! Just 'cos I love the engines!! As well as the fact that I walked a lot of the Snailbeach line in the late 70s.

This was because I was at agric college near Newport Shropshire and I bought my first Land Rover from Griffiths at Hope, which was just up the road!!

I'll watch this with interest!!

Chris.

G'Day Folks

Looking through your wanted stock list, the LB&SCR C3 dose'n't look to difficult to modify from a LMS 4F, I'm not sure on the wheel spacing's of the C3, though.

manna

I'm afraid the only only similarity between the C3 and 4f is the number of wheels. Haha.

• RMweb Gold

That is going to be very impressive.

I assume you will have a 'Shock' of a big chalk face, with all the weathering opportunities that brings!!

The narrow gauge is intriguing! Is this an excuse for a Bachmann Hunslet? If and when they appear!!!

Mind you, I've got a Bachmann Baldwin!! Just 'cos I love the engines!! As well as the fact that I walked a lot of the Snailbeach line in the late 70s.

This was because I was at agric college near Newport Shropshire and I bought my first Land Rover from Griffiths at Hope, which was just up the road!!

I'll watch this with interest!!

Chris.

Chris

Yes, likely to be a chalk face to match others around the layout, but aside from determining that I would have a bit of narrow gauge in there, I have so far done NIL research on available locos; I do have a few wagons but that is it.

Tony

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

G'Day Folks

Looking through your wanted stock list, the LB&SCR C3 dose'n't look to difficult to modify from a LMS 4F, I'm not sure on the wheel spacing's of the C3, though.

manna

I'm afraid the only only similarity between the C3 and 4f is the number of wheels. Haha.

I confess that I have done very little research on the C3 so far, however, what is interesting is that the boiler used was the same one used to upgrade the E5 and E6 to E5-X and E6-X - so perhaps a good starting point might actually be to look at these two tank engines and see whether the bunker might be removed to turn them into a tender loco - the wheels on the C3 are however, smaller and so a different chassis would also be called for... and so on... :scratchhead:

I personally thought that the C3 looked more like the SR Q class. :sungum:

Tony

Edited by Tony Teague

I confess that I have done very little research on the C3 so far, however, what is interesting is that the boiler used was the same one used to upgrade the E5 and E6 to E5-X and E6-X - so perhaps a good starting point might actually be to look at these two tank engines and see whether the bunker might be removed to turn them into a tender loco - the wheels on the C3 are however, smaller and so a different chassis would also be called for... and so on... :scratchhead:

I personally thought that the C3 looked more like the SR Q class. :sungum:

Tony

The C3 boiler was also used on the C2X rebuilds, so with both DJH and Nu-Cast kits available, they might be a useful source for the boiler, and perhaps cab. The wheel diameter was the same (5' 0") in both 0-6-0 classes, although the wheelbases were very different. The C3 wheelbase was the same as the E4, and also had the same wheel diameter, so it might be possible to graft a modified C2X body onto an E4 chassis. With the imminent reappearance of the Nu-Cast kit via SEF and Branchlines, it might be easier to obtain any castings required from SEF. There is also an etched brass kit for the C2X from Ace, which I have thought might make a good starting point, as the various modifications required to the smokebox, cab and footplate might be easier with brass sheet than with chunks of white metal castings, but I would need to see how close the parts actually are before going too far.

I must also dig out my Dean Sidings E4X body kit. When I first bought it, and its companion E4, I compared the bodies with the info I had, and, although I identified a few flaws, they were, as I recall, mainly with the E4, and the E4X wasn't too bad. Given the amount of work that is often required to make a 3D print suitable for use, I think the resin body might not be a complete write-off. That was when they first appeared, I don't know if the later productions were better or worse.

• RMweb Gold

Following our discussion on the LBSCR C3 I have had a great offer from my good friend Arun (who produced the L12 parts) to design and 3D print one!

So that is another that can be moved up to the centre part of the list, leaving only two with no solutions:

Missing locos where the solution is now in hand (2):

LB&SCR Billinton E5X    (4) - 3D printed body now ordered from Shapeways + SEF E5 chassis kit in hand

SECR Kirtey R               (18) - assembly (by me) at advanced stage from SE Finecast R1 kit

Missing locos where a potential solution has been identified (10):

SECR Wainwright B1    (16) - a Jidenco kit exists but I can't find one (and it may not be that great!)
LB&SCR Billinton B4X   (12) - potential solution through a 3D printed body under exploration

LB&SCR Marsh C3        (8) -  solution identified through 3D design & print

LSWR Drummond C14  (3) - potential solution = CSP / Agenoria kit announced years ago but yet to be delivered
LB&SCR Marsh D3X      (1) - potential solution through indication of a forthcoming 3D printed body, chassis to be sourced
LB&SCR Billinton E4X    (4)- potential solution through a 3D printed body + RTR Bachmann E4 chassis under exploration
SECR Wainwright F1      (9) - solution = Jidenco kit held but not yet in build (& may be difficult / lacking accuracy)
SR Maunsell I1X             (18) - potential solution through a 3D printed body explored + Alan Gibson milled chassis frames in hand
LSWR Drummond S11   (10) - further set of L12 body parts requested + SE Finecast T9 chassis in hand for modification (think T9 with large boiler & smaller wheels)

Soton Dock Co. 0458      (1) - possible solution to modify CSP Agenoria kit CSP 04 identified & kit now obtained

DS75                                (1) - exploring possible solution via newly drawn etches

Missing locos where no solution has yet been identified (3):

KESR 0-8-0T Hawthorn Leslie No.949 'Hecate'      (1)

Fowler 0-4-0DM diesel shunter (Nos.400S & 600S)     (2)

I must look at these last two more carefully; perhaps they are something that Judith Edge or High Level would produce?

Tony

Edited by Tony Teague
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

The drawings for 'Hecate' are freely available online, could you not commission a 3D print of it and a chassis then motorise it, add wheels and plenty of weight?

Yes, that is what will or has happened for the E4-X, E5-X, E6-X, etc and seems the most likely route, although these 3 at least had chassis kits or RTR chassis available.

I had not got as far as looking for plans of this one, so thanks for alerting me to them - I take it you mean those on the Col. Stephens Society webpage?

I have checked the kit manufacturers and there is nothing out there so far as I can see, so I think that all that is stopping me is that I have far too many projects on the go at once!

Need to finish a few and then ultimately, this one will get nearer to the top of the heap.

Tony

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Well last week was a good week!

On Sunday I spent a most enjoyable day at Warley and met up with some old friends, as well as meeting new ones; for me the best layout in the show by a long distance was Liverpool Lime Street - it looks great and was running well. I'm afraid some others were suffering from either nothing moving, or from "the hand of god", neither of which attracts me. Nevertheless I always admire those who are prepared to put their work up for public scrutiny!

My own highlight was that I was able to have conversations with a, for now, nameless modeller who has agreed to take on the last two items on my "missing" list, ex-KESR 'Hecate' and the Fowler shunters DS400 & 600 - so although I am a long way from saying that my project is complete, I now have solutions for every single loco - which is excellent news! The person concerned has is also interested in the ex-LSWR C14 which means that I may have an alternate, and perhaps more viable, solution for this locomotive! Excellent news!

Back at home, the quarry area is all but scenically finished; I last showed it looking like this:

post-14629-0-88832700-1543328401_thumb.jpg

Since when I have covered the area with plaster bandage and then a thin layer of polyfilla:

post-14629-0-17158000-1543328466_thumb.jpg

Then yesterday, Mike the artist joined me to work on the quarry face whilst I distressed the quarry building, which together have  now reached his point:

post-14629-0-42641300-1543328596_thumb.jpg

I regard this as almost finished but not quite - but here are some further views:

post-14629-0-24389900-1543328681_thumb.jpg

The dry stone walling along the top layer needs to be extended to reach the bridge.

post-14629-0-94231800-1543328700_thumb.jpg

Here is the opposing view past Churminster South signal box towards the quarry and the overbridge:

post-14629-0-61730800-1543329151_thumb.jpg

I regret that the area on this side of the tracks is not going to get attended to for a while yet - it is fast becoming the only place that there is to put anything!

Tony

• Like 11

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Another busy week, including a most enjoyable visit to Little Bytham, and I'll provide a further update on progress with the layout within the next day or so.

In the meantime, a parcel arrived today from Shapeways, enclosing the new E5-X print and she looks very good:

SJPPC05000302181205.jpg.a25e1e983d448839f8cadb0579391213.jpg

The recently completed E6-X was printed in Shapeways "Smooth Fine Detail" plastic, but this is in "Smoothest Fine Detail" plastic - and so it was obviously more expensive! I look forward to finding out whether it actually delivers a smoother finish.

The designer, Javier has included a cab interior as an option for this model and so I thought I would try it - whether the motor and gearbox will fit so easily remains to be seen:

SJPPC05000702181205.jpg.00c6cda27e88cee75457f90362af294c.jpg

At the same time Javier has made the cab interior available separately and so I have acquired this to retro-fit to the E6-X.

So when I get through the current scenic activity it will be straight back to chassis building!

Tony

Edited by Tony Teague
  • Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Having mentioned "scenic activity", here is a quick update on what I have been up to.

I am trying to get the area between Wadley's Brewery at the north end (left):

1468641197_SJP2018-09-1609-18-20(BRadius8Smoothing4)02180915.jpg.be405a1a54b13b6154fbdf6998c27c0d.jpg

and the Churminster Quarry to the south:

SJPPB26003602181126.jpg.0fa73400da60e5523e6f702854420d06.jpg

including the town of Churminster, Churminster Station, loco shed and goods yard to a point where I could consider it "scenically complete" - although I suspect that tweaking and titivation might go on forever!

The town, station, Wadleys Brewery & the Brewery Tap pub are reasonably complete:

SJPP507001602180507.jpg.d39dc8bed6ffc3e0f10d444c11201f04.jpg

and so recent activity was around the loco shed, then the quarry area and most recently the goods yard:

SJPPC11001002181211.jpg.9305e87e93ccd04645d3d1f234d33d8e.jpg

I have used some 'grass mat' from MBR, as well as adding some figures & vehicles - although I am keen not to overdo this:

SJPPC11001202181211.jpg.4f415d631475ae59b79ae575cef34741.jpg

Currently visiting the yard are a pair of LMS Fish Vans (from Chivers kits), but I have had difficulty in sourcing suitable odours to spray them with!

SJPPC11000902181211.jpg.a6f6420d198cb3773e834006661b7381.jpg

Tony

Edited by Tony Teague
  • Like 7

Having mentioned "scenic activity", here is a quick update on what I have been up to.

I am trying to get the area between Wadley's Brewery at the north end (left):

attachicon.gifSJP2018-09-16 09-18-20 (B,Radius8,Smoothing4)02180915.jpg

and the Churminster Quarry to the south:

attachicon.gifSJPPB26003602181126.jpg

including the town of Churminster, Churminster Station, loco shed and goods yard to a point where I could consider it "scenically complete" - although I suspect that tweaking and titivation might go on forever!

The town, station, Wadleys Brewery & the Brewery Tap pub are reasonably complete:

attachicon.gifSJPP507001602180507.jpg

and so recent activity was around the loco shed, then the quarry area and most recently the goods yard:

attachicon.gifSJPPC11001002181211.jpg

I have used some 'grass mat' from MBR, as well as adding some figures & vehicles - although I am keen not to overdo this:

attachicon.gifSJPPC11001202181211.jpg

Currently visiting the yard are a pair of LMS Fish Vans (from Chivers kits), but I have had difficulty in sourcing suitable odours to spray them with!

attachicon.gifSJPPC11000902181211.jpg

Tony

just nail a kipper under the layout! Haha

• RMweb Gold

"I have had difficulty in sourcing suitable odours to spray them with!"

Surely three dimensions is enough.

You are probably right - but I wonder what the equivalent word would be for "weathering" when it comes to smells? - "odouring"?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Maunsell Z class No.954 returned this week, looking good following fairly substantial boiler repairs:

SJPPC16001902181216.jpg.dbc3de7e29ef473d52d194e1e93c3339.jpg

Those who follow this thread may remember that she had to be withdrawn from service following the discovery of a lead shot and PVA mixture inside the boiler which had caused it to split at the seams!

SJPP703000702180703.jpg.9fe5554e4fdcf6f87f2d8e0a3aac585a.jpg

I am grateful to Chris Phillips for putting her back together, and he also gave her a light weathering which I have since tittivated by use of some pigments.

Another loco that has finally entered service is ex-LB&SCR E6-X No.2411:

SJPPC15001302181215.jpg.4fc885b1170edb79daa8fc2f43b717d1.jpg

Although I had posted pictures previously, some small touches such as cab interior, crew and a means of coupling were incomplete, but all are now 'signed off' - so here she is having backed her short freight train into Churminster Yard:

SJPPC16001302181216.jpg.752fc0fc1fb8c5e88c4becfe84c75816.jpg

At the same time, scenic work has continued, and the industrial scene around the Wadley's brewery is now pretty much complete:

SJPPC16000802181216.jpg.46728ef896bcde48fb56289fdf838f9f.jpg

As is the adjoining goods yard:

SJPPC16001102181216.jpg.2fe71616a9c8fe8afa162eabcdc1bb7b.jpg

Now I have no excuse not to complete that ex-LSWR L12 and bring her into service too!

Tony

Edited by Tony Teague
  • Like 13

• RMweb Gold

About a week back I mentioned having paid a visit to Tony Wright & Little Bytham, and in the process I asked the 'loco doctor' to look at 5 problem locos that I had been unable to get to a satisfactory level of performance; Tony very kindly fixed four of these - and in at least 2 cases he did this so quickly as to make me feel completely inadequate!

Following my visit, problems remained with two locos - one works well but will not navigate the over-tight curves on my layout - of which more later, whilst the other, a Hornby Battle of Britain loco was diagnosed as having a split cog in the drive train.

SJPPC21000302181221.jpg.29d57df274d8a510d7a5f38c2fc69f29.jpg

This seems to be a common problem with these and other large Hornby locos of the same manufacturing period; I was able to get replacement gear sets pretty quickly from Peter's Spares (no connection) and finally managed the repair today. It is not simple - because it involves removing the driving wheels, and then getting the quartering right when replacing them - but I seem to have managed it, and as a result 21C104 'Yeovil' has returned to the operational fleet. (Please excuse poor picture!).

SJPPC21000602181221.jpg.865c4221fbbf5148b14f2388069ec1b5.jpg

I was keen to master this repair because I have, shall we say, "several" WC & BoB locos and I suspect that this will not be the last to fail through this fault!

SJPSJPP42000060218042002180420.jpg.ab3a77c1ee0224944f107319025b0485.jpg

Returning to the loco that will not navigate my 2'6" curves, it is a nice-looking kit built ex-LB&SCR E3 and it has a fixed open frame motor; Tony has suggested that replacing this with a can motor and

gearbox will allow more movement in the centre axle, and so we intend to tackle this in the New Year; sadly I think is too late for me to fit wider radius curves!

All this is part of a continual effort to eliminate poor performace - which is something that I find really irritating!

Tony

Edited by Tony Teague
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Is that like you have storage for ‘several’ trains in your fiddle yard(s)?!

Hmm, I sense a bit on cynicism creeping in here! :protest:

But yes, I  certainly have room for more than one train in my fiddle yards (well 74 in fact) - so I suppose you are right!

(However, I certainly don't have 74 spam cans - that would be quite excessive! :nono:

Tony

Edited by Tony Teague

• RMweb Premium

Hmm, I sense a bit on cynicism creeping in here! :protest:

But yes, I certainly have room for more than one train in my fiddle yards (well 74 in fact) - so I suppose you are right!

(However, I certainly don't have 74 spam cans - that would be quite excessive! :nono:

Tony

Moi, cynical...jamais! Jealous would probably be a better word as I attempt to expand my 15 roads to squeeze another couple of trains in!

Edited to correct predictive text typo.

Edited by thegreenhowards