The Dark Side is calling me....

wollastonblue

One of the perks of my job is I can look on RMWeb and play with Anyrail. While browsing many sites, I noticed how cheap American HO stock can be, as well as being DCC Sound fitted, as well as a plethora of kits for buildings. 

For many strange reasons, I recently seem to be interested in railways located in places I've never been to. I'm currently building a RhB layout using Tomix track and Kato stock yet I've yet to go to Switzerland, and the same is now with the US.

I like the idea of switching layout to switch some wagons around various industries, and I have a sheet of 4 x 2 Plywood at my disposal, but funds will have to be released to start on anything else.

3 ideas have come in to my head:

post-7128-0-26019300-1477493026.jpg

A take on Ruston Quays but set somewhere in ultra urban US with a Budd RDC shuttling over the top.

post-7128-0-10701400-1477493034_thumb.jpg

A take on the classic Inglenook shunting switching puzzle.

post-7128-0-27165500-1477493031_thumb.jpg

A bit similar to above but with a potential run around.

I should also point out, I know NOTHING about US operations, or railroads. I'm just looking at liveries that look nice on locos such as Santa Fe Warbonnet (?) or Union Pacific. But I also like the sound of the Provident and Worcester Railroad purely from where I live.

It may be months before I start construction, but there are bargains out there, so who knows.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

• Like 3

Remember that almost all the rolling stock is at least 15cm long in HO (there is shorter stuff, but if you allow 15cm you'll have a wide variety of things you could run). Allow more like 20-25cm for the loco if you want to use a geep or similar for switching.

Otherwise, welcome...

Welcome to the dark side! I agree with Zomboid, factor in more space than you need, although there is a lot of discussion for and against having a runaround on US layouts.

Being a Santa Fe fan myself, I will be watching with interest. Which warbonnet has taken your fancy? Blue and yellow or red and silver?

I'm a fan of keeping trackwork simple. You don't need loads of track and complicated pointwork to have fun with a switching layout.

Plan 1 -  This sort of plan is just not my cup of tea..Trying to figure out the wiring alone, would give me a headache!

Plans 2 and 3 both look good and would work.

Have a look at my videos ( link below) to get an idea of switching operations.

Mal

Edited by Alcanman

Welcome to the dark side! I agree with Zomboid, factor in more space than you need, although there is a lot of discussion for and against having a runaround on US layouts.

Being a Santa Fe fan myself, I will be watching with interest. Which warbonnet has taken your fancy? Blue and yellow or red and silver?

Both to be honest, but the Silver and Red looks fantastic. 

Both to be honest, but the Silver and Red looks fantastic. 

The Silver and Red were mainly used for passenger work, although occassionally they were seen on some freight workings.

What sort of time period are you looking to model? The Silver and Red era was the 40's through to the 60's.

That's a bit of an odd duck that one. This is where it gets a bit confusing, because the Santa Fe did re-introduce the silver and red in the late '80's(I hope someone can clarify that). The original silver and red didn't have the big Santa Fe down the side.

The GP9m I believe was never used by the Santa Fe (that I have found, but there are always exceptions to the rules)

But, as I (and others) always say, it's your railroad! Run whatever makes you happy (and is within your budget!)

That's a bit of an odd duck that one. This is where it gets a bit confusing, because the Santa Fe did re-introduce the silver and red in the late '80's(I hope someone can clarify that). The original silver and red didn't have the big Santa Fe down the side.

The GP9m I believe was never used by the Santa Fe (that I have found, but there are always exceptions to the rules)

And lowly power like 1950s geeps didn't get the fancy paint when it was reintroduced. (1989?)

(But yep, IMTS rules apply! :) )

Warbonnet applied an Alco PA (and an old board game called Rail Baron) is why I'm into American trains.

If you can live with the fact that it's a fictional loco (and Walthers Trainline is a pretty basic range as well, Hornby Railroad is probably superior in terms of detail from what little I've seen, from that image I'm not sure it's even glazed) then it does look nice...

Worry about prototypes, dates & Eras etc later.

That's good advice, you'll invariably end up with early purchases that prove to be wholly unsuitable. I've still got unbuilt kits from my first bulk purchase of freight cars.

Something that is seemingly unknown to most people before they join the dark side is cars invariably have dates painted onto the side, this is done so when a manufacturer copies it in model form, anyone browsing through stock for sale can see whether it fits into their time period.

The red and silver warbonnet is probably THE iconic American paint scheme.  Sadly its very over done on models.  The price of the engine is very attractive, but a red and silver GP9M sorta screams "Train set!!".  The ATSF had F units in red and silver and some passenger equipped engines (E units, FP45's, PA's) and then resurrected it on a run of B40-8's, GP60's and I believe some C44-9's.  Of those a red and silver GP60 would most likely have been down graded to local service by the early 2000's.  Its your railroad and you have to live within your budget so go for what you want.

On any of the track plans you would need to allow at least the length of the track as tail room on the switching lead.  For example on plan 1 the switch back is way too short and there is no place to put the car you pull while you put a new car in the track (without holding onto it).  On plan 2 you will want about double the length on the lead past the switches or you will be stuck shuffling one car at a time.

On any of the track plans you would need to allow at least the length of the track as tail room on the switching lead.  For example on plan 1 the switch back is way too short and there is no place to put the car you pull while you put a new car in the track (without holding onto it).  On plan 2 you will want about double the length on the lead past the switches or you will be stuck shuffling one car at a time.

Just to translate that into British railway terms - make your headshunts longer!! :yes: ;)

One problem with buying via the Internet is that photos of the models are frequently of too poor a resolution for that date to show, well, they are for my particular interests!

Yes, even the manufacturers like Tangent and Exactrail who have hi res photos often fail to show the re weigh dates clearly. Mind you, they are tiny

Thank you for all you help. Guess it's time to play around with Anyrail again. 

This looks very tempting too:

https://www.walthers.com/products/trains/locomotives-traction/diesel/emd-mp15-w-dcc-santa-fe-1212-silver

and hopefully find room for one of these:

https://www.walthers.com/spectrum-r-cityscenes-tm-structure-kit-plastic-metropolitan-building-6-x-8-x-17-3-4-quot-15-x-20-x-44-3cm

Does the US have an equivalent to a Goods Shed?

Is it possible to have 2 rail served industries on one siding spur?

I think an Inglenook style layout is probably way forward. 

Thank you for all you help. Guess it's time to play around with Anyrail again.

This looks very tempting too:

https://www.walthers.com/products/trains/locomotives-traction/diesel/emd-mp15-w-dcc-santa-fe-1212-silver

and hopefully find room for one of these:

https://www.walthers.com/spectrum-r-cityscenes-tm-structure-kit-plastic-metropolitan-building-6-x-8-x-17-3-4-quot-15-x-20-x-44-3cm

Does the US have an equivalent to a Goods Shed?

Is it possible to have 2 rail served industries on one siding spur?

I think an Inglenook style layout is probably way forward.

You get rail served warehouses, where the track actually goes into the building.

Yes you can have two industries on one spur, I have done that on my inglenook.

Simon beat me to it there!

Edited by Robatron86

No.

If someone ran a class 91 electric engine, pulling unfitted mineral wagons followed by GWR clerestory coaches, you would be - at best - bemused. Preferring to see it hauling a rake of Mk 4 coaches, tailed (or led!) by the appropriate DVT does not make you a rivet counter.

I am with those who recommend finding out a bit about your prototype, if only to avoid the "cupboard of unwanted (not just unbuilt) kits and models". There are enough models available for most possible layout themes over the past 70 or so years.

Phew. I feel a bit better now thank you.

Oh god....does this mean I have become the one thing I despise the most? A rivet counter???

Such a phrase might have been appropriate 30 years ago, but you have to acknowledge that in this day and age, "Rivet Counters" have dragged manufacturers up to a recognized standard, instead of them just making RTR toys.

It's also possible to mix interests, my Yakima stuff is approached on an absolute "river counter" level, but my Freemo modelling is more about playing trains and having fun.

Woolaston Blue, as a long-time Darksider it is good to find that someone else has heard the siren call, so welcome. a couple of words of advice

1. there are no new trackplans - only variations of others

2. There is a prototype for everything

3. Don't believe everything you are told about "you can't do that" - we learn by experimenting

4. Look at Carls small layout scrapbook (currently down with a server error - but a lot can be found through here http://archive.carendt.com/microplans/index.html - there are more small trackplans in there than you will EVER believe.

Hope those help - if you need advice - ASK!

PS

5. Points take up space - consider using sector plates or traversers

6. Any layout will be longer than you expect because locos and cars are longer than you think

7. NEVER, EVER believe that a "scribbly" (hand-drawn, back of the envelope track-plan) will fit into the space available - I've yet to find one that did! - they are only good for ideas!

Edited by shortliner
  • Like 1