LSWR / SR Coach identification

mabel

• RMweb Gold

I have found the attached image after days of trawling Google images. Can anyone shed any light on the livery of the 1st carriage, (maunsell ?), and what type of carriage is the 2nd and last vehicle in the picture? The picture is dated 1939 at Wokingham.

Please note that the pic is copyrighted to the John Neve collection, and despite trying, I can't find a site where I can ask permission to use it. Apologies in advance

Thanks

Tony

post-21477-0-88602500-1479836831_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for your help chaps. As I said, Wokingham was how the photo was captioned. So, did SR provide motive power for through trains from other regions?

• RMweb Gold

DN&SR?

Think most of those trains ran to the Terminus station....not sure there were many which ran through Central and points west from the Newbury line.

But of course could be wrong there.

I thought the DN&S used Southampton Terminus, and GWR engines.

A through train to Bournemouth, arriving from the GWR at Basingstoke, and changing engines there?

I think in another thread we (Stationmaster) established that the through headcode, carried by SR locos to and from Oxford, was the same as 'standard' express passenger headcode outside of the SR (one disc/lamp directly above each buffer), but if the loco was changed at Basingstoke???

Or, a train routed off the DN&S actually running to Bournemouth, having changed engines at Eastleigh?

Kevin

• RMweb Gold

I did briefly wonder if it could have been an MSWJR service between Soton Terminus and Cheltenham via Andover, but, again, wrong headcode.

Hopefully someone with a definitive answer will pop along, I'm intrigued now.

Archived