National Collection in Miniature Dean Goods Class No 2516

LocomotionatShildon

Guest spet0114

Having read that post, the final sentence reads "which the locomotive in Steam was preserved to try to represent when it was withdrawn and restored"

So in essence the loco is as preserved, but attempting to replicate the period 28-34.

Sorry, I think you're wrong. If you read the rest of post 91, it's clear that while the real loco may be an inaccurate rendition of the 28-34 period, the intention behind the model is for an accurate one. Thus, the model cannot accurately represent the current state of the loco. Combine this with statements such as....

“Just to be clear we are not trying to model 2516 in the condition it is currently in at Steam....”

Then the matter is resolved, IMO.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I apologise and respectfully withdraw from further comment on the subject.

Would that everyone should  use such common sense.The matter has been thoroughly and frankly discussed by Andy and Brian Greenwood as has been succinctly pointed out in post 201 above.Yet we still are beset by those who want their pound of flesh with axes to grind at the ready weighing in with exhortations to avoid a purchase of this model.

I do not need such "advice" and deplore the temerity of anyone who seeks to give it. Please allow Locomotion and Oxford Rail to get on with the job.I am disenchanted with a constant diatribe of negativity ...however those who perpetrate it seek to "justify" it or dress it in authoritative tone

Edited by Ian Hargrave
  • Like 4

Would that everyone should  use such common sense.The matter has been thoroughly and frankly discussed by Andy and Brian Greenwood as has been succinctly pointed out in post 201 above.Yet we still are beset by those who want their pound of flesh with axes to grind at the ready weighing in with exhortations to avoid a purchase of this model.

I do not need such "advice" and deplore the temerity of anyone who seeks to give it. Please allow Locomotion and Oxford Rail to get on with the job.I am disenchanted with a constant diatribe of negativity ...however those who perpetrate it seek to "justify" it or dress it in authoritative tone

Well said. The 'authoritative tone' of fake and minor modeller is all around the hobby particularly when they find they have an audience...

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 2

I think I can and they’re not.

Edit: which doesn’t mean that I’m not tempted.

Same, a slight disappointment but I can take a few errors.  Pre-ordered and I don't think I will regret it!

It would be great if they could use this tooling in future, just shows what they are capable of with some more careful research.

Edited by GWR8700

I do not need such "advice" and deplore the temerity of anyone who seeks to give it. Please allow Locomotion and Oxford Rail to get on with the job.I am disenchanted with a constant diatribe of negativity ...however those who perpetrate it seek to "justify" it or dress it in authoritative ton

Thank you Ian, You have said precisely what many of us have been thinking and in a manner far more elegant than I could have.

Cheers to  you. :drink_mini:

Edited by The Blue Streak

Just back from Shildon Show.

No Locomotion Dean Goods on view. (I understand the chaiman has it!)

Missed opportunity to display and promote updated model in front of large audience/potential purchasers.

Mike Wiltshire

• RMweb Gold

I don't think the problem will ever stop until those who create it are allowed to remain on the forum, no disrespect to anyone but there is a lack of moderation on here. :nono:

Just back from Shildon Show.

No Locomotion Dean Goods on view. (I understand the chaiman has it!)

Missed opportunity to display and promote updated model in front of large audience/potential purchasers.

Mike Wiltshire

What, are there really all that many people who actually model the Great Western so far north of GWR-land?

• RMweb Premium

Are there really all that many people who actually model oop north oop north....?   :onthequiet:

I thought they spent all their time wrapped up in a warm coat with a hot toddy!

How far is North?

The GWR got to the Mersey and (just) North of the Manchester Ship Canal with the Birkenhead Joint Line.

For us down south (in the Midlands) that's oop North! :jester:

Keith

What, are there really all that many people who actually model the Great Western so far north of GWR-land?

The North East section of the Great Western Study Group is very active. When I moved to Aberdeen for a couple of years, I thought I would be in a minority....I was wrong with several GWR modellers in the area. With 16XX Panniers working in Scotland, I should have appreciated the Gospel according to Swindon would spread right to the top of Britain.

Mike Wiltshire

Edited by Coach bogie
  • Like 2

Shildon is only 83 miles, as the crow flies, from what was probably the most northerly point reached by GWR trains and engines (i.e. Manchester Excha,nge)

Ah, but had the Great Western built a line to Shildon, it would probably have had a route mileage double that what the crow would have flown!

I wonder how many modellers there are of the North Eastern Railway in Swindon and surrounding area? If there were to be a forthcoming Oxford/Locomotion model of an NER goods 0-6-0 displayed at a Swindon exhibition, how many potential customers might there be at the show wanting to see it before ordering, compared with having (or not) the Dean Goods at Shildon?

• RMweb Gold

Shildon is only 83 miles, as the crow flies, from what was probably the most northerly point reached by GWR trains and engines (i.e. Manchester Exchange)

Caw ! That's some crow...flying into Raven territory too..

Edited by Ian Hargrave
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Ah, but had the Great Western built a line to Shildon, it would probably have had a route mileage double that what the crow would have flown!

I wonder how many modellers there are of the North Eastern Railway in Swindon and surrounding area? If there were to be a forthcoming Oxford/Locomotion model of an NER goods 0-6-0 displayed at a Swindon exhibition, how many potential customers might there be at the show wanting to see it before ordering, compared with having (or not) the Dean Goods at Shildon?

You don't need to be a modeller of the NER (excellent concern that it was of course) in order to run engines of NER origin well within GWR territory (provided your layout is set during WWII years when some ex NER engines were on loan to the GWR).

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

You don't need to be a modeller of the NER (excellent concern that it was of course) in order to run engines of NER origin well within GWR territory (provided your layout is set during WWII years when some ex NER engines were on loan to the GWR).

Its a shame there isn't more of a link between the Western and NER thanks to their innovations and excellence in design, standardisation and precision in engineering that left other areas behind. Of course that changes with Staniers arrival in the Midlands... in terms of locomotives at least anyway.

Still, as some guys for this Dean Goods have been told anyway - you still need a Q6 as banker...

• RMweb Premium

Its a shame there isn't more of a link between the Western and NER thanks to their innovations and excellence in design, standardisation and precision in engineering that left other areas behind. Of course that changes with Staniers arrival in the Midlands... in terms of locomotives at least anyway.

You could say that Swindon exported it's way of doing things to the LMS!

Keith

You could say that Swindon exported it's way of doing things to the LMS!

Keith

Outwardly it must seem that way, but in fact they didn't. William Stanier and his new team ran into all sorts of problems when attempting to transfer GWR practices to the LMS.  After the amount of super-heating and draughting etc had been sorted to suit poor coal, Stanier apparently contacted Collett and told him he should be aware of problems the GWR is storing up for itself by relying on Welsh coal. Collett thanked him and carried on as before! 

It took Hawksworth to grab the mettle when wartime conditions forced poor coal on all the railways including the GWR.  The GWR were building LMS 8F's during the world conflict and Hawksworth adopted this boiler virtually as-is for his County 4-6-0 knowing the superheating and draughting would suit poor coal and save him experimenting. The Improved 'Hall' was another bye product of the work Stanier's office had put in during the 1930's.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Still, as some guys for this Dean Goods have been told anyway - you still need a Q6 as banker...

I'm a sort of living link between the two as one of my great grandfathers worked for the GWR and another (among a number of other slightly more distant relatives) worked for the NER, both were drawing their pensions not too many years after the Grouping although the GWR one didn't have a long retirement. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I understood that Great Western locomotives only got really sorted out when R.A. Smeddle, a North Eastern man by training and career, moved to Swindon in the early 50s.

• RMweb Gold

I understood that Great Western locomotives only got really sorted out when R.A. Smeddle, a North Eastern man by training and career, moved to Swindon in the early 50s.

I think you're confusing that with K.J. Cook, the Swindon man, who moved to Doncaster and sorted out the Gresley middle big end (among other things), 

• Like 6

Things barely needed 'sorting out' on the GWR when it continued to pay a dividend to its shareholders throughout its existence, unlike the LNER. I can't remember which ex CME read a paper to an organisation in which he and his contemporaries considered Gresley had designed his 3-cylinder layout into small-wheeled freight locos that didn't warrant it.

The LNER never recovered from strikes in the North East circa 1927, plus its loco designer had an antipathy towards standardization that barely helped running costs. When other railways were metal-sheeting their coaches and adopting simple liveries, the LNER continued building 'wooden walls' with an expensive external finish. As enthusiastic hobbyists, we love what we like, but as a realist, I personally think the LNER needed much stronger leadership before the war like the LMS did in the beginning and the SR did at the end.  

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 2