Looking good.  I'm impressed that you can get all that amount of trackwork on such small boards in 7mm scale.  Makes me think how it might work in 4mm and how small the boards could be.

Given your location, will you be attending DEFine in January?

• RMweb Gold

Looking good. I'm impressed that you can get all that amount of trackwork on such small boards in 7mm scale. Makes me think how it might work in 4mm and how small the boards could be.

Given your location, will you be attending DEFine in January?

Thanks 5050. Will admit that I've never heard of DEFine before - could you enlighten me please? Edited by NeilHB

• RMweb Premium

Details here Neil - just a few miles up the road but it's 4mm finescale modern image - none of which apply to Burnside

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/106648-define-exhibition-announcement/

This is where you should be the week after their gathering - how about having all your research and plans on a table for others to see and comment?

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/116620-mickleover-derby-7mm-narrow-gauge-21st-january-2017/

• Like 1

Details here Neil - just a few miles up the road but it's 4mm finescale modern image - none of which apply to Burnside

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/106648-define-exhibition-announcement/

This is where you should be the week after their gathering - how about having all your research and plans on a table for others to see and comment?

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/116620-mickleover-derby-7mm-narrow-gauge-21st-january-2017/

It's still model railways. :locomotive:   I go to O gauge events even though I'm a confirmed P4'er - and not really 'modern image'.

Although I do have several green diesels.  Does this still comply as 'modern image'? :unsure:

• Like 2

Neil,

this is very interesting.

I am looking forward for further developement of the plans and the realisation of them afterwards.

You mentioned a narrow gauge predecessor:

For those of you who aren't aware of the Tramway, here's a brief history:

The Cropper’s paper business is now concentrated at Burneside, but when all three mills were in use the transport problem was solved by the construction of a narrow gauge tramway linking the sites in 1879. The tramway was replaced in 1927 (though other sites give the date as 1924) by a standard gauge line,

Are there any informations/pictures available ?

I find that all very interesting but I am more into narrow gauge...

Best wishes

Dirk

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Mike, yes I'll bring along my research and the plans, I may even see how far I get with mocking up some of the buildings for Cowan Head over the Christmas break - given how long it's taken me to paint the turntables for Henmore I can't promise anything though!

Neil,

this is very interesting.

I am looking forward for further developement of the plans and the realisation of them afterwards.

You mentioned a narrow gauge predecessor:

Are there any informations/pictures available ?

I find that all very interesting but I am more into narrow gauge...

Best wishes

Dirk

Thanks Dirk, greatly appreciated. Below I've attached a couple of photos that I've found of the line in its narrow gauge, horse drawn days:

post-1365-0-52990100-1482267649_thumb.jpg

What appears to be the loading/exchange dock in Burneside goods yard.

post-1365-0-51494100-1482267673.jpg

The mill complex at Burneside in narrow gauge days.

I hope that these photos are useful to you. It appears that it was only ever horse worked in its narrow gauge state.

Have to say this topic is getting me very interested. Yesterday I had to take my Dad up to Keswick, so we made a detour through Burneside and Bowston to try and see where the track used to go.

Thanks Colin, it's a lovely drive through Burneside and Bowston isn't it? Did you manage to find the route of the Tramway?

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Hello Neil,

thank you very much for the two pictures and the informations.

I had hoped that there would have been (steam) locos in service.

Do you have informations about the gauge ?

It looks quite broad for narrow gauge...

Best wishes

Dirk

Hi Dirk,

From various books I have read it appears that the gauge was 3'.

I think that given the flammable nature of the paper, they didn't even think about using steam locos - at various times during its working life one or other of the mills has burned down.

I am surprised that they didn't convert to loco power after WWI, considering the number of surplus Simplex locos etc.

Cheers,

Neil

• Like 1

Neil,

looking at the first picture I would have thought that the gauge was somehow near standard gauge, especially compared to the tallness of the people around.

But in those days people have been shorter...

Steam locos and paper (mill) may be risky, but I had the system at Sittingbourne with its numerous spark arrestor fitted steam locos in mind.

I am looking forward for further developement.

Cheers

Dirk

Edited by hespertalbahn
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Neil,

looking at the first picture I would have thought that the gauge was somehow near standard gauge, especially compared to the tallness of the people around.

But in those days people have been shorter...

Steam locos and paper (mill) may be risky, but I had the system at Sittingbourne with its numerous spart arrestors fitted steam locos in mind.

I am looking forward for further developement.

Cheers

Dirk

True yes it does look nearer standard - I have seen a reference to the gauge being 3'6", but as I'd only seen it once assumed that was an error.

I had forgotten about Sittingbourne, so no reason why a freelanced version of Burneside couldn't work using narrow gauge steam locos!

Cheers,

Neil

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

It's amazing what you find when trawling through Facebook groups...a photo of when Rachel ran off the end of the slurry siding in 1954...

post-1365-0-32874500-1484172217_thumb.jpg

Some interesting details here of what I am assuming to be the wagons for tipping the slurry, and one of the internal user wagons too judging by the dumb buffers.

• Like 10

I thought these may be of use if you want to have a go at modelling the Simplex.

The photo is an official Motor Rail Ltd. picture, taken in the works yard at Bedford, of a 40/50HP petrol loco. The drawing is from a 1932 Motor Rail Ltd. catalogue.

MR-1.jpg

MR-2.jpg

Edited by Ruston
  • Like 4

• 11 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

There hasn’t been any progress at all on Burneside since my last post, and there probably isn’t going to be much progress going forward, however I do at last have one half of the motivepower for the layout thanks to Shapeways:

post-1365-0-66678100-1515089861_thumb.jpeg

post-1365-0-21949400-1515089905_thumb.jpeg

https://www.shapeways.com/product/SWP8T9CQ6/o-43-sg-simplex-loco-1?optionId=64450240

It’s rather nice!

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Not sure yet Marc - I’ve seen a couple of micro geared motors on Amazon, and wondered about coupling one of them with some Delrin chain and gears to drive both axles maybe?

If that doesn’t work then digital (I.e. finger power) will have to do!

Re "how to power it", a good while ago I built two of the 7mm scale baby Rustons. One was a small motor & gearbox on each axle, while the other was a larger motor on one axle with Delrin chain to the second axle, as I recall both worked well. Highlevel gearboxes are your friend!

On the S4 society website I'm sure there's a section with loads of information on small coreless motors hung on axles with belt drive to gear them down. If that works in 4mm/S4 then it should be a doddle in 7mm scale!

Good luck John.