'LINEAS CUBANAS' - Cuban Lines

Lineas Cubanas

Currently, I am looking at some backscene and track options.......

I am thinking of using Peco Code 83 (North American) as opposed to my usual Peco Code 75 "Finescale"

But I have not actually seen any in the flesh......How does the rail look? Does it look good?

I've used code 83 on my Cuban Mill layout, I perceived that it looked too neat for 1950s Hershey so cut random webs underneath to make the spacing irregular and painted the ties in a variety of tones, and that is about as far as it has got. I've yet to ballast it but we do have an advantage that the track can be very overgrown.

Peco are introducing HO code 70 for US Shortline modellers with proper switch blades (instead of pressed ones) and their Unifrog, and I'm waiting to see if the geometry will be the same as their code 83 or whether there will be tighter switches.

I've used code 83 on my Cuban Mill layout, I perceived that it looked too neat for 1950s Hershey so cut random webs underneath to make the spacing irregular and painted the ties in a variety of tones, and that is about as far as it has got. I've yet to ballast it but we do have an advantage that the track can be very overgrown.

Peco are introducing HO code 70 for US Shortline modellers with proper switch blades (instead of pressed ones) and their Unifrog, and I'm waiting to see if the geometry will be the same as their code 83 or whether there will be tighter switches.

Yes, my preference is the Code 70 but I understand that they are only producing #6 turnouts (with the same geometry as the Code 83 line) and wooden sleeper flex track. I have a feeling I am going to need a bit more flexibility with #5 turnouts and curved turnouts plus I need concrete sleeper flex track

To be honest, I believe the smaller the code the better and Code 75 is a minimum standard for me. For some reason my sub conscious associates Code 83 looking as thick as Code 100 which I am sure it doesn't........

I need to get my hands on some to have a look at it!

Edited by Lineas Cubanas

Without wishing to unduly hijack your thread, these are a quick couple of images from my phones storage before and after painting (and showing the Rapido uncoupling magnets). The crossover is code 75 and will be disguised as it clearly shows the wider ties, and is joined directly to the code 83 as the step in rail top height is minimal.

post-6819-0-53583000-1548011681_thumb.jpg

post-6819-0-57112400-1548011473_thumb.jpg

Other options? I've used Shinohara code 70 before but it isn't as easy to work with, and others have used code 70/75 in 83 sleeper base as a contrast in sidings as code 83 rail can correctly look heavy, but not as chunky as code 100.

I guess you've also got the option of code 83 concrete sleepered track, although as brought I've not seen anything that matches the exact tie shape and spacing as used in Cuba.

• Like 1

Without wishing to unduly hijack your thread, these are a quick couple of images from my phones storage before and after painting (and showing the Rapido uncoupling magnets). The crossover is code 75 and will be disguised as it clearly shows the wider ties, and is joined directly to the code 83 as the step in rail top height is minimal.

attachicon.gifIMAG2241.jpg

attachicon.gifIMAG2331.jpg

Other options? I've used Shinohara code 70 before but it isn't as easy to work with, and others have used code 70/75 in 83 sleeper base as a contrast in sidings as code 83 rail can correctly look heavy, but not as chunky as code 100.

I guess you've also got the option of code 83 concrete sleepered track, although as brought I've not seen anything that matches the exact tie shape and spacing as used in Cuba.

No worries, I appreciate the input

I think you are right.....83 can correctly look heavy but not as chunky as 100

The track looks good...what size are the turnouts?

The track looks good...what size are the turnouts?

#5, although the lower left one is curved slightly and cut back at the heel? end to suit the plan.

Peco 83/75/Shinohara code 70, not really showing the rail heights though. Friends who build layouts quickly seem to do so by buying the track and laying it, then moving into the next step without over analysing that they've done something wrong. My current US traction layouts uses Shinohara code 70 and Fast tracks turnouts, which is all completely lost on the audience who see the Peco code 75 in the fiddle yard and assume the scenic bit is the same.

post-6819-0-44401100-1548087253_thumb.jpg

post-6819-0-28728500-1548087384_thumb.jpg

Edited by 298

I have only just found this thread, and have read right through. You are clearly an extremely talented modeller.

We went to Cuba four times, once in the late 1980's (very difficult and expensive), twice in the 1990's and once more in the mid 2000's, but the only line we ever managed to travel was the Hershey, from Matansas to Havana, with a few hours stop off at Hershey ( now Cienfuegos) itself. Several attempts to try using the main lines all resulted in disaster, and long walks to get a bus instead. I was nearly arrested at Havana Central in 1996 for trying to take photos of the rail approaches - there is (was?) an entrance open to all at the station throat, superb for photos. Fortunately, they accepted my explanation of being a British railway employee who was interested in their network, and not an American spy (although of course I was).

So your thread has really hit the spot. But some of the nostalgia expressed on here is a little misplaced. By the late 1990's, taxi drivers could easily obtain modern cars from the likes of FIAT, Toyota, Daewoo and others, and after a few hair-raising trips in 1950's Cadillacs etc, we opted to look out for cars that actually had working brakes and windscreen wipers. Even the "Donkeys", the trailers of lorries converted into buses, were less fraught! The horse drawn "buses" of Santiago and Trinidad were even safer...

On Code 83, I have bought a large amount of this (Peco) but for a British layout, primarily for the much more prototypical turnout geometry. It can be Anglicised enough, with a scalpel and weathering, so as not to be too jarring. If you need the smaller radii to fit your allotted space, then you may prefer to await something suitable in Code 70, or use the Peco Code 75 Bullhead (apart form where you seem to want concrete sleepers). But I would go with Code 83 all day long, simply because the transition of locos and bogie stock through the points does not look like something out of a trainset. But I know space often precludes this, so no criticism from me. Your scenic skills are what will make your layout stand out from the crowd anyway.

• Like 1

Currently, I am looking at some backscene and track options.......

I am thinking of using Peco Code 83 (North American) as opposed to my usual Peco Code 75 "Finescale"

But I have not actually seen any in the flesh......How does the rail look? Does it look good?

Opinions on track and backscene choice welcome!

attachicon.gifIMG_7211 copy 2.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_7211 copy 4.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_7211 copy.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_7211 other.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_7211 copy 3.JPG

I like the third from the top back scene. I like the cloudy sky, and the almost black and white look of the scene. The Cuban flag sets the location plainly. Regards, Tom Holley

First of all, thanks for everybody's feedback, replies and emails

It's probably easier if I post some answers all together here:

1) The shelf layout is portable and is made of 3 sections. The layout size is  approx 105" by 45" in a L shape. The benchwork is 18" wide but with the additional of the styrofoam base it may be 20 - 22" in some places. In order to work on a section if necessary at a more reasonable height, they can be lifted off onto the chest of drawers below to work on (see photo 3 in post #99)

2) I painted the woodwork grey which is the same colour as the wall and the general tone of the room to improve the atheistic look within the room. If no work gets done on the layout for a while at least it should just look like a grey shelf rather than the desert plains of the Sahara....well that's the idea anyway

3) Regarding the track plan, I have a few ideas but its not finalised yet. I don't "re invent the wheel" so I will be using or adapting a tried and tested one that approximately fits my space......

Here's the plan of my office:

post-30675-0-12998600-1548236013.png

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

A bit of an update, I suppose

I have removed the "L" Shape baseboard so the layout is now just along one wall. The size of the layout is now 8ft 9" by 18" so calling it a "room size shelf layout" is definitely misleading.....more like a "Cameo" layout now

The L shape was just too intrusive in the room and also I didn't think it was worth the effort. Especially as I wanted to curve the fascia and it was offering me up all sort of problems so I have decided less is more

The good news I have been working on a track plan. I am going to have to move away from modelling Havana as its just not going to work in the space I now have. This is not a problem really as there are plenty of great prototypes in Cuba.

I have also cut and glued down the Styrofoam base and added 9mm ply boards to each end of the layout

Edited by Lineas Cubanas
  • Like 2

I have been playing around a little bit and mocking up the layout to check a few things out. As a result, I have realised the following:

1) That the light in the layout room is very poor and the layout needs lighting ASAP. I bought some LED Strips so the next priority is to implement a dust cover/roof for the layout which can be used to attach the lights to.

Suggestions welcome.....

2) The backscene is proving quite problematic.

As I have moved away from modelling Havana, suitable panoramic photos are few and far between. Simply because tourists in Cuba take photos mainly of the Havana skyline or if its countryside, the Vinales Valley, neither of which are suitable as one is too urban and the other too rural featuring mountains.

Nobody seems to take a photo of the ordinary....... and indeed if they do in a big enough size....

IMG_7426.JPG

IMG_7428.JPG

Edited by Lineas Cubanas
  • Like 2

Just spent an enjoyable half hour reading through this thread. Wonderful modelling and an absolutely fascinating prototype. I am fascinated by Cuba, albeit more from a social history point of view rather than specifically the railways. However I would love to learn more. 

Cannot wait to see how your projects develop, definitely one to follow with interest. 

Thanks for sharing! :good_mini:

David

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Ok, have a made a bit of progress........

Its been hampered slightly with my initial plan for the Lighting Pelmet and Proscenium Arch proving in reality unworkable so I had to re think. But I think we are there now.

Obviously, need to sort the backscene join ........

IMG_7581.JPG

IMG_7584.JPG

IMG_7585.JPG

Edited by Lineas Cubanas
  • Like 8
  • Agree 1

The backscene looks amazing. What is the thinking for the lighting and pelmet ..? I was thinking of big blue skies and tall Cumulous clouds but am still unconvinced that LED strips would be bright enough, but to me you've solved that with the style of backscene that doesn't require enough light for a full sunny day.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

That is a fantastic backscene....what lighting did you use for the pictures?

The problem I had with an initial effort with an arch was that I had the lighting halfway across the boards so the top of the models were illuminated but not the sides.  My more recent arch had under-cabinet kitchen strip lights mounted on the back of the arch.  Unfortunately this then causes shadows on the backscene....

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

19 hours ago, 298 said:

The backscene looks amazing. What is the thinking for the lighting and pelmet ..? I was thinking of big blue skies and tall Cumulous clouds but am still unconvinced that LED strips would be bright enough, but to me you've solved that with the style of backscene that doesn't require enough light for a full sunny day.

18 hours ago, Jeff Smith said:

That is a fantastic backscene....what lighting did you use for the pictures?

The problem I had with an initial effort with an arch was that I had the lighting halfway across the boards so the top of the models were illuminated but not the sides.  My more recent arch had under-cabinet kitchen strip lights mounted on the back of the arch.  Unfortunately this then causes shadows on the backscene....

Hi

Thanks for the compliments

You are correct the Lighting are two LED Strips that I bought off Amazon.

I have the ability to change the intensity of them and therefore maybe set the layout at night etc 

Below are some photos of my structure mock up for the left hand side of the layout. Interesting the first two photos are at 100% intensity and the second two at 10% intensity.......

Kind of look the same to me???!!! Although the fascia looks darker with brighter light......mmmm

100%

IMG_7594.JPG

IMG_7595.JPG

10%

IMG_7596.JPG

IMG_7597.JPG

Edited by Lineas Cubanas
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Some beautiful modelling; captures the essence of the place beautifully. We went there in the early 2000s,  in the days of parallel currencies. Didn't see many trains, barring a 'sugar-cane' railway from the bus between Havana and Trinidad, and some rolling stock at a station in Havana (I think it was recently-arrived French 'Inox' stock.)

Edited by Fat Controller
  • Like 2

It's always hard to tell from photographs as today's cameras (smartphone) do an awful lot of processing on an image, although you can add to this yourself. 

I've just finished a layout set at night/in the rain (Blue Heron in the US/Can section) and the former was hard to portray accurately without a black backscene, even then the theatrical trick of using blue LEDs looked more convincing than the yellow/orange hue that you'd expect from the prototype and the whole effect was lost anyway due to the ambient light.

But I hope you'd consider the second effect, I can picture your layout just after a tropical rain shower and making the relevant parts look wet- I used MIG wet effects brushed on in layers for greater effect and Deluxe Aqua Magic for deeper bodies of water as appropriate, although you could probably get away with the first product or even gloss varnish.

• Like 1

On 21/06/2019 at 13:54, 298 said:

It's always hard to tell from photographs as today's cameras (smartphone) do an awful lot of processing on an image, although you can add to this yourself. 

I've just finished a layout set at night/in the rain (Blue Heron in the US/Can section) and the former was hard to portray accurately without a black backscene, even then the theatrical trick of using blue LEDs looked more convincing than the yellow/orange hue that you'd expect from the prototype and the whole effect was lost anyway due to the ambient light.

But I hope you'd consider the second effect, I can picture your layout just after a tropical rain shower and making the relevant parts look wet- I used MIG wet effects brushed on in layers for greater effect and Deluxe Aqua Magic for deeper bodies of water as appropriate, although you could probably get away with the first product or even gloss varnish.

Thanks for the feedback.

Indeed, I have already considered setting the layout in the late evening. The provisional title for the layout is "La Noche de la Iguana" after the film and the Saul Bass inspired poster:

1759276631_Screenshot2019-05-22at14_21_55.png.4e6a1b693da4b8f87caf30a815e01039.png

I don't mean it in a pretentious way, its just a way to help me develop some atmosphere/inspiration etc 

Hopefully combining a sense of time with a sense of place : the layout being set close to nightfall and Cuba being well known for Iguanas especially the Cuban Rock Iguana.

Edited by Lineas Cubanas
  • Like 1

This is taken from my layout "To Do" List and now that I have completed the following, it is time for:

Back Scene - Done

- Dimensions Required (140" x 17") - Done
- Find Suitable Photo - Done
- Order Test - Done
- Order Back Scene -  Done
- Fit Back Scene - Done

Lights & Fascia

- Paint All Boards Eggshell - Done
- Add Wings (135 mm Width) - Done
- Add Fascia (135 mm Width) - Done
- Add Lights - Done
- Add Lighting Pelmet - Done
- Add Proscenium Arch (189 mm Width) with Lights - Done

Track Plan - Done

- 1st Review - Done 
- 2nd Review - Done
- Order all Structures - Done
- Test fit on Layout - Done
- Final Review - 

I have attached a copy of the track plan below, I am not an operator or track plan designer, I would welcome any feedback positive or negative especially if you can spot any potential problems or suggested improvements etc. 

105375149_Screenshot2019-06-04at15_50_50.png.e1cf6bab3964ae70cc4d99376df939e0.png

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I don’t think you could get anything else in the space without tight curves and coming off the front. It’s a lovely scene as it is, and if you exhibit it adding a yard to at least one end would be the only way to increase the operation. 

If you wanted more space to run trains the only way I can see would be to put in a point to curve off towards the door. It could be a bolt on so normally stored out of the way if you just want to shunt. Making the curve a board and then just a single staging track or a cassette?

I don’t think it needs it, just an option if you want room to run off the scene at home :) 

39E9E977-DA45-4F16-8AE6-14CBDF999F60.jpeg.a2e0511039a4a284f0997bae76a81805.jpeg 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Hi Paul

Thanks for the input. 

I did consider early on about using this space along the bottom wall but I decided it wasn't worth the payoff. Structurally the board was too invasive in the room so I removed it (See previous posts)

But you are right I could add a discreet staging track. Will see how I get on when the track is laid and operation can commence which is the next stage

Thanks

Matt

"La Noche de La Iguana" is loosely based on the town of Cardenas in Matanzas Province, Cuba

Cárdenas is a maritime port town on the level and somewhat marshy shore of a spacious bay of the northern coast of the island (Bay of Cárdenas), sheltered by a long promontory (Hicacos peninsula, including the Varadero beach resort).

The city lies between the sea and hills.

There are mostly narrow streets full of horse drawn carriages, various squares (including the Plaza de Colón, with a bronze statue of Columbus given to the city by Queen Isabella II. and erected in 1862) and substantial and elegant business and public buildings, including the ornate parish church designed by Architect Rafael Carrerá, who also built the famous Palacio Aldama in Central Havana.

Its is also known as "La Ciudad del Cangrejos" (City of the Crabs)

Here is map of the town which I based my tack plan on:

155a1d88e77.jpeg

View of Industrial District: Left hand side of layout labelled Almacen 1 (Warehouse) and my on layout Staging Track

panoramio-66459237.jpg

View of station and yard from the other end:

DSC_2572.jpg.941fad5ae06f2d2c71ff777b3afecc39.jpg

Edited by Lineas Cubanas
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Lineas Cubanas said:

I did consider early on about using this space along the bottom wall but I decided it wasn't worth the payoff. Structurally the board was too invasive in the room so I removed it (See previous posts)

But you are right I could add a discreet staging track. Will see how I get on when the track is laid and operation can commence which is the next stage

Yes I was thinking of it as a minimal arrangement that could just go up when actually running ;)  It just depends what you want to do running wise, using the street bit as staging works fine if you like the shunting and the buildings act as a view block. You could even model the curve as a really rickety out of use track and just add the staging plank later if you feel it would help?

• Like 1