What's New from Legomanbiffo !

charliepetty

• 2 weeks later...

Purchased Bachmann Deltic Pinza with everything fitted yesterday at Ally Pally.

WOW absolutely fantastic. Incredible sound that actually makes other things on the board rattle!! Thank you, one VERY HAPPY custuomer

Probably the best Deltic in 4mm EVER!    Charlie.

Did you see our Twin Decoder & Twin Earth mover fitted 'Supersonic' Deltic!   The stand moved 12mm over the weekend and Ian's undies needs pulling up!!!

• RMweb Premium

Hi guys, sorry if there is a topic about this already.

I've got a couple of your 37 V4s fitted with 20x40mm in your low profile enclosure all sealed up and fitted under the fans in Bachy models. I'm really happy with the sound as it is, but the talk of these earth mover speakers has got me interested!

Forgive my arrogance but what's the benefit over the 20x40 in the enclosure? And would it still be likely to fit in the manufacturer's speaker location (with a little trimming if neccessary) I'm a little loathed to do away with ballast weights and install in the tanks as I want my models to pull full rakes of 20+ wagons, and I find the install under the fans a nice easy route to still good quality sound.

I also understand that I'd have to have an EM1 and a 20x40 in series due to resistance? Is there no way around this? I'm worried I'd be limited on room for 2 speakers if they have to be mounted up top.

As a side note, I'd just like to say that I have 3 of your 37s now, and a 47 (allbeit not the new offering) awaiting install, and the quality of the recordings, and the added 'fun' factor that these sounds give to me personally, is absolutely amazing, so genuinely, thankyou!

A 20X40 Sealed correctly is fine, but an EM2 gives you 50% more Bass, but some work is involved it fitting them in.  Not a easy job for beginners.

The EM1 is only 0.5Watt so you need a minimum of 1 Watt ideally on the volumes we need to set, thus another decoder.

Charlie

I've got a couple of your 37 V4s fitted with 20x40mm in your low profile enclosure all sealed up and fitted under the fans in Bachy models. I'm really happy with the sound as it is, but the talk of these earth mover speakers has got me interested!

Forgive my arrogance but what's the benefit over the 20x40 in the enclosure? And would it still be likely to fit in the manufacturer's speaker location (with a little trimming if neccessary) I'm a little loathed to do away with ballast weights and install in the tanks as I want my models to pull full rakes of 20+ wagons, and I find the install under the fans a nice easy route to still good quality sound.

I also understand that I'd have to have an EM1 and a 20x40 in series due to resistance? Is there no way around this? I'm worried I'd be limited on room for 2 speakers if they have to be mounted up top.

As a side note, I'd just like to say that I have 3 of your 37s now, and a 47 (allbeit not the new offering) awaiting install, and the quality of the recordings, and the added 'fun' factor that these sounds give to me personally, is absolutely amazing, so genuinely, thankyou!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

If you get the chance to hear an EM2 in a 37 you'll almost think it's a real 37 that's been shrunk! My original bass reflex speak in the tanks sounded much better that a 20x40 in the factory location but the EM2 takes it to another level!

As Charlie says, the EM2 won't just drop in - see Steve's or my post in the Earthmover fitting thread.

Edited by scoobyra
  • Like 1

Just to let you know that my sound project for the Class 14 'Teddy Bear' is available now. It was recorded from D9659 on a private session at the Spa Valley Railway with a train behind it (the same day we did the 25 actually). As always the guys there did a great job for us. If you're adept at metalwork and brain surgery and have the patience of two saints you can fit two sugar cubes in the Heljan model and it sounds great! Lovely raspy engine this one, and sounds just like a 20 when it spools down.

Bif

• Like 4

Just to let you know that my sound project for the Class 14 'Teddy Bear' is available now. It was recorded from D9659 on a private session at the Spa Valley Railway with a train behind it (the same day we did the 25 actually). As always the guys there did a great job for us. If you're adept at metalwork and brain surgery and have the patience of two saints you can fit two sugar cubes in the Heljan model and it sounds great! Lovely raspy engine this one, and sounds just like a 20 when it spools down.

Bif

Should be on the Website this week.

Charlie/Ian/Steve,

Some time ago you were investigating the installation of EM2 in a HST but I’m not sure if there was a conclusion about the results.

Foolishly, I’ve just bought Hornby’s latest (my era is late 60’s to early 70’s – pre TOPS) so it seems fitting that I should fit the best possible decoder and speaker arrangement.

What was the results of your trials and can you recommend EM2 for HST?

I plan to fit 2 decoder and speaker in each power car. Do you have any advice on installation?

Bob

Bob,

The results were an unqualified success with all three versions of the HST (Paxman Valenta, Paxman VP185 and MTU). The MTU doesn't have the wow factor of the other two but that's just an accurate reflection of the prototype really.

They are fairly straightforward to fit, going in the guard's compartment area in both cases. In the dummy car you have to remove the plastic chip holder (two minutes with a razor saw), and in the power car you have to remove an approximately 5mm square piece from the metal cast 'shoulders' either side of the motor.. i did this with a junior hacksaw in 10 minutes. Then you have to glue down anything and everything in the body that can rattle, because it will with all that sound energy in a small space. You'll also need a load of extra weight because believe it or not the cars will rattle on their own wheels if you don't, especially the dummy car! I used lead flashing for that, easily cut with an old pair of scissors.

I also put black insulation tape over all the rear windows which hides the speaker but doesn't alter the appearance from the outside.

Hope this helps,

Bif

Bif

Excellent news Bif have been looking forward to this,mine will be going in a DJH O gauge one.

Rob

I realise that this is not "new from legomanbifo" but can you clarify a couple of things regarding the HST matched pair please.

- does the "matched pair" take care of things like directional lighting and the horn only sounding from the lead vehicle?

- is the decoder pair I need for the original livery HST (Paxman Valenta) described as Paxman on the website?

Thanks,

Bob

I realise that this is not "new from legomanbifo" but can you clarify a couple of things regarding the HST matched pair please.

- does the "matched pair" take care of things like directional lighting and the horn only sounding from the lead vehicle?

- is the decoder pair I need for the original livery HST (Paxman Valenta) described as Paxman on the website?

Thanks,

Bob

Hi Bob. The Matched Pair features:

Start Up/Shut Down:  One power car starts before the other and likewise on shut down.

Horn's: Work on the leading car only

Guards Whistle: Works at the rear of the train only.

Lights:  Always Whites on the lead car, and reds on the rear.

Thanks Charlie

Thanks,

Bob

OOP's I forgot:  

Paxman: is the Velenta as per the original engines.

MTU: Is on all current ones except East Midlands Trains.

Paxman VP185:  Is for EMT only.

Hope this helps Charlie

As well as the ones Charlie listed;

Guard to driver beeper, driver's door slam and detonator sounds always come from the lead vehicle.

Various other sounds come from both ends at once (brake applications, mk3 coach wail, mk3 coach door slams, flange squeal etc).

Hi.charlie

My last couple of sound chips from you had a pleasant surprise........the directional lights faded gradually, when changing direction. A very nice touch.

Is it possible for me to add this feature using a CV change, or is a reblow necessary ?

cheers

Hi.charlie

My last couple of sound chips from you had a pleasant surprise........the directional lights faded gradually, when changing direction. A very nice touch. Is it possible for me to add this feature using a CV change, or is a reblow necessary ?

cheers

This is a feature I've rolled out across the range over the last six months or so, to all locos and units that had the old-fashioned tungsten light bulbs. The LED style lights on modern locos come on instantly so these haven't been altered. It is possible to add this feature yourself. I'll make a note of the required CV changes and post here shortly.

Bif

• Like 1

This is a feature I've rolled out across the range over the last six months or so, to all locos and units that had the old-fashioned tungsten light bulbs. The LED style lights on modern locos come on instantly so these haven't been altered. It is possible to add this feature yourself. I'll make a note of the required CV changes and post here shortly.

Bif

Biff has been working all week on the brilliant Realtrack Models Class 156 Sound project, the sample will be at York Show featuring:

Day & Night Time running.

Directional Cab Lights with AutoFade

LED fitted Route Blind.

Parking Red Lights at both end

Working Door Lights

Twin Sound Fitted Carriages (Decoder & Speakers in both cars)

This makes the SLW Class 24 look boring, its the most advanced model we have seen.

• Like 1

Hang onto your hats, two brand new Class 37 sound sets will be available to purchase and listen to at York, based on my recordings of 37674 at the Wensleydale Railway as featured here:

There will be one suitable for 37/0's and a refurbished one suitable for 37/4, 37/5, 37/6 or 37/7.

Unlike the previous 37's I've recorded, this one has a really nice rolling idle. As before there are four different ways of pulling away, from gentle to full thrash. However, there is a thrash-tastic twist in the tail this time! If you open the throttle wide from stationary the loco tries to do a full thrash take off but slips repeatedly and spools down each time. Eventually it finds its feet and continues at full thrash. Whilst the engine is spooling down each time the speed does not increase, so you see a surging effect just like the real thing. You can stop the slipping at any time by backing off the throttle just slightly from maximum (if you only wanted it to slip once for example). You can still pull away on full thrash without slipping at all by opening the throttle to around 90% rather than all the way. Many of the auxiliary sounds are completely new (horns, sanders and exhausters etc). And if that's not enough to entice you I have also implemented the ESU manual brake function on F5 so you can brake using a button should you wish.

Also available will be my sounds for the Heljan Class 14 Teddy Bear and as Charlie stated above, a demonstration of the new Realtrack 156 with a host of great sound and light features.

Looking forward to catching up with you all again at York.

Bif

Edited by legomanbiffo
  • Like 2

Hang onto your hats, two brand new Class 37 sound sets will be available to purchase and listen to at York, based on my recordings of 37674 at the Wensleydale Railway as featured here:

There will be one suitable for 37/0's and a refurbished one suitable for 37/4, 37/5, 37/6 or 37/7.

Unlike the previous 37's I've recorded, this one has a really nice rolling idle. As before there are four different ways of pulling away, from gentle to full thrash. However, there is a thrash-tastic twist in the tail this time! If you open the throttle wide from stationary the loco tries to do a full thrash take off but slips repeatedly and spools down each time. Eventually it finds its feet and continues at full thrash. Whilst the engine is spooling down each time the speed does not increase, so you see a surging effect just like the real thing. You can stop the slipping at any time by backing off the throttle just slightly from maximum (if you only wanted it to slip once for example). You can still pull away on full thrash without slipping at all by opening the throttle to around 90% rather than all the way. Many of the auxiliary sounds are completely new (horns, sanders and exhausters etc). And if that's not enough to entice you I have also implemented the ESU manual brake function on F5 so you can brake using a button should you wish.

Also available will be my sounds for the Heljan Class 14 Teddy Bear and as Charlie stated above, a demonstration of the new Realtrack 156 with a host of great sound and light features.

Looking forward to catching up with you all again at York.

Bif

The eagle has landed !

Been waiting for this for a while .

I'm sure it was worth the wait  Bif !