Bachmann Rep Limited Editions

WILLIAM

4 hours ago, amwells said:

Variety of view is great! I wish they’d done 37116 in Transrail blue as Sister Dora!

I made one of them. It’s a LTD edition, and it has ( my factory ) weathering ( bit of poop). It’s a bodge ( spot all the errors from the real one ) but I like it .

60DD7F6B-6A5D-4BF6-AD7D-524B0AFD7E87.jpeg

Edited by rob D2
  • Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

5 hours ago, rob D2 said:

Yeah, I think we get the profit bit, model manufacturers will never be charity.

And you can’t really compare a Bachmann 37 with a Lima one. Compare apples with apples.

For instance , my weathered 37174/242 cost £106 4 years ago, weathered standard 37s are going for £145 ish at present ( KMRC 37422 ). That’s a 36% rise.My wages haven’t risen anywhere near that much, hope yours have.

And it’s exactly our * lack * of choice that drives this. There is no other half decent 37 in production .

If Bachmann think it’s really worth this much, I’d like to see them not reduce the RRP when , say, accurascale produce a modern tooled 37 for £150 a throw.

Your wages might not have risen by 36%. But the wages of the people making them has....

"Bring production back to the UK". Then you would be doubling the price.

Jason

• Agree 5

We are in take it or leave it marketplace. Small batches that sell out will never encourage a manufacturer to cut his sale price.

With regard to the oft quoted ‘up to date super spec 37’ which is ‘imminent’ then whichever manufacturer does one will have at least 12months work before it is on sale. Competition drives prices down so who can blame BMann for making hay while the sun shines. I doubt their 37s will ever get below 3 figures given the Horny-lima abomination is getting close at RRP.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

The “new 37” rumour is at least 18 months old at this stage.

But it’s failed to break the test of being just a rumour.

That means since the rumour first circulated classes 11,12,25,45,47,55, 66, 86 & 92 have since been announced...

looking at that list, I don’t see why a 37 should be such a secret.

given how many Bachmann 37’s have been turned out, I don’t see space for another 37 either.

Edited by adb968008
  • Agree 2

11 hours ago, adb968008 said:

The “new 37” rumour is at least 18 months old at this stage.

But it’s failed to break the test of being just a rumour.

That means since the rumour first circulated classes 11,12,25,45,47,55, 66, 86 & 92 have since been announced...

looking at that list, I don’t see why a 37 should be such a secret.

given how many Bachmann 37’s have been turned out, I don’t see space for another 37 either.

I do. By that logic there as no space for another 66 ....or deltic......why would it be more than £150 ? If hattons can do a full spec 66 for that, I’m sure someon can do a 37.

my personal price pinch - I could take up to about £170 I guess.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

I do. By that logic there as no space for another 66 ....or deltic......why would it be more than £150 ? If hattons can do a full spec 66 for that, I’m sure someon can do a 37.

my personal price pinch - I could take up to about £170 I guess.

Were lucky that smaller independents have been able to lower price due to cutting out “middle men” (the distributors in the UK)... less people less cost. As Bachmanns made oodles, they could kill the threat or at least delay a decision, but theres otherwise not much to lose in secrecy at this stage.

The 37 rumour is just that, rumour, so you can only guess... but you can make educated guesses, look at who is likely to announce it, look at what they have already announced, and when, and what is still to be delivered, and consider factors like.. how much they have on their plate, size of their operation and past pricing...  you can rule out a few really quickly, so unless its a magic new entrant, or the return of ViTrains, it soon becomes a very small list.

Though if you know the group who provided the 37 to scan, the list drops to 1...thing is.. it was a very long time ago, and theres a lot of 37’s out there that could also be scanned since, and a lot of things politically have occurred that make taking a huge risk on currency, economy and market demand that could change or delay decisions or impact estimated sales quantity to make a return. 

Hence a future 37 may not be cheaper depending on whom makes it, but equally could remain nothing more than a rumour.

Edited by adb968008
  • Agree 1

Another thing to consider is the sheer amount of detail differences on 37's, would a small outfit be able to produce a new loco at keen price with all the different tool slides?

Some people on here seem to think Bachmann are overpricing there models but Hornby's prices are similar the class 31 and 56 are £170 and the class 60 is £180. None of these have had any changes since introduction and still have 8 pin sockets, no dc light switches or cab lights. The 37 has at least had the above upgraded by Bachmann since introduced.

I am not defending the price just pointing out that they are priced similarly by both the big manufacturers 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

On 06/09/2019 at 09:22, adb968008 said:

Even if it was more expensive than the current rrp of a Bachmann one ?

say £199 or maybe £220 dcc ready ?

Yes!  I realize that every modeller will have different priorities, and some will perceive to 'need' Class 37s more than others, which is fair enough.  However, look at it this way... like most modellers I cannot afford to purchase everything that I would like all at once, so if I am spending £169 on a new locomotive today, or in the very near future, then I'm not going to purchase a Bachmann 37 when for example Accurascale are coming forth with full detail, high-spec models (Class 55, 92) for £160; Hattons with their 66 at a similar price, so too Cavalex in a similar bracket of £179 with their Class 91, while Dapol Class 68s (another superbly finished model) seem to be obtainable for around £130 (if my memory from my last purchase serves correct).  Not to mention fabulous DMUs from Realtrack etc etc.  The point being, there are already more than enough fantastic models on the current market for me to max out my credit card and beyond, without even considering spending equal sums on, what to my eye, are fairly dated models.  Okay, I have the mindset that I would very much like a good handful of Class 37s, but I'm in no hurry, and if I have to wait a year, two or even five years, then I'm fine with that, as I have plenty of other things to be getting on with in the meantime.  Of course, if my layout plans depended on having Class 37s then I may well feel otherwise.

Another way of answering your question perhaps, is that let's suppose I budget myself £1,000 to spend on Class 37s, which in your scenario would potentially either bag me a fleet of five locomotives of this hypothetical all-singing, all-dancing, super-spec Class 37 that many are insinuating toward , or on the other hand I could equally bag six Bachmann 37s (just one more), from a dated tooling with quite a few inaccuracies.  Personally, I'm not the kind of person to settle for a lesser model for the sake of thirty-quid.  So in my case it's a no-brainer...  but hey, each to his own...  :)

I would also add that I am in no way bashing Bachmann, or any other manufacturer for that matter for their respective pricing policies.  If a Bachmann 37 needs to be priced at the current level within the market then so be it, I accept that totally and absolutely.  And likewise, I am in no way obliged to buy it.  Simple.  Still, if other modellers are willing to spend £170 on what is arguably a very old model then more power to Bachmann - it makes savvy business sense on their part.  Personally, as a customer on a set budget and with more models of interest to me on the current market than I can shake the proverbial stick at, then my money is going to go one-hundred percent to those producing the best spec models at any given time, especially when those new models are apparently priced on a somewhat similar level to many of the older ranges. 

[Disclaimer:  Just my opinion of course as I am certain that others will vary.]   :)

Edited by YesTor
  • Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

^^^^^^^

Thats pretty much my view , Yestor. I need 37s and 47s, but to me the Bachmann versions are £100-130, and if I can’t get them in that bracket at present I’ll hold fire and see what’s coming. 

The only exception to this this was the Dutch 47 , as I really wanted a Dutch one . Thus £179 with sound ( sound broke , So that made it rather expensive !)

I have scoured ebay to get bodies to re - era chassis as required a fair bit as I’m loathe to commit as above .

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, rob D2 said:

^^^^^^^

despite my price reservations , that’s a useful 37/0 in triple grey .

i think the only other one without split boxes was 37239 years ago 

I think your right Rob, mine went into DRS livery a long time ago. This one is ideal for my early 90’s era to add to one of the metals workings so glad I pre ordered one.

cheers

Mark

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BR Blue said:

I think if a new 37 does not break cover at Warley this year then it is not going to.

So if there's no announcement of a new 37 by Christmas then that's it... finito, fini, final?  Forever? I highly doubt that somehow.   :rolleyes:

14 hours ago, rob D2 said:

^^^^^^^

despite my price reservations , that’s a useful 37/0 in triple grey .

i think the only other one without split boxes was 37239 years ago 

37239 had a very minor difference in that had a headlight that this one doesn't

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, YesTor said:

So if there's no announcement of a new 37 by Christmas then that's it... finito, fini, final?  Forever? I highly doubt that somehow.   :rolleyes:

Never say never.

The announcement was alledgly cancelled at the 11th hour last year.  If it has not progressed sufficiently in the meantime then in my opinion a decision has been made for financial reasons not to proceed at the present time. Of course it could also be that the project is been kept underwraps until it is well underway. I hope it is the latter.

It is definitely not a rumour. Work was done. Whether it stopped I do not know but after a year of silence, again in my opinion, if it does not get announced at Warley, then something has changed.

• RMweb Gold
42 minutes ago, BR Blue said:

Never say never.

The announcement was alledgly cancelled at the 11th hour last year.  If it has not progressed sufficiently in the meantime then in my opinion a decision has been made for financial reasons not to proceed at the present time. Of course it could also be that the project is been kept underwraps until it is well underway. I hope it is the latter.

It is definitely not a rumour. Work was done. Whether it stopped I do not know but after a year of silence, again in my opinion, if it does not get announced at Warley, then something has changed.

Sorry to drag off thread but announcement by who? Updated Bachmann or someone else?

Mark

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, Markwj said:

Sorry to drag off thread but announcement by who? Updated Bachmann or someone else?

Mark

You are right Mark, it is off topic and is not related to Bachmann. It is about rumours that another manufacturer is to produce a high spec class 37.

To get back on topic I should add I have about 20 Bachmann 37s and intend to get some more even if and when a rival 37 emerges.

• RMweb Gold
On 07/09/2019 at 18:54, rob D2 said:

^^^^^^^

Thats pretty much my view , Yestor. I need 37s and 47s, but to me the Bachmann versions are £100-130, and if I can’t get them in that bracket at present I’ll hold fire and see what’s coming. 

the assumption still seems to be “who” makes a new 37, will do so at a familiar price point. If it were made by a premium price comissioner not known for their discounting, and producing only to order..

If challenged, i’d expect Bachmann & Hornby to respond to that challenge as they did with the 66’s...

Maybe that could just change the game, just enough to tip a commercial decision in a different direction ?

For example... theres three rtr 10000’s on the market, one of them is 4x higher priced than the other two... would you “hold and wait” on Bachmann and Dapols for the ultimate 10000 by F1A ?

(The f1a 10000 was announced at the same time as Dapol/Bachmanns versions and despite being Brass and superior, it never repeated, did F1A make any other UK OO outline since?).. did price matter to enough people to impact commercial decisions on UK Brass rtr ?

The Dapol super A4 hasnt been repeated, nor has there been further models in this range, some are still for sale at £400 each... so to your benchmark, clearly people didn't abandon their Bachmann and Hornby A4’s at any price here either.

So there is a price point, trick is setting it just right, which maybe a tad bit higher than were used to, especially if supply is commercially limited... it all depends on whom is making it.

Edited by adb968008
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/09/2019 at 22:38, adb968008 said:

the assumption still seems to be “who” makes a new 37, will do so at a familiar price point. If it were made by a premium price comissioner not known for their discounting, and producing only to order..

If challenged, i’d expect Bachmann & Hornby to respond to that challenge as they did with the 66’s...

Maybe that could just change the game, just enough to tip a commercial decision in a different direction ?

For example... theres three rtr 10000’s on the market, one of them is 4x higher priced than the other two... would you “hold and wait” on Bachmann and Dapols for the ultimate 10000 by F1A ?

(The f1a 10000 was announced at the same time as Dapol/Bachmanns versions and despite being Brass and superior, it never repeated, did F1A make any other UK OO outline since?).. did price matter to enough people to impact commercial decisions on UK Brass rtr ?

The Dapol super A4 hasnt been repeated, nor has there been further models in this range, some are still for sale at £400 each... so to your benchmark, clearly people didn't abandon their Bachmann and Hornby A4’s at any price here either.

So there is a price point, trick is setting it just right, which maybe a tad bit higher than were used to, especially if supply is commercially limited... it all depends on whom is making it.

I seem to recall a review on the Dapol A4's saying they were nice, and had good features, but it didn't have the finesse of Hornby's.  At the end of the day, for £400, it needed to be "bang on" perfection.  

Regards,

C.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 06/05/2019 at 22:03, Iron Horse said:

The little plastic blocks inside the cast chassis at the open end (you can see the bogie touching them). I guess they are too wide I attacked them with a scalpel and all is fine now (I only tapered them at the open end), whether I have caused problems elsewhere remains to be seen but so far 37142 is as happy as Larry now on my 2nd radius curve.

I didn't take any pics as I just assumed I'd got one with thicker plastic and plus I'm never usually in any position to help anyone :D:D

On 07/05/2019 at 07:52, Roy Langridge said:

Strikes me that if you have had to go to that trouble, Bachmann have a bit of an issue here. If the tooling has been modified or has worn to the point that the bogies will not turn to support R2 curves (and I guess medium radius points?), there are going to be many unhappy people.

Roy 

Hi guys,

Coming back to this discussion from earlier in the year on the latest 37s which have a limited turning capability (i.e. 37055 and more) - here’s a picture of the cause just to help anyone else who’d been wondering what it was!

2ABED1A1-21AD-4F6B-AB66-E9D91BA96A70.jpeg.7a796f9a1a22ba8b71b4ea053dff6a1e.jpeg

As per Iron Horse’s suggestion it’s these blocks which need fiddling with (circled in yellow on my pic) - they aren’t present on the older 37s (chassis on left) so I’ve just taken a knife and popped them off completely, it was only lightly glued and so just pinged off fortunately! 

All runs good now, and ready for the detail fun to begin! :good:

Cheers,

James

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 2