Oxford N7

On 12/01/2019 at 12:27, EHertsGER said:

Try Bill Bedford/Mousa Models - he supplied a beautiful kit for the Hertford Quads. He also does a variety of quads/quints to order.

All

And so I have come to building the Hertford Quad from Bill (I ordered a Quint some time ago but alas the USPS gremlins seem to have eaten it). You really should buy one - its etches are beautiful!

Anyway in consideration of the Quad and the next Quint (for there will be one), can someone point me to a reliable source for the under-gubbins of each. Photos only go so far and drawings, not at all, so I am a little lost as to what is under which one in each set. Does the Isinglass set show the under floor arrangements? How about that article quoted aforehand?

Battery boxes and bogies I can spot, but deep in the shadows lie...vacuum cylinders, dynamos, reservoirs, gas cylinders - or not. 

Your guidance much appreciated, with thanks. 

Best,

Marcus

On ‎21‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 21:47, Classsix T said:

...That N2 is a beast!

They certainly were in service. 'Kicking off' on the hotel curve platform was a thing to experience. The train on a  six/seven chain curve and a gradient usually estimated at 1 in 39. So basically a standing start on the Lickey with 220T of two heavily loaded quadarts behind.

BR had terrible trouble replacing this beast with diesel traction, and could only do it by a significant reduction in train weight and capacity and a much larger loco. That of course was the Brush 2 (TOPS 30) and it broke them after a few years, requiring the engine change that produced TOPS 31.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

They certainly were in service. 'Kicking off' on the hotel curve platform was a thing to experience. The train on a  six/seven chain curve and a gradient usually estimated at 1 in 39. So basically a standing start on the Lickey with 220T of two heavily loaded quadarts behind.

BR had terrible trouble replacing this beast with diesel traction, and could only do it by a significant reduction in train weight and capacity and a much larger loco. That of course was the Brush 2 (TOPS 30) and it broke them after a few years, requiring the engine change that produced TOPS 31.

It must have been hard, so hard it required all the class to be re-engined even those which never went near the GN. :D

I think somebody had fun with dieselisation on the GN with suburban DMU, with doubtful reliability; Class 23, with doubtful reliabity and Class 30/31 which ended up with OK relaibility but were not known for performance, with various nicknames, Brian, Snails etc. Whereas on the GE we went from the faster accelerating N7 to sliding door units, which accelerated OK and were even better when switched to 25KV AC.

• Like 1

Does anyone know when the rest of the first batch will arrive? The GE version has been available for a few week now and the big "H"  suggest by the end of of March for the LNER one. That's today!

C'mon you Oxford spies, where is the container full of goodies?

Tod

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On ‎21‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 07:44, adb968008 said:

Make your own mind up, they are doubleheading together here..

The N2 and N7 only have a letter of the alphabet, post 1923 operator and same 0-6-2T wheel arrangement in common.

They were designed by different builders N7 - Hill vs N2 - Gresley,  for different railway companies GNR vs GER, though ostensibly competitors on London’s suburban routes.

Am I the only one that thinks the N2 was doing most of the work?

Les

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

On 29/03/2019 at 12:13, Bomag said:

It must have been hard, so hard it required all the class to be re-engined even those which never went near the GN. :D

I think somebody had fun with dieselisation on the GN with suburban DMU, with doubtful reliability; Class 23, with doubtful reliabity and Class 30/31 which ended up with OK relaibility but were not known for performance, with various nicknames, Brian, Snails etc. Whereas on the GE we went from the faster accelerating N7 to sliding door units, which accelerated OK and were even better when switched to 25KV AC.

The class 23's had a higher reliability than most BR locomotive classes. They had issues early on with the engines and cooling systems but once they had been put through a refurbishment program they performed very well. The reason they were withdrawn was more down to the fact there were only ten of them and they were non standard as much as anything, and their acceleration was very impressive. If Hitchin loco men were told they were being given an L1 instead of a Baby Deltic they got very upset.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

On ‎29‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 12:13, Bomag said:

It must have been hard, so hard it required all the class to be re-engined even those which never went near the GN. :D...

The story locally was that the engine failures showed up first in the Finsbury Park allocation of 1365hp units, which had also been the location where the demands of the job had led to the uprating of the Mirrlees engine from the original 1200hp rating to 1365hp. These may of course be parochial stories, only completely true for a certain value of 'true'. The severe service reliability problems with the KX suburban services in the diesel transition did lead to some fairly colourful stories in circulation.

Side note: my recollection may be faulty, but the 1200hp units didn't break?

Whatever, you can imagine how pedestrian the Ped was with only 1200hp...

58 minutes ago, Baby Deltic said:

...If Hitchin loco men were told they were being given an L1 instead of a Baby Deltic they got very upset.

But what if the steam loco offered was a B1?  The L1 was a poor design which met with some very harsh criticism from operational management for its unreliability in service and maintenance demands.

I do wonder what the EE reaction was to their type 1 being found adequate for the KX outer sub turns during the warmer months when the lack of a steam heat boiler was no handicap.

• Like 2

The Hitchin crews loved the Baby Deltics. They were only worked by Hitchin men generally and were commemorated on numerous ASLEF badges for Hitchin, such as the one in my avatar. I have another with a side on view of a Baby Deltic.

Edited by Baby Deltic
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

4 hours ago, Les1952 said:

Am I the only one that thinks the N2 was doing most of the work?

Les

Somebody broke it. Whether NNR sent it to NYMR a bit sick or NYMR did it themselves is uncertain. I think it was this one which caused it to be sent to the South Devon Railway for repairs. On the SDR it was parked next to the industrial 'Lady Angela'; this pleased my mother as she had driven both.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

The L1 was a poor design which met with some very harsh criticism from operational management for its unreliability in service and maintenance demands.

From what i have heard from the drivers of the time they liked the L1 a lot. But yes it wasn't particularly successful overall.

• Like 1

The footplate perception of the L1 was definitely positive on both the GE section - comparing to the N7 - and GN where the N2 was an acknowledged old clatterbang, crude but effective. In the Southern area of the LNER, subsequently BR(ER), it was only the GC crews who had experienced the Robinson A5 as comparison who were not so impressed.

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

The story locally was that the engine failures showed up first in the Finsbury Park allocation of 1365hp units, which had also been the location where the demands of the job had led to the uprating of the Mirrlees engine from the original 1200hp rating to 1365hp. These may of course be parochial stories, only completely true for a certain value of 'true'. The severe service reliability problems with the KX suburban services in the diesel transition did lead to some fairly colourful stories in circulation.

I always understood the problem first surfaced in those that had been uprated to 1600hp and the one 2000hp example but eventually affected all the class, including the initial locos rated at 1250hp (not 1200hp). 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

I’ve had an update from Hattons on the expected arrival time of my pre-ordered BR liveried N7:

“Our latest information from the supplier suggests this item will arrive with us between April 2019 & June 2019.
Whilst we are hopeful this information is accurate, manufacturer lead times are frequently prone to be delayed. 
This information is to be used as a guide only.”

Vague but at least by June, we shall see.

//Simon 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Just checked Rails' site again and it is still saying April, as it has done for many weeks despite Hatton's having previously said February/March!

• Like 1

On 28/03/2019 at 22:27, EHertsGER said:

All

And so I have come to building the Hertford Quad from Bill (I ordered a Quint some time ago but alas the USPS gremlins seem to have eaten it). You really should buy one - its etches are beautiful!

Anyway in consideration of the Quad and the next Quint (for there will be one), can someone point me to a reliable source for the under-gubbins of each. Photos only go so far and drawings, not at all, so I am a little lost as to what is under which one in each set. Does the Isinglass set show the under floor arrangements? How about that article quoted aforehand?

Battery boxes and bogies I can spot, but deep in the shadows lie...vacuum cylinders, dynamos, reservoirs, gas cylinders - or not. 

Your guidance much appreciated, with thanks. 

Best,

Marcus

Would you mind starting a thread on here showing how the build goes ? I might well invest in one if it’s a good kit.

Thanks

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

An interesting new comment put up Oxford Rail: 

"Since the announcement of our N7 we have received a number of questions about producing this locomotive in GE Blue. The N7 never carried this livery in service and was painted in the grey from new. Would you want this as a possible future release." 

Of course as previously stated for it to be accurate, the locomotive would need to be slightly altered with a slightly different Cab & boiler due to the placement of the dome & various other items, which I cannot remember off the top of my head. 

Personally, if Oxford Rail was to do another N7 I'd like another LNER model with the round-topped boiler and red lining. 

LNER_0-6-2T_locomotive,_2615_(CJ_Allen,_Steel_Highway,_1928).jpg

• Like 3
  • Agree 3