Waukegan Harbor and Marine

Robatron86

• 2 months later...

So the first structures for WHM are arriving in the form of dock cranes.

I have bought a Dapol Dockside Crane and a Walthers Gantry Crane.

DSC_0003.jpg

They look very similar and you could easily get away with the Dapol crane. But there is a problem. The board is to be extended width ways to depict the cargo ships and the actual harbor so the cranes need to reach over the edge of the board.

DSC_0004.jpg

Sadly the Walthers crane boom is far too short. And that kit was over double the price of the Dapol kit.

• Like 1

I don't think even the Dapol one would have much of a lifting capacity with the boom at that angle. Either the track wants to be nearer the harbour wall, or the cranes should be, just not straddling a track.

I haven't added the cables yet. It won't be at that angle once it is finished.

I do agree. The tracks should be closer to the edge. I did contemplate modifying the board to bring the track closer. I shall think about it a bit more.

Looks like you have to make a jib for it !!!!

I'm also building a Dapol crane for a dockside area, and was more concerned about the clearance underneath instead of the jib length- if it proves to look too short I might draw up a new one.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So a burst of progress this morning in the form of the dock taking shape. The angled notch I cut to allow the crane to reach over the edge has been filled in so to speak, and a mini baseboard has been built and bolted to the main board to form the bulk of the water area.

DSC_0021.jpg

• Like 2

Are you going to extend the crane rails? I have a similar aesthetic problem with a dock as you'd expect to see the crane be able to reach all of the water area. At least with yours you'd only need a couple of diamonds, I have a turnout in the way of mine.

• 1 month later...

DSC_0072.jpg

Apologies for the poor picture, but this is where I am at present.

Road and quay side laying has begun, and I have hired a tug. This is the slightly small for HO Revell kit.

I had also extended the travelling crane rails.

Was in Boston the other day & thought of your crane, here's a pic of that crane

post-24082-0-87982500-1505252935_thumb.jpg

post-24082-0-36476700-1505252972_thumb.jpg

post-24082-0-19953100-1505252997_thumb.jpg

• Like 3