Deliberately Old-Fashioned 0 Scale - Chapter 1

Nearholmer

15 hours ago, Lacathedrale said:

I got the motor disconnected and this is what the gear train looks like - all the gears are in perfect nick so unless there's some other factor I think it may just be down to adjustment:

TP2mqYG.png

All of this grease was very sticky - but then, I'm expecting it to be like swarfega - not like honey!

I think I may have found the culprit - it appears there's one gear which has some lateral movement in it, so It would appear that it can oscillate from side to side and come into contact with the gearbox maybe causing that sound? Maybe the source of that spring clip I pulled out earlier on?

DogxZK1.pngdegvGve.png

The overall distance is only about About a 80 thou but I can find no brass filings, chipped teeth, bits of metal, etc. elsewhere so I'm not sure what else the noise could be? I've started to remove some of the grease build-up with a brush, but I gather that if I need to put a washer on this gear that I'll have to fully disassemble the gearbox.

Cheers!

I’m not happy about the stray circlip. Contrary to popular opinion, there are NO extraneous pieces in mechanisms of this sort; that clip looks to me, as though its intended function was/is to locate one if the shafts longitudinally and maintain the appropriate clearance. 

That said, the “big washer” might not make much difference to the operation. I’d guess that it is a spacer between the body and one of the mounting points. 

• Agree 1

Three surgeons having a beer after work.  One of them is not happy, his mates ask why.  “Well I’ve got to operate on the senior surgeon tomorrow, and I’m sure it will be ok, but you know what it’s like, he’ll be all - ‘you should have done’ , and ‘those stitches should be neater’  and, ‘if it had been m, I’d have...’, oh, I’m not looking forward to it, I hate operating on medics”

and his mates commiserate, one of them says “lawyers, I hate doing lawyers, you’re always worried that they’ll sue”

and the third says “I like doing engineers - they’re very understanding if you have a few bits left over”

• Funny 9

6 hours ago, rockershovel said:

I’m not happy about the stray circlip. Contrary to popular opinion, there are NO extraneous pieces in mechanisms of this sort; that clip looks to me, as though its intended function was/is to locate one if the shafts longitudinally and maintain the appropriate clearance. 

That said, the “big washer” might not make much difference to the operation. I’d guess that it is a spacer between the body and one of the mounting points. 

I'm not happy also, I'm even more unhappy that my tweezers slipped and dropped it into the 'cup' underneath the gear mechanism. It would appear the only solution is to fully disassemble the mechanism to get it out and fit it on the stub axle (if that's where it fits).

I think you're right about it being used to locate something longitudinally - I think it's that final gear which has 3/32" movement. If the lubration and oiling doesn't fix it - I'll be confident that's exactly what it is. I think however, I'm going to to getting it lubed up and back together. If it's still noisy/etc. then I guess it might just be a worth a drive down to the Ace approved servicer to get it done properly - for the sake of £20!

Cheers,

Edited by Lacathedrale

For £20, I wouldn’t spend any more time over it, but take it straight to the approved servicer. At the very least you get an informed diagnosis for the price and if you DO end up returning it, you can deal with it on that basis - much better than “it didn’t sound right, I took it apart and now I want a refund” ....

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, rockershovel said:

For £20, I wouldn’t spend any more time over it, but take it straight to the approved servicer. At the very least you get an informed diagnosis for the price and if you DO end up returning it, you can deal with it on that basis - much better than “it didn’t sound right, I took it apart and now I want a refund” ....

I would add to that everytime it runs making that grinding noise there could be agravated wear on some part.

Don

• Like 1

The lamps are going out all over Europe.....*

CF185E17-E4D4-4222-B481-9F49F1D0EC42.jpeg.f7bd8dda35170b81d483df9534a1d6a1.jpeg

Well, I probably paid too much for these, and the searchlight needs a new bulb, but I wanted something genuinely of the time, and they are.

DA02145E-5752-4CC6-A2A1-D0898478606A.jpeg.bf94da3a684bde7164c21b98841e5509.jpeg

Loads of detail here   http://www.binnsroad.co.uk/railways/astra/index.html    and here https://www.brightontoymuseum.co.uk/index/Category:Astra_Pharos_Ltd

*Yes, I know it was actually said about WW1, but .....

• Like 11

Don’t panic Mister FU - I switched them back on again.

Does anyone know of a source of 40-42mm tall soldier figures? S&D do a few, but I can’t find any more. What I’m after are squaddies in WW2 tunic and trousers, either forage caps or berets, not in fighting poses, ideally loafing about.

Closest you are likely to find, I think, is 1/48 scale, which are slightly smaller than 7mm scale (1/43.5) but offers more choice than the very limited range of militaty modelling figures in 1/43.

However, Tamiya 1/48 scale figures are said to be 36-37mm tall, which I suspect leaves them coming up short. 

ta32526.jpg.91b35ca417105d62dcfd38945eb3b535.jpg

Panzers v. Tanks do some 3D printed 1/45 scale military figures (and they may, of course, agree to adjust the scale), but have no British solidiers in the range, though plenty of RN.

• Informative/Useful 1

Thanks.

Oddly enough, I have a 1/48 stash, unused, ‘soft vehicles’ and figures, from when I planned a very tiny NG underground storage bunker diorama, based on a load of old stone mines in Surrey that were used to hide various things during WW2.

The chaps are very small compared with even the smallest Hornby 0 scale figures - they’d look like a group of 11 year old cadets in an 0 scene.

• Informative/Useful 1

25 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

Closest you are likely to find, I think, is 1/48 scale, which are slightly smaller than 7mm scale (1/43.5) but offers more choice than the very limited range of militaty modelling figures in 1/43.

However, Tamiya 1/48 scale figures are said to be 36-37mm tall, which I suspect leaves them coming up short. 

ta32526.jpg.91b35ca417105d62dcfd38945eb3b535.jpg

Panzers v. Tanks do some 3D printed 1/45 scale military figures (and they may, of course, agree to adjust the scale), but have no British solidiers in the range, though plenty of RN.

Weren't railguns traditionally manned by naval crews anyway? I'm sure I've read that the large south coast guns were manned by naval troops who were the ones best equipped to man the ex-warship cannons

• Informative/Useful 1

There is another thread on here (in 7mm+ modelling), called "Corps of Canadian Railway Troops – Europe 1918".

The originator of that thread has been painting a lot of WW1 soldiers, that he refers to as "PLM figures". You might want to ask where those come from. My efforts to find them on Google have been unsuccessful.

I'd be interested too. I have a few (very few) of the S&D ones, but as you say, there aren't many.

Gordon

Edited by GRASinBothell
spelling

GRAS

PLM are on of those small firms that trade only at GOG events, and by mail order, but you can only get their list at events.

if i ferret about, I might have the list, but I don’t hold out much hope, because I think it was tucked in an event guide that I sent to recycling - doh!

K

• Friendly/supportive 1

Not that PLM.

The one we want is an electronics free zone, so undiscoverable via the web so far as I know.

Whether the contact details on this packaging are still relevant, I have no idea.

DDF1BFDA-582C-475B-B7A8-E1C7804E1978.jpeg

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 1

Here is the address for PLM. 

12 New Street, Merryhill, Wolverhampton, Wv3 7NW    Tele 01902 570810 / 07804 651121

I also use figures from S&D, ModelU, buffalo Creek and Wrightlines on the Corps of Canadian RR troops Layout. 

I have not orderred from this site yet but they do carry Military Figures 42mm should be 6 feet. http://www.irregularminiatures.co.uk/indexes/42mmindex.htm

Let me know if you need more info. 

Larry

Edited by BigLars
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Northroader said:

It was on the SR standard gauge branch to Romney, not the RHDR.

https://ryesown.co.uk/german-bomber/

Another article by a linguistic primitive who calls engine drivers 'train drivers'.  I would have liked to see the author of the article calling my grandad a 'train driver'.