Deliberately Old-Fashioned 0 Scale - Chapter 1

Nearholmer

Nasty to see videos!

I will never forget the trauma of my childhood pride and joy, a brand new Airfix Caerphilly Castle running off the curve on my new attic layout and plunging to the floor. 

Scarred for life!

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Gold

I think we've all done it.

And unlike lightning it can strike more than once.

Edited by ian
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, sncf231e said:

I did not know that, so I used an expensive brass model:

Regards

Fred

Terrifying!  If I did that the first comment I’d get would be “What on earth were you trying to do?!”  I guess the end of the video explains the objective.  Good to hear no serious damage was done.  Off to lie down in a darkened room to recover!! Keith.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 3 weeks later...

Low numbers again at NAROGG but interesting stock; we did have our first radio-controlled loco, a  pre-War Basset Lowke Flying Scotsman and the dual-purpose 20v AC / 12v DC track was also used as a clockwork running track at one stage

I must have a serious sort-out of my 027 track...

Next meeting Tue June 13th 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Nearholmer said:

I thought it was about time for an update on progress, particularly since some progress is actually taking place.

Deadline 10th June, when this load of plywood is scheduled to appear at Milton Keynes club exhibition.

At the moment I have an increasing number of jigsaw puzzle pieces that aren’t yet fixed together or (as you will readily spot) painted.

This station is probably ‘Paltry Town’, and the other is probably ‘Paltry Junction’. ‘Junction’ has an island platform, cut down from the former ‘Birlstone’ one, and is unlikely to get a station building before the big day.

13827F8B-024A-443A-85CD-4E60F2965A1E.jpeg

EA701929-7BC9-436A-954E-EFFBCE177C24.jpeg

380CE184-CD27-4D79-95B1-C535F90BEFDE.jpeg

Very interesting, when do you want to have a test run session?

You realise you havent left clearance for running the overhead electric fed locos - I will also be interested to check whether the GWR railcar can get round without side-swipping the walls and platform?

See you soon.

Chis H

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

The platform is scheduled to be cut back at that portal, because it is foul for some of my 4-4-0 locos. I may even need to cut back the lower part of the wall of the covered-way, rendering it structurally unsound, but fitting the stairs in while leaving a regulation width platform on the other side has proven a tad challenging.  The HMRI might find this station not completely to their taste!

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold

very neatly done. I know it is a bit late now but may I suggest that cutting out some corrugated carboard to the shapes and checking for any fouling might save any hacking of good work. Have good show.

Don

• Like 1

The error wasn’t failing to check clearances, I did the old CJF thing with a pencil against the middle of the longest vehicle on the inside, and the nose of the most “nose pokey” loco on the outside, then added a bit.

No, the error was picking the wrong loco for the second part of that. I was 100% certain from experience with the previous layout that my Stanier 2-6-4T running bunker first was most “nose pokey”, and I also checked the GWR locos with huge outside cylinders. But, I didn’t check the BL Compound, and it turns out that my 100% certainty was 100% wrong: if pushed to the furthest extent, using up all available play, which it probably never reaches in reality, the Compound has a longer nose than the 2-6-4T.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

Commit to an exhibition so far in the future that there is absolutely no question that you will be ready in time, the mojo will appear in lorry-loads when panic sets in a month before the deadline.

I’ve seen real railways finished by the same psychology!

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 6
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

15 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

I thought it was about time for an update on progress, particularly since some progress is actually taking place.

Deadline 10th June, when this load of plywood is scheduled to appear at Milton Keynes club exhibition.

At the moment I have an increasing number of jigsaw puzzle pieces that aren’t yet fixed together or (as you will readily spot) painted.

This station is probably ‘Paltry Town’, and the other is probably ‘Paltry Junction’. ‘Junction’ has an island platform, cut down from the former ‘Birlstone’ one, and is unlikely to get a station building before the big day.

13827F8B-024A-443A-85CD-4E60F2965A1E.jpeg

EA701929-7BC9-436A-954E-EFFBCE177C24.jpeg

380CE184-CD27-4D79-95B1-C535F90BEFDE.jpeg

This is magnificent work. I am not sure I understand how it all fits together, but it is both splendid and splendidly appropriate for coarse scale. Very clever.

And I cannot be the only one hungry for more photographs? 

• Like 4
  • Agree 5
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

Commit to an exhibition so far in the future that there is absolutely no question that you will be ready in time, the mojo will appear in lorry-loads when panic sets in a month before the deadline.

I’ve seen real railways finished by the same psychology!

I can see why that technique works, but, I prefer to watch others squirm under their promises, personally ! 😄

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Beware of those tolerances all needing to line up before there is a problem. I have a GWR dock tank. In a two day show it would stop  once or twice pick it up and put it back on the track and away it would go.   Not a problem but the motor was a little noisy  Steve who used to help operate took it away and replaced the motor with a high efficiency ABC . Next show it didn't stop but did fetch the slidbar off. When all the tolerances were in line the crankpin would catch on the edge of the slidebar. The torque with the ABC was so much greater the loco didn't stall and somthing had to give.

Don

Edited by Donw
  • Friendly/supportive 5

So, remind me again: the boundary between railway modelling and doll’s house making lies where exactly?

Its still a jigsaw puzzle, mostly not glued and pinned together yet, but I hope you can see where we’re heading.

382226BC-3D86-49CF-A4BD-F85B837BAA21.jpeg.f98a1183918459cfecb79d01d6da85f6.jpeg

There is another jigsaw puzzle underway to create a bridge and raised road for another area, and couple more, smaller puzzles at the planning (some hope) stage.

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 8

• RMweb Premium
57 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

So, remind me again: the boundary between railway modelling and doll’s house making lies where exactly?

It lies in Twyford, roughly down the middle of the shop (my local model railway supplier):

cropped-IMG_9292-scaled.jpg

[Embedded link to Berkshire Dolls House & Model Co. website]

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 3
  • Round of applause 3
  • Funny 5

• Nearholmer changed the title to Deliberately Old-Fashioned 0 Scale - Chapter 1
3 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

THREAD CLOSED

Please see “Deliberately Old-Fashioned 0-Gauge, Chapter 2” for the continuing story.

Got a link? 😉👍

Edit:- found it!! 👌 

Edited by F-UnitMad
  • Thanks 2