Show us your Pugbashes, Nellieboshes, Desmondifications, Jintysteins

Corbs

• RMweb Gold

Is my half-built Collett 31xx large prairie too big to be considered for this thread?  Details over on 'Modifying Kits & RTR', but a bit crude for the standards here; there is some inspirational stuff! 

For those who find GW locos confusing, and even some of us GW types find the large prairies to be a bit of a muddle, the Collett 31xx is the final development of the line started in 1906 by the Churchward 31xx (different class, extinct by 1938 when the Collett 31xx was introduced).  This loco was the forerunner of the 5101 and 61xx large prairies, and some of them were rebuilt into 5101 specification by Collett.  They had no.2 boilers and 5'8" driving wheels; there was no visual difference between 5101 and 61xx, the latter had higher boiler pressure.  The next development was the 81xx, which also had the 61xx's higher boiler pressure but smaller, 5'6", driving wheels. 

In the meantime, Churchward had added to the original 31xx class by producing the 3150 class, identical but for a larger no.4 boiler.  These were 'modernised' by Collett in a similar way to the no.2 boilered large prairies, with top feeds, new cabs, curved drops to the front frames, outside steam pipes, and extended bunkers.  The Collett 31xx was the final development of these no.4 boilered large prairies, a rebuilt 3150 with a higher boiler pressure combined with 5'3" driving wheels, and hence a lower running plate that allowed a higher domed cab roof.  Picture the result of a terrible accident (or an ill-advised night of drunken sex, or both) involving a re-wheeled running chassis, running plate, tanks, cab sides, and bunker from an Airfix 61xx, the boiler and drop front running plate/buffer beam from a Mainline 43xx, and a 56xx cab roof with front and rear bulkheads.

Collett apparently considered there was more to be had from the large prairies, and intended to continue new production of the 81xx and to rebuild all of the 3150s into his new 31xx design, but the war and his retirement intervened, and his successor, F.W. Hawksworth, did not pursue this line, ordering more 5101s which were built until 1950.  Only 5 Collett 31xx were built, and were all withdrawn by the end of 1960. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Is my half-built Collett 31xx large prairie too big to be considered for this thread?  Details over on 'Modifying Kits & RTR', but a bit crude for the standards here; there is some inspirational stuff! 

For those who find GW locos confusing, and even some of us GW types find the large prairies to be a bit of a muddle, the Collett 31xx is the final development of the line started in 1906 by the Churchward 31xx (different class, extinct by 1938 when the Collett 31xx was introduced).  This loco was the forerunner of the 5101 and 61xx large prairies, and some of them were rebuilt into 5101 specification by Collett.  They had no.2 boilers and 5'8" driving wheels; there was no visual difference between 5101 and 61xx, the latter had higher boiler pressure.  The next development was the 81xx, which also had the 61xx's higher boiler pressure but smaller, 5'6", driving wheels. 

In the meantime, Churchward had added to the original 31xx class by producing the 3150 class, identical but for a larger no.4 boiler.  These were 'modernised' by Collett in a similar way to the no.2 boilered large prairies, with top feeds, new cabs, curved drops to the front frames, outside steam pipes, and extended bunkers.  The Collett 31xx was the final development of these no.4 boilered large prairies, a rebuilt 3150 with a higher boiler pressure combined with 5'3" driving wheels, and hence a lower running plate that allowed a higher domed cab roof.  Picture the result of a terrible accident (or an ill-advised night of drunken sex, or both) involving a re-wheeled running chassis, running plate, tanks, cab sides, and bunker from an Airfix 61xx, the boiler and drop front running plate/buffer beam from a Mainline 43xx, and a 56xx cab roof with front and rear bulkheads.

Collett apparently considered there was more to be had from the large prairies, and intended to continue new production of the 81xx and to rebuild all of the 3150s into his new 31xx design, but the war and his retirement intervened, and his successor, F.W. Hawksworth, did not pursue this line, ordering more 5101s which were built until 1950.  Only 5 Collett 31xx were built, and were all withdrawn by the end of 1960. 

I'm no admin, but I'd say post it. Not sure size has much to do with things, more the fun of bashing and bodging than anything else. I'm bodging my way through an LMS tank engine at the moment, not sure how it will turn out.

Ben

PS, I live in Cardiff too, but the streets aren't so mean here!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, The Johnster said:

1183752920_Screenshot2021-09-29at23_59_59.png.cf78464600fb507ae67122b38c541992.png

On 29/09/2021 at 17:14, The Johnster said:

Pictures please.   Sounds good except the chassis, I have never managed to get one to run properly yet.  The Collett 3100 was an accountancy fiddle as the increased TE gave an excuse for the rebuild which resulted in a worse loco than the original for the banking work it was intended for but an excellent suburban tank loco.

• RMweb Gold
On 30/09/2021 at 00:00, Corbs said:

1183752920_Screenshot2021-09-29at23_59_59.png.cf78464600fb507ae67122b38c541992.png

IMG_1066.jpg.04781ef2445ec865714719f88a7040f8.jpg

This was the sitrep a week ago; since then the front drop frame and buffer beam reinforcing bars have been put on, the chimney replaced with a 56xx, the Milliput filling tidied up, and the whole caboodle sprayed black.  The chassis is dismantled at the moment for the wheels to be painted and the axle nut covers & balance weights to be glued on, then it'll be replacing handrails with wire and knobs and one or two other detailing jobs.  I've ordered the transfer from Railtec.

Among the detailing jobs is the lamp brackets, and photos of 3100 after withdrawal at Swindon show her to have had her top front one on the smokebox door rather than on top of the drum.  I have come across this with one of my pannier prototypes, 5797, as well, and wonder how common it was.

• Like 5

As you well know, I don't like to make things difficult for myself, so yesterday I decided to rewheel both the C class and the new Q1 

IMG20211003111940.jpg.2834a1a856e569b48a6db837eed3252c.jpg

The C now sits on 14xx wheels (upside down I know :wacko:) and could probably have slightly smaller wheels than those

IMG20211003112031.jpg.db5be617aab656eb1a822e1e4943ccc7.jpg

The new Q1 has the 4F wheels that came from the C and I shifted the rear bogie back to a more prototypical position. Next for the Q1 is the box around the top of the bunker

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

I was a bit nervous about quartering the wheels but it turned out to be no problem at all. I do, however, need a replacement small gear for the Q1. It's originally a 14xx chassis and Peter's Spares are currently out of stock. Its code X8067 if that's any help

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, Sophia NSE said:

I was a bit nervous about quartering the wheels but it turned out to be no problem at all. I do, however, need a replacement small gear for the Q1. It's originally a 14xx chassis and Peter's Spares are currently out of stock. Its code X8067 if that's any help

Try Model Trains 4U http://www.modeltrains4u.co.uk/Spares-by-Loco/Class-14XX-0-4-2T/page1.htm

they appear to have one in stock.

Lendons of Cardiff are another good source of spares, but they don't appear to have that particular one in stock at the moment.

http://www.lendonsmodelshop.co.uk/index.asp?search=Railways-20OO/HO-20Gauge&button=Hornby

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Moxy said:

Try Model Trains 4U http://www.modeltrains4u.co.uk/Spares-by-Loco/Class-14XX-0-4-2T/page1.htm

they appear to have one in stock.

Lendons of Cardiff are another good source of spares, but they don't appear to have that particular one in stock at the moment.

http://www.lendonsmodelshop.co.uk/index.asp?search=Railways-20OO/HO-20Gauge&button=Hornby

Just tried Model Trains 4U and was unable to purchase as their internet safety certificate has run out which caused an error :(

• Friendly/supportive 1

I've just realised that it's been over two months since I mentioned that my revitalised first-ever loco 'Nellie' and its 'new' Dock Shunter mate were ready for painting.........er, I'm embarrassed to admit that they're still ready for painting as I subsequently got somewhat sidetracked (it happens - a lot in my case, but I'm surely not alone in that) but still going down a 4-wheeled path, as it were. I never really saw this coming to be honest, it just sort of.......occurred!!

I know that what I've done is nowhere near the kind of inspired Frankensteinery displayed on here (proper modelling in my view, and fun to boot!) but chopping up my first loco was never on the cards, this is more a detailing exercise, just to see how they turn out. It was also driven by a desire to at least try to put a long-standing collection of parts to good use, if possible, to hopefully avoid them being binned at some point in the increasingly not-so-distant future, if you know what I mean. A pile of these came from a friend about 30 years ago when he went O gauge - thanks Mike, I've been using them on and off ever since!

Anyway, here's 'Nellie' with new lower gearing and the 15mm 15-spoke Romford wheels removed from that slimmed-down Class 06 (which now sports more appropriate 14mm 10-spoke items). I discovered Mike had glued in the crank pins so my intention to re-use Nellie's original coupling rods and screws came to nowt and I had to make up new rods from N gauge rail. Buffers and brake shoes are MTK plastic items and Nellie's side tanks have been stuffed with lead sheet in plasticard boxes. Opening up under the boiler to view the magnet probably wasn't worth the effort! New injector pipes are Peco track pins inserted from below. I did consider outside cylinders and repositioning the body securing screw (I usually solve such a problem but this one defeated me), however I had to draw a line somewhere.......:

1707950268_Nelliefront.jpg.5439500fab3750355147364c84d02ee1.jpg698947525_Nellierear.jpg.3a79116c7e2080e72c4e297e0be2fc0c.jpg

The Dock Shunter with its Class 06 radiator grille and Millholm brass wheels has had its backside shrunk by half as it now only needs to accommodate a small Bachmann coupling (since this appendage was only required to fit a coupling at that end I'm puzzled as to why Tri-ang didn't simply stretch the superstructure to fit, as IMHO it looks awkward with that big lump hung out the back). The protruding axleboxes were filed back about 1.5mm and new plasticard covers added, punched out with the same leather punch I used for the same purpose in 1968!! The bonnet sides have been modified to remove the grilles nearest the cab and the remaining six replaced with etched parts left over from a Blacksmith Models Syphon G Diag 062 conversion kit - these had their height reduced by one 'slat' and fit perfectly. New engine access doors have been scribed in. The two small side boxes have been deleted too, these only exist as locations for lugs to laterally position the body on the chassis but one was already broken off so I added a new one centrally at the cab end, just ahead of the coupling where a notch for it already exists. MTK buffers again, Oleo this time. Engine exhaust, vent thingy (not convinced.....) and plastic horns (Piko?) from the spares box are not glued in yet. I'm not happy about the narrow windscreens but the use of a motor bogie means such a compromise was inevitable - besides, Deltic drivers coped at 100mph so......! 

1322433751_DockShunterfront.jpg.008a2015565efc3dcd36378c0dd882c1.jpg289643065_DockShunterrear.jpg.38bb7fc8a8bc5d0ed2e87680c5aa35e3.jpg

At this point I should have reached for the paint, but instead (oh dear) took a look at the bits I still had left over, including a scratchbuilt plasticard Barclay body, an 0-4-0 6' WB bushed chassis apparently made from whitemetal sheet, can motor with flywheel, 10-spoke wheels, axles, pins etc and, unfortunately, realised that I could use up almost everything by building a Barclay 0-4-0 shunter. The steps are off a scrap Lima 08 and fly cranks off a Mainline 03. Mike had built the Barclay as an 0-6-0 so I shortened it by 10mm (one engine compartment door) and ended up with a cross between Classes 01 & 06 with a bit of D2400 mixed in. Barclay did build shunters for industrial use, Mike himself was involved in the purchase of a full-sized one which I believe is still resident on the Avon Valley Railway. Admittedly this is a scratchbuild so off-topic, but I did then note that I now had one steam and two diesels, and an 0-4-0 saddle tank would balance things up nicely.........this Dapol Pug had to have new bufferbeams added as the dumb buffers were far too low compared to the Tri-ang products. More MTK buffers - in fact I only realised later that these four models display the four different kinds of plastic buffers MTK produced. I replaced the rainstrips as a chunk was missing, they are very fine and this seemed the easier solution for an industrial loco:

1966756471_BarclayandPug.jpg.6de99f932cc1a1470a7456adfe6c46d9.jpg

So finally, it's time to get painting - liveries? 'Nellie' will have to be blue, I'm currently thinking Dock Shunter also blue and the other two Malachite Green, but I may change my mind at the last moment! Purpose, after all this work, most of which was enjoyable but some of which had me wondering why I started? Well, I have an idea........

And surely I have to name the Barclay 'Mike', so he'll forgive me for taking a saw to it :derisive:

• Like 16
  • Round of applause 1

22 hours ago, Sophia NSE said:

Its amazing how adding a small amount of detail makes a big difference... 

IMG20211003165319.jpg.08927540bdd975c0223c0f0cf765c755.jpg

IMG20211003165313.jpg.a4085e41c4d1edc20281c536b76d1fe6.jpg

A bit more filing and filling to do yet!

That's got a lovely balance to it Sophia it just looks so right can't wait to see it painted.

Steve

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Londontram said:

That's got a lovely balance to it Sophia it just looks so right can't wait to see it painted.

Steve

As tempting as it is to backdate further and go wartime grey, there's just something about lined Southern olive green

• Like 2

An absolute schoolgirl error has been made upon consulting my copy of Russell this morning. The cab on the Q1 was approximately 2mm too low and today has been spent rectifying this 

IMG20211005183301.jpg.93da668b296e7ab5e264638fb1d81e8c.jpg

IMG20211005183312.jpg.bc660675f19eed2f8d5d856a33ccfc8a.jpg

Hopefully tomorrow will be dry long enough for a coat of primer to go on 

IMG20211005191344.jpg.f0bb7986d32a674c5e068c697aa6dc75.jpg

I also couldn't resist popping the buffers in temporarily :D

Edited by Sophia NSE
Extra stuff and nonsense
  • Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

54 minutes ago, DanInHisDen said:

Do the old tri ang nellies work on the modern 0-4-0 (inside cylinder) chassis?

They are not a drop on fit if that's what you are thinking of.  But, with grit, determination and two 6" nails, anything will fit on anything! :D

• Like 3

So here's today's level of modelling insanity. Plenty of fettling but no unladylike words were necessary for once! 

IMG20211007140227.jpg.9062bb4363aa58a83e9b73fb9d21cfd0.jpg

IMG20211007140254.jpg.b75b68f56b9e6d44dfd3218dba1e6508.jpg

Plus another lump to park it on 

IMG20211007140319.jpg.cf5a90597c78ed6955c250493a4048b9.jpg

A K's chassis from a 14xx that a certain northwestern box shifter was flogging off at an affordable price due to the body (the part I don't care about) being a bit rough with parts missing. The new boiler extensions actually hide the worm gear completely and the chassis works so I don't need to mess with it at all :D

• Like 14