Show us your Pugbashes, Nellieboshes, Desmondifications, Jintysteins

Corbs

On 28/12/2020 at 23:33, Corbs said:

Indeed :lol:

Don't know about 'pugs' but this is definitely a 'bash'. Currently I am trying to make 2 x Toy Story bodies into a lesser-spotted Hammerhead Locomotive.....

The cab will likely not be permanent!

9D0DDDB0-7BFE-4F4D-A008-3CF69B8D03DC_1_105_c.jpeg.5bd873fc34c140062f0534562b7e4914.jpeg

Any progress with this, corbs?

On 04/11/2021 at 12:37, Rockalaucher101 said:

I think there may actually be a couple more than that. Holden 101, Caley Pug, Class D, The Shorty Thomas, Bagnall Diesel, Class 06, of course the Hornby Percy also uses the same chassis, (Bill and Ben I've heard have different mechanisms) doubt that should be counted though.

To my knowledge I think that's it. Quite the variety to choose from and typically pretty cheap depending on where you look.

I believe Bill and Ben have the same mechanism as the others, with a very bloated body to fit it in. One other addition to the list is the curious "International" tank that Hornby produced in the 70s, which was a sort of German-looking thing of freelance design. I'm not sure why they dropped it, it's not like it was any less realistic than Shorty Thomas. But it can be picked up pretty cheap second-hand.

• Agree 1

Hi all,

Don't forget the little diesels like this 06. It shares the same mechanism as the pugs etc. I do not do many diesels but i kind of like this one to go along with my H/D and Wrenn  Co-Co's, Deltic, Co-Bo's, Class 20's and O8s. I am not sure how old this model is but the box suggests 1990's. Not quite as old as my other diesels, But Ho Hum begger's cannot be choosers so to speal... :)

06 4.jpg

06 3.jpg

06 2.jpg

06 1.jpg

Edited by cypherman
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, cypherman said:

Don't forget the little diesels like this 06.

Don't you worry, they haven't been forgotten. Not sure what the plan is on whether or not we'll be allowed to use them in the competition that is being mulled over.

Question is though, is this one that you'd be willing to have a bash at modifying? If you'll pardon the pun...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rockalaucher101 said:

Just managed to find an image off Google of the Bill/Ben chassis, side by side with a Smokey Joe chassis. It is very slightly different... Wonder why this hasn't been adopted in more models.

image.png.982a6f924180dc8c78e0c00ab9b05867.png

The Bill and Ben chassis is essentially the same as the Toby chassis. There are four axle slots. If I remember rightly 1,2,and 4 are used for Toby and 1 and 3 for the twins. It's a nice heavy lump of metal, but the horizontally mounted motor (and the unneccesarilly chunky mountings) are far too big for most locos. It wouldn't really be viable for anything other than a large side tank if the model was to be anywhere near scale.

• Informative/Useful 2

4 minutes ago, DK123GWR said:

The Bill and Ben chassis is essentially the same as the Toby chassis. There are four axle slots. If I remember rightly 1,2,and 4 are used for Toby and 1 and 3 for the twins. It's a nice heavy lump of metal, but the horizontally mounted motor (and the unneccesarilly chunky mountings) are far too big for most locos. It wouldn't really be viable for anything other than a large side tank if the model was to be anywhere near scale.

Did not know that about the Toby chassis, very interesting. Shame about the height of the thing, but I wonder how it performed with the extra weight and gearing.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rockalaucher101 said:

Just managed to find an image off Google of the Bill/Ben chassis, side by side with a Smokey Joe chassis. It is very slightly different... Wonder why this hasn't been adopted in more models.

I stand corrected. I wonder why they decided to tool that up? The difference is barely perceptible from the outside and it's not like there's a shortage of space in Bill and Ben's bodies. 

1 hour ago, Rockalaucher101 said:

Did not know that about the Toby chassis, very interesting. Shame about the height of the thing, but I wonder how it performed with the extra weight and gearing.

Haulage is pretty good. It's better than any of my Caley pug chassis at low speeds, but nowhere near the sort of performance you would get from Pecketts, etc.).

6 minutes ago, AlfaZagato said:

Are y'all sure you're not conflating the Bachman Bill/Ben here?   Is it possible that one or the other sold the one tooling?

I'm definitely talking about Hornby. I have Toby, and have done since I was a young child, several years before Bachmann's Thomas came to the UK. The chassis shown in that picture is the same one.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, HonestTom said:

I stand corrected. I wonder why they decided to tool that up? The difference is barely perceptible from the outside and it's not like there's a shortage of space in Bill and Ben's bodies. 

I measured up Hornby Bill/Ben a while ago and the dimensions are almost right for 7mm scale

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, AlfaZagato said:

Are y'all sure you're not conflating the Bachman Bill/Ben here?   Is it possible that one or the other sold the one tooling?

You could get the Bachmann Bill or Ben inside the Hornby body with room to spare.

If you want to use the latter for a Pugbash, it'll have to be for O-16.5

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, Dunsignalling said:

You could get the Bachmann Bill or Ben inside the Hornby body with room to spare.

If you want to use the latter for a Pugbash, it'll have to be for O-16.5

Or according to Corbs' measuremments 7mm standard gauge. I've read somewhere on RMWeb that somebody did it once, though I don't recall seeing any pictures.

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, DK123GWR said:

Or according to Corbs' measuremments 7mm standard gauge. I've read somewhere on RMWeb that somebody did it once, though I don't recall seeing any pictures.

A pal of mine has successfully done one in O-16.5, but I think he narrowed it quite a bit. May have a pic somewhere..

John

• Like 1

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if I could ask a question. How are the wheels attached to the axles on a Hornby 0-4-0 chassis (like Smokey Joe), and how are the coupling rods held onto the wheels? I plan to take apart an outside cylinder version of the chassis, but I am not quite sure how to remove these components.

Thanks

20 minutes ago, SR71 said:

I don't think I've posted this before. Pug bash from a Percy I did about fifteen years ago.

1938075416_Screenshot_20211109-2124492.png.8442f71158b3df009459ea5594928a06.png

Very nice! I love the detail under the saddle tank. The Hornby Peckett W4s have detailing in that area and it does so much to bring it up from looking like a 'toy' to a 'proper' model. Do you remember where you got a smokebox door to fit? Whenever I look at doing something to a Hornby Percy this is one of the big stumbling blocks. Thomas of course is easy because the one from the Dowlais 0-4-0 goes on with a bit of filing.

Edited by DK123GWR
  • Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, DK123GWR said:

Very nice! I love the detail under the saddle tank. The Hornby Peckett W4s have detailing in that area and it does so much to bring it up from looking like a 'toy' to a 'proper' model. Do you remember where you got a smokebox door to fit? Whenever I look at doing something to a Hornby Percy this is one of the big stumbling blocks. Thomas of course is easy because the one from the Dowlais 0-4-0 goes on with a bit of filing.

Thank you. It would probably have been airfix, maybe a prairie filed down. The cylinders are Dapol castle or county. Wheels are Gibson Terrier although I managed to get one of them off square so haven't really run it that much. Detailing is scraps of wire soldered together.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, cypherman said:

Hi all,

Well this makes my humble effort pale in comparison. Really nicely done.

Thank you but also note you have completed far more conversions than me. The updates took far longer than I'd anticipated but was one of those where once I'd committed so much time I just had to plough on. Knowing what I know now I wouldn't choose to do it again starting from that base.

5 hours ago, SR71 said:

Thank you but also note you have completed far more conversions than me. The updates took far longer than I'd anticipated but was one of those where once I'd committed so much time I just had to plough on. Knowing what I know now I wouldn't choose to do it again starting from that base.

Hi SR71,

I know the feeling about things taking longer than anticipated. I have several projects sat waiting to be finished or restarted due to a plethora of reasons. Ranging from loosing interest to being unable to get the required parts and waiting for them to appear. But all will eventually get done.

On 09/11/2021 at 11:44, Rockalaucher101 said:

As I understand it, though they are superior in the way they run, many are prone to mazak rot along with the Toby chassis. I did once own one of the later Toby the Tram locos which was one of the few which did not have issues because the last few made were ok. I was going to use it for a Smallbrook Cadera kit but I looked at a Lima class 09 that had its con rods where I wanted them and I just had to use that instead, and Toby was sold to a Thomas collector. 

To use rhe Lima chassis took a lot of work and fettling, mainly with the body of the kit itself. Its while nose had to be milled and slightly raised to accomodate the motor and it also had to be set back a few milimetres from the front. It was a lot more work then I had inticipated but worth it. 

I will have to play with the motor and gears a bit to get it to run nicely. I had done this in the past and had it running beautifully when it had the 09 body. For some reason it needs a little fettling again now it has had its new body. I have not quite finished it yet though and I will do it after I have finished the rest of the loco. 

• Like 1

On 09/11/2021 at 21:26, Justang said:

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if I could ask a question. How are the wheels attached to the axles on a Hornby 0-4-0 chassis (like Smokey Joe), and how are the coupling rods held onto the wheels? I plan to take apart an outside cylinder version of the chassis, but I am not quite sure how to remove these components.

Thanks

They are a simple push fit.  The new Chinese chassis take some tugging to pull them out. The older versions of the chassis were easier to take the crank pins out.  The whole wheel centres (The plastic part) can also come out. 

While the older versions were very easy to dissasemble and assemble, the recent versions can be a pain as they have a new design of pick up which needs about three hands to put the things back into place. They do run better though! Oh. And on the old versions the motors simply unclipped with that wire clip. The new ones both had the wire clip and now have a sticky substance to hold the motor moee firmly in place. Not a problem though, as one can stick the motor back where it was. The new ones also have soldered wires to the pickups. The old ones were not soldered. They simply had the pickup design touch the motor terminals so did not need it. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2