Show us your Pugbashes, Nellieboshes, Desmondifications, Jintysteins

Corbs

Just now, 009 micro modeller said:

The rear-facing cylinders may be a slight issue. Though not all fireless locos have those.

Having dismantled a Hornby Peckett for fitting under a Hardy's body, I think the powerdrive would fit.
If I had the spare cash, I'd try it.
Time to look for bargains, I think.:lol:

25 minutes ago, Sandhole said:

Having dismantled a Hornby Peckett for fitting under a Hardy's body, I think the powerdrive would fit.
If I had the spare cash, I'd try it.
Time to look for bargains, I think.:lol:

I've looked at doing this - it's a bit too tall to fit to scale in the Barclay fireless, but if you were prepared to make the pressure vessel bigger, it could be made to work. The other issue being that the front of the motor and boiler on the Peckett will stick into the cab on the Fireless, but again, not insurmountable.

Peckett also made a fireless, so the wheels and cylinders would be the correct type for that!

I think people have made fireless locos out of Pugs too - the chassis is about the right size, and I think the motor might fit if it could be rotated 90°. EDIT: Gibbo beat me to it!

Edited by TurboSnail
  • Informative/Useful 1

22 hours ago, Sandhole said:

I remember when Quainton Road put the Fireless back in 'steam'. She was charged from Coventry No1 a NB 0-6-0 tank, that had benn modified with a steam take off.
The heady days of Quainton Road. I've always enjoyed going there!
Chris.

One of the guys from Quainton came and did a condition report when we were looking at restoring HP1.

He said that in his view, the results of steaming one loco just to charge another weren't really worth the effort.

That said, Ayrshire Railway Preservation Society currently run a fireless loco, and I'm surprised more railways haven't looked into charging a fireless loco with electrically-produced steam as a mitigation against the possibility of coal becoming unavailable.

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

7 minutes ago, RJS1977 said:

One of the guys from Quainton came and did a condition report when we were looking at restoring HP1.

He said that in his view, the results of steaming one loco just to charge another weren't really worth the effort.

That said, Ayrshire Railway Preservation Society currently run a fireless loco, and I'm surprised more railways haven't looked into charging a fireless loco with electrically-produced steam as a mitigation against the possibility of coal becoming unavailable.

Is there anywhere with working stationary engines that would be in a position to use a fireless loco and charge it from those? Do Ayrshire also charge theirs from a conventional loco?

As far as I know the ones that have steamed in preservation have only run on short lines (like at Quainton Road) and I wonder whether the range would be sufficient for longer lines.

• Agree 1

Just now, 009 micro modeller said:

Is there anywhere with working stationary engines that would be in a position to use a fireless loco and charge it from those? Do Ayrshire also charge theirs from a conventional loco?

As far as I know the ones that have steamed in preservation have only run on short lines (like at Quainton Road) and I wonder whether the range would be sufficient for longer lines.

Their range was always short I think. Though, there were some monsters build for Dorman Long, by Barclay. 
They never went far from the steam source.
Shunting is stop start too, not continuous use of steam.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Sandhole said:

Their range was always short I think. Though, there were some monsters build for Dorman Long, by Barclay. 
They never went far from the steam source.
Shunting is stop start too, not continuous use of steam.

Though arguably stop-start shunting would use more steam than running continuously for an equivalent distance.

The biggest issue though is brakes - vacuum brakes require too much steam to be viable on a fireless loco.

• Informative/Useful 2

The sun was out this morning so I took the opportunity for some garden shots 

IMG20210804104223.jpg.46c677b0a166a8addd01cbd4193efa21.jpg

A C class hauling a short mixed goods. It actually works too as @BlueLightningcan confirm!IMG20210804104230.jpg.1ac91f1842cb5c67e9f365595dce669b.jpg

The glossy paintjob is so glossy it was reflecting my pink phone case :lol_mini: 

Next stage is handrails 

IMG20210804104505.jpg.4a5535f04e9d85e082a0eb492ce87d79.jpg

Coming back the other way was the branch line passenger service 

IMG20210804105415.jpg.ad3540213eda6f58e87cb51abec995ff.jpg

Even the Boughton Quarry shunter decided to get in on the action! 

IMG20210804110345.jpg.1f0c2a39880d295851a296230f24e5b9.jpg

Next victim already in primer grey. Hopefully I can get the brake coach soon for a more branch line rake of coaches

• Like 11
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Sophia NSE said:

But HE started it sir!

To which the trained teacher responds: "We're talking about your behaviour, not someone else's."

Anyway, they're both kettles.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

On 03/08/2021 at 18:24, 009 micro modeller said:

MOSI in Manchester used to use their one for rides. At the end you can see it being refuelled with steam, which I assume came from the same source used for the stationary engines.

Jason

• Like 4

Hi Folks,

Quick physics lesson here, fireless locomotives are not charged with steam but superheated water, that is water that has been raised to above 212*F (100*C).

The tank of the locomotive is actually an accumulator and is heavily insulated so that as the head of steam, that is produced by the volume of heat that is at the temperature of the water, is used water boils off and expands into the space above the water, the temperature of the water and pressure of the head of steam remaining constant.

So long as there is water in the accumulator then the head of steam will be constant relative to temperature, obviously the volume of water and therefore the volume of heat (energy imparted to the water) reduces as the water level drops which is why the accumulator requires to be recharged as the volume of water reduces as steam is used for traction.

Water at 379*F (202*C) provides 180lbs of steam.

Hope that helps,

Gibbo.

Edited by Gibbo675
I missed a comma, somewhere.
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 10