plastic type resin to repair loco body

• RMweb Premium

Hi Guys,

Is there a plastic type resin or whatever, to repair a Loco body. Its basically a hole that someone drilled into the loco body. (Its a long story LoL).

Thanks

Nick

Various plastic fillers around that would do the job. I use Squadron 'White' personally, but there are others.

How big is the hole? If small (a few mm or less) could the hole be plugged with plastic rod?

Various plastic fillers around that would do the job. I use Squadron 'White' personally, but there are others.

How big is the hole? If small (a few mm or less) could the hole be plugged with plastic rod?

Its a couple of mm . someone moved the front headlight from the loco and decided to put it through the roof. (I am being serious !!). It looks like a F%$£@!{ police siren... 

Have you checked that it isn't for the winding key? In these days of climate change clockwork could make a comeback!

LOL... :-)

• RMweb Premium

I'd suggest using Milliput, easy to mix in desired quantity, applies easily and can be filed or smoothed with fine abrasive paper.

You will inevitably find other uses in future and a two part pack will last you a long time.

Regards,

John

Its a couple of mm . someone moved the front headlight from the loco and decided to put it through the roof. (I am being serious !!). It looks like a F%$£@!{ police siren... 

LOL... :-)

Plastic rod welded in place will give you the easiest and neatest solution.

If it's a very small hole that won't get handled much then I recommend tippex.  It fills gaps really well and is much easier to remove the excess and smooth than milliput or similar.  However, it won't be as strong so don't use it if it's in a place where it might get bashed.

I'd suggest using Milliput, easy to mix in desired quantity, applies easily ...

...and the real joy of this material is that no abrasive is required, as it may be worked with a little water before it 'goes off', to match a profile. This is particularly valuable in the type of situation described where the repair site is in a very visible location, and the use of any abrasive may damage surrounding detail or the surface finish; leadig to further repair to restore appearance.

This wet technique is one to practise first on some scrap, once mastered then go to the damaged model. As already mentioned there's plenty in the pack to keep trying until you get the hang of it.

I have used Talcum powder mix'ed with superglue . Just mix the two in to a paste fill the hole in  . When dry use fine wet and dry to finish off.

I was about to suggest superglue with baking powder; I'll give your talcum suggestion a go next time. I got the idea from here:

It works!

Probably best to try it out somewhere that doesn't matter, to check superglue doesn't damage the plastic.

Personally I would glue a plug in using Evostick Pipe weld or similar solvent intended for plastic domestic water pipes and then file and sand to shape.  When freshly opened pipe weld makes a very strong bond on the sorts of plastic Lima, Hornby and Hornby Dublo use.  You can also melt sprue in pipe weld to make a filler paste but it needs care.

However that superglue and baking soda/ bone dust idea sounds well worth a punt. If I knew where to get bone from I'm thinking bone might be better for insulators than the usual plastics.

Archived