Little Muddle

KNP

These shots highlight what I was aiming for when the layout was designed.

Push the track to the back and build the scenery up in front of it so you had to peer around things.

It seems to have worked....

Thanks.

That milk wagon is an old Lima one, had horrible wheels that were replaced by a spare set of Bachmann ones, rides to high and is not free wheeling. Sits most of the time in the creamery siding hidden under the canopy.

I have 3 of which this is the only one finished so in relation to that long rake you had, this is my version!!!!!

• Like 4

Not all milk trains running down a branch line had a passenger coach attached, some consisted of just milk vans or tanks and a goods brake van on the rear.

So says http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/gansg/7-fops/fo-milk.htm

Hey what an interesting link you posted there, makes me glad I posed the question.

So it seems that logic says a goods brakevan is ok on a branch, where speeds will be low, but a passenger brake on a mainline with a higher ruling speed.

If my memory is correct my last sighting of a Hymek was on milk empties hammering through Bristol Parkway just after 9pm in about May/Jun 77, I think. In the failing light the exhaust was glowing red, somebody was in a hurry!

Thanks once again.

• Like 1

On 20/05/2017 at 21:25, sjrixon said:

What paper do you print the bricks onto? 

Ps Looking good.. Loved the Milk train set, must do something similar when I have some background :)

Thank you and the sequence of pictures was taken over a 5 minute spell with my iPhone 5s and I was pushing the train along the track because I couldn't be bothered to wait for tablet/Railmaster to fire up.......

I have to say the quality of these cameras on these phones is surprising good, no settings to mess with and the only lighting was the room and layout pelmet.

Attached is a picture of the front cover of the paper I use I got a new supply only last week for £4.99 from e-bay.

You can get lighter paper, 80 gsm if memory serves, but I found this could tear too easy when the glue soaks into it and folding around corners.

For some reason I can't turn the picture to vertical so if you could just lean to your left to read it?????

IMG_2831.JPG.366925f1b6ad687c5f6cf4951d2df4a5.JPG

Edited by KNP
  • Like 1

Have you looked at Textures.com previously cgtextures.com for brickwork, stonework etc?

I did ages ago but not used them.

Thanks for the reminder I will take another look.

Edited by KNP

Hi Kevin,  :bye:

I alm french, and I am passionate about British trains. 

Fabulous, :good:  certainly one of the most beautiful layouts on RMWEB.  :yes:

The vegetation is superb and very realistic. The buildings are magnificent, they are so real! :wub:

I am very far from your level on my own layout... :unsure:

• Like 1

Sneak peek into the rear yard of the factory building nearing completion.

Building not fixed hence gap at base but once I've done the rainwater goods to the main building it will be fixed.

A few trees in the waste area, perhaps a change to the backscene with some buildings on.......need to play around and see what looks best.

IMG_2860.JPG.52f0a4ba60e2164015069acb77cde34f.JPG

Brick papers used throughout from the downloaded range from Model Railway Scenery, doors/windows from L-Cut

Edited by KNP
  • Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Sneak peek into the rear yard of the factory building nearing completion.

Building not fixed hence gap at base but once I've done the rainwater goods to the main building it will be fixed.

A few trees in the waste area, perhaps a change to the backscene with some buildings on.......need to play around and see what looks best.

attachicon.gifIMG_2860.JPG

Brick papers used throughout from the downloaded range from Model Railway Scenery, doors/windows from L-Cut

As a gardener I'm very impressed with your representation of weeds- it all looks so menacing!

• Like 2

Any idea why I can't get this loco to run correctly, I have checked the electrical supply and it seems to be earthing OK?

The chap in the shop said it needed a bit of oiling and a some water to the floral display to make it run just like the real thing.

Also on further inspection there appears to be no socket for a DCC chip in it either.

I did try on the layout earlier but the board ended up on the ceiling!

attachicon.gifIMG_2803.JPG

Did you steal it by any chance, at night,  from a turntable in the Titfield area?

On 24/05/2017 at 17:25, Andrew P said:

Great work Kevin, but NO Buildings please, just more nice Trees and WEEDS please. :sungum:

Thanks, I think even I would get a bit bored if I had a layout with just trees and weeds on though it would make an interesting entrant to this cameo completion!

So just for you I've taken the module outside, put it on the brick planter and taken this picture of the other side of the boiler house.....?

IMG_2861.JPG.58ef8b58227f6cbfdb34bc36f6e520f1.JPG

Weeds and other growing things, you know.....flowering plants of some sort or other!!!

EDIT

Just noticed I've even managed to model some bubbles at the base of the chimney

Edited by KNP
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold
Thanks, I think even I would get a bit bored if I had a layout with just trees and weeds on though it would make an interesting entrant to this cameo completion!

So just for you I've taken the module outside, put it on the brick planter and taken this picture of the other side of the boiler house.....?

attachicon.gifIMG_2861.JPG

Weeds and other growing things, you know.....flowering plants of some sort or other!!!

EDIT

Just noticed I've even managed to model some bubbles at the base of the chimney[/quote

That's more pleasing than most Chelsea flower show entries. Silver Gilt!

• RMweb Premium

Bubbles at the base of the chimney? I honestly thought that was a cast iron bracket supporting the chimney. 

Superb modelling. With two exhibitions looming for two of my layouts I mustn't get distracted, but what great inspiration to do a module or two of my own is!

attachicon.gifIMG_2861.JPG

EDIT

Just noticed I've even managed to model some bubbles at the base of the chimney[/quote

That's more pleasing than most Chelsea flower show entries. Silver Gilt!

Why thank you very much, I started planning this last year by growing some suitable weeds in the greenhouse, after planting in a mulch rich medium I allowed the weeds to grow but without flowering by asking them nicely not to do so.

The base was prepared and the grass/plants added in a planned random ad-hoc basis that took along while to layout to a pleasing design.

Once in place they were allowed to flower, trimmed with a small pair of needlework scissors and then dusted with that well known fertilizer - hairspray.

I have one problem the silver gilt card is larger than the model!!!

Edited by KNP

Bubbles at the base of the chimney? I honestly thought that was a cast iron bracket supporting the chimney. 

Superb modelling. With two exhibitions looming for two of my layouts I mustn't get distracted, but what great inspiration to do a module or two of my own is!

Thanks

No just Roket glue - one of the best glues I have found as it seems to stick everything I ask it to and quickly. No more making a card model and waiting until the next day.

Edited by KNP
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Excuse me for showing my ignorance, but shouldn't the milk train have a passenger brakevan? Or was that only on mainlines?

If not please don't tell Mrs MB, 'cos I've recently got 2 full brakes, on the basis that I didnt have any for Helstonish's milk traffic.

Please keep the inspiration going

Milk was Passenger Rated traffic and therefore treated as such and would normally pass on either a passenger train (as tail traffic in the case of tank wagons of course) or in milk trains run especially to convey milk traffic.

However there do seem to have been instances where it was worked by freight services on some branchlines or for final local tripping at the 'country end' - presumably where a suitable passenger service wasn't available or didn't run at the required time.

EDIT TO ADD FURTHER INFORMATION -

On the GWR it was forbidden to marshal milk tanks in freight trains except washere special (written ) authority permitted it.

Edited by The Stationmaster

Bill U Quick Construction.

Progress notification.

Picture taken from press release handout issued at community update meeting held at The Station PH at tea time.

Industrial area of Cathcott's Field shaping up nicely as work progresses at a steading pace.

A few areas of tidying up needed i.e. base of front door step needs filling, gap in wall where the two modules join etc.

I have removed the station fencing and lamps to save me damaging them so they will need to go back when I'm happy I have finished the scene.

Slightly out of focus you can see the new homemade guttering and downpipes to the factory building added this very afternoon.

New brick paper added to RH rendered building to end wall and chimney stack tidied up. After all is was the first building I built, in what was to me a new of medium card and brickpaper, back in 2009! so it is looking a bit tired now.

IMG_2886.JPG.fc1e368039861de3a6b081d248d6fe24.JPG

Once the basic's are done then time to add the extra detailing to the yard/area to bring it to life.

Scene coming together with the random heights and shapes I was after when I first did the card mock up's.

Edited by KNP
  • Like 15