Little Muddle

KNP

Abso bloomin lovely Kevin, I don't know how you make these Buildings look so good.

Thanks, printed brick paper changed the whole context of modelling for me a few years ago and the quality you can now print on home printers plus if you run out so I just pop downstairs and print off another sheet.

Vallejo paints was another as it dries quickly but more importantly can be thinned to a wash consistency so the colour can be built up with variations and depth.

Sometimes I come back later on another project and think 'how did I get that colour/finish/effect!!!!!

• Like 2

Wow wow and double wow.....I'd have been happy with the original but I do see where your coming from ......and time does help expand the mind and the scene it would appear  :sungum:

Thanks, it was one of those things that I stood back and just couldn't put my finger on why I wasn't happy with it.

Everybody else was but me.

At one stage I was going to scrap it and start again!

Agree - time does expand the mind and the light of a fresh day makes you see things differently. 

Edited by KNP
  • Like 1

Vallejo paints was another as it dries quickly but more importantly can be thinned to a wash consistency so the colour can be built up with variations and depth.

Sometimes I come back later on another project and think 'how did I get that colour/finish/effect!!!!!

Hi Kevin,

Vallejo is now my "go to" paint of choice and usually grab it for most of my modelling jobs.

Very much like you I used to be forgetful about the methods I'd used and then took to writing my methods down either during or afterwards. It has paid dividends over the years :)

Grahame

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Thanks, printed brick paper changed the whole context of modelling for me a few years ago and the quality you can now print on home printers plus if you run out so I just pop downstairs and print off another sheet.

I agree regarding brick paper. I still use Superquick from time to time. Under the two-foot rule a well-built brick wall should really look flat.

• Like 1

Interesting as I have been finding Vallejo Model Color my new go to hand brush paint when I don't want to go to a lot of trouble to set up the airbrush. We in the North American scene have been working around the demise of Floquil Polly S acrylic after it was acquired by Rustoleum/Testors/Model Master a couple of years ago. 

Some results on my http://srandsp.blogspot.com/ blog. Note that the Padstow station building seen in the background behind the PFE cars is "stone" paper built about 6 years ago.

Edited by autocoach

With regards to brick paper I find that I just can't beat the colour effects the printed paper gives.

Over the many years I have been modelling railways the main material was Wills brick sheets, I can even go back to the punched card 'chads' as brought to the modelling world by Allan Downes, but could never get these colour effects offered by the printed sheet.

The best example of what I'm on about is the following picture of the side wall of the new boilerhouse.

IMG_2746.JPG.02e5751078661e5da4ea4480ce1e7a5c.JPG

It's easy to work with, make interesting  shapes, angles etc.

A couple of coats of UV varnish and it's finished.

Great fan of this material.

Edited by KNP
  • Like 12

Excuse me for showing my ignorance, but shouldn't the milk train have a passenger brakevan? Or was that only on mainlines?

If not please don't tell Mrs MB, 'cos I've recently got 2 full brakes, on the basis that I didnt have any for Helstonish's milk traffic.

Please keep the inspiration going

• Like 1

Excuse me for showing my ignorance, but shouldn't the milk train have a passenger brakevan? Or was that only on mainlines?

If not please don't tell Mrs MB, 'cos I've recently got 2 full brakes, on the basis that I didnt have any for Helstonish's milk traffic.

To be honest I don't know but I suspect someone will advise us in due course?

In my defense this was all that was available in the yard at the time I requested the photo shoot from the Encombe Station Master...........!?!

Not all milk trains running down a branch line had a passenger coach attached, some consisted of just milk vans or tanks and a goods brake van on the rear.

So says http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/gansg/7-fops/fo-milk.htm

Edited by Coombe Barton