Little Muddle

KNP

On 02/10/2017 at 21:33, Coombe Barton said:

What's in the tank? Would it have required a barrier wagon?

Fifth paragraph - http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/gansg/7-fops/fo-petrol.htm

Milk? It's come from the creamery where it lives in hiding because the buffers are at a different height for some reason.....

255.JPG.b7060ccc312066f9c67ca8e2a2fc94fd.JPG

It has been re wheeled with smaller ones but is still higher than the rest of the rolling stock so it hides under the creamery canopy and only comes out at night!!!!!!

Edited by KNP
  • Like 10

• RMweb Gold

In the process of formatting a sequence of 4550 shunting in the yard at Little Muddle I took this picture.

Will post them when I have finished editing them as it takes quite a time but in the mean time I took a picture more by chance to see what it came out like and far I could push my camera, editing suite and model.

This is taken as if the photographer was standing close to the loco as it trundled by.

attachicon.gif1042.jpg

Whilst editing it I realised this could look good in B&W, so using Affinity I changed it to do that that but applied a cold setting and this is the result.....

attachicon.gif1043.jpg

Now to me, this one is by far the more realistic one as this would have been the normal type of film used in the mid 30's.

I have a feeling there will be more pictures like this......

This will the last pictures of this loco before it goes 'under the knife' to have the bulk timber added to the rear buffer beam that this loco carried for the frame and coal bunker extension.

I hope you realise that in the near future, when people search on Google for images of "Small Prairie Tanks", these images will pop up and most of them won't know these aren't photos of the prototypes!

Maybe those who know something about buffer beams will spot the "deliberate" mistake, though...

;-)

Thanks, it was one of these things that went through my mind after the viaduct shot and then I realised I had actually seen a shunting sequenced photographed before, well I haven't but I suspect somewhere hidden in this website there will be one!

What surprised me was how long it took me to almost choreograph and write a script to do this, I felt like a film director as I had to work out camera positions, lighting, sequencing of shots, make-up!! and editing.....

Then the post focus was slow as I haven't yet found a suitable media package that can automatically save individual post focus shots which are basically a MP4 short video at different focal points. The one I use - MPC-HC x64 - is manual so I have to start at the beginning - save, move a bit, save and so on, one of the shots was 72 pictures long, at least Serif Affinity focus merge program does it's own thing....

Anyway it keeps me off the streets!!!!

Just in case anyone was concerned here is 4550 now?

1060.JPG.db67f9ea3fbf6368e3344ddcfb256246.JPG

I think the driver is pointing and saying 'Where's my loco gone, is that the body and parts in a Chinese takeaway tray over there...!!!!'

Fireman seems unperturbed as he is still drinking his mug of tea.

One funny thing is that it didn't dawn on me that the frame was cast metal, even though I have taken this to pieces a few times. I found out when I went to trim it with my knife thinking it was plastic..........

I blame it on the weather?

Edited by KNP
  • Like 8

Thanks, it was one of these things that went through my mind after the viaduct shot and then I realised I had actually seen a shunting sequenced photographed before, well I haven't but I suspect somewhere hidden in this website there will be one!

What surprised me was how long it took me to almost choreograph and write a script to do this, I felt like a film director as I had to work out camera positions, lighting, sequencing of shots, make-up!! and editing.....

Then the post focus was slow as I haven't yet found a suitable media package that can automatically save individual post focus shots which are basically a MP4 short video at different focal points. The one I use - MPC-HC x64 - is manual so I have to start at the beginning - save, move a bit, save and so on, one of the shots was 72 pictures long, at least Serif Affinity focus merge program does it's own thing....

Anyway it keeps me off the streets!!!!

Just in case anyone was concerned here is 4550 now?

attachicon.gif1060.JPG

I think the driver is pointing and saying 'Where's my loco gone, is that the body and parts in a Chinese takeaway tray over there...!!!!'

Fireman seems unperturbed as he is still drinking his mug of tea.

One funny thing is that it didn't dawn on me that the frame was cast metal, even though I have taken this to pieces a few times. I found out when I went to trim it with my knife thinking it was plastic..........

I blame it on the weather?

I remember doing my Photo sequence shoots on Pencarne, and some could take all day, moving Tanks in to the Dairy, and removing the old ones, then exchanging the Vans / Wagons in the Shed and Yard, and re assemble a Train so I can sympathise, but your results are excellent.

Thanks, it's one of times when everything worked - lighting and editiing clicked plus when smoothing the graining slightly gave this lovely sheen to the loco.

There was another one I took but it didn't come out as well which I think was down to the fact I had to move the lighting rig so I could get to the camera to take the picture as it was standing on the track.

Should have set up the remote access, I know, but the i-phone was downstairs and I was upstairs....!!!!

Anyway here it is for comments.

1065.jpg.ab3735fa2a5d3375c49f8f81985d83ef.jpg

Other thing was that I got the camera lens to close to the model, about 20mm away!!!, which I didn't spot when taking so the RH side is out of focus.

What I should have done is move the camera much further away and then edited the picture to give the close up effect.

Live and learn, you live and learn so long as I remember to do this!

Being a small room there have been times when I have both lighting rigs set up, camera on the tripod in front of them only to find I can't get to it to compose the picture.......it's fine having remote access but that doesn't move the camera or tripod?

Edited by KNP
  • Like 16

attachicon.gif1065.jpg

Other thing was that I got the camera lens to close to the model, about 20mm away!!!, which I didn't spot when taking so the RH side is out of focus.

What I should have done is move the camera much further away and then edited the picture to give the close up effect.

Excellent pic, nonetheless, and moving the camera back and selecting the middle portion would have produced a different angle of view. (a more telephoto feel)

Back to buddleia's

Decided to plant only a handful of them as they are still relatively new in the wild during the 1930's

So one in the garden of the farmhouse

IMG_3265.JPG.9860b801506933caa1983e33e7ef683f.JPG

Then at the viaduct where one the island plus the small one at parapet level to conceal the joint

1029.jpg.b3963c6e46d2c9a22918d7e95c5abf66.jpg

And finally one against the fence by the engine shed.

1030.jpg.fd04739232d2d51a8f23e99320cb3ac5.jpg

And for those of you interested in the process

WS brown reeds with brown flock stuck on ends and then painted purple to give flower head. The reason for brown flock is that if any grin through the paint or an area is missed then it looks like old/dead flowers!

Today there are other colours available but back then this was, I believe, the original colour (or shades of it)

IMG_3260.JPG.506e53ec7be7d316bcc9c8ba12ea3b62.JPG

Shrubs made from teased out horse hair spray painted brown and then WS blended turf sprinkled over for leaf effect.

When dry each flower glued on individually with Roket Card Glue.

IMG_3264.JPG.d6f2b628ec20ba80cabd5397a8f644f0.JPG

Edited by KNP
  • Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Back to buddleia's

Decided to plant only a handful of them as they are still relatively new in the wild during the 1930's

So one in the garden of the farmhouse

attachicon.gifIMG_3265.JPG

Then at the viaduct where one the island plus the small one at parapet level to conceal the joint

attachicon.gif1029.jpg

And finally one against the fence by the engine shed.

attachicon.gif1030.jpg

WS brown reeds with brown flock stuck on ends and then painted purple to give flower head. The reason for brown flock is that if any grin through the paint or an area is missed then it looks like old/dead flowers!

Today there are other colours available but back then this was, I believe, the original colour (or shades of it)

attachicon.gifIMG_3260.JPG

Shrubs made from teased out horse hair spray painted brown and then WS blended turf sprinkled over for leaf effect.

When dry each flower glued on individually with Roket Card Glue.

attachicon.gifIMG_3264.JPG

The patience of a Saint Kevin, no good for me unless I can use my Hot Glue Gun, hahhah

BRILLIANT.

The patience of a Saint Kevin, no good for me unless I can use my Hot Glue Gun, hahhah

BRILLIANT.

HaHa.....thanks plus you need a steady hand which is why I tend to rest the working arm on an long old paintbrush, using it like a resting stick normally called a mahl.

Very useful tip that I got of a signwriter, it's how I paint things that can't be moved off the layout and a steady hand is needed.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

[quote name="KNP" post="2888331" timestamp=

That’s much more satisfying than full size gardening— it only needs doing once and no weeding required.

The results are really convincing, have you joined the NGS?

Edited by Limpley Stoker

Agreed, no weeding but does need dusting!!!!

They came out well and pleased you find them convincing - thanks.

As regards to the NGS, the only problem would be opening the gardens and having visitors walking around......!!!!

Edited by KNP