Little Muddle

KNP

• RMweb Gold

I have entered the Cakebox Challenge but with a view that most of what I build will transfer over to Little Muddle when the challenge is over.

This is a converted GW ventilated van turned into a home/shelter for the sheep and forms one of my related railway items.

At the moment I have just 'plonked' it in the field but when ready it will be cut into the scenery so it doesn't look like it has been 'plonked' on the grass!!!!

attachicon.gif1072.JPG

Hope the tramp doesn't move in as he is just the other side of the hedge sitting by the lane?

Van bodies are often 'plonked' in fields, farmyards, or wherever they happened to fetch up when the lorry driver unloaded them in real life, and the 'plonked' look is not unrealistic; looks very good here with the wood all bleached out.  But your scenic work is masterful, and I am in no way questioning that a 'bedded in' version will not be better!

Van bodies are often 'plonked' in fields, farmyards, or wherever they happened to fetch up when the lorry driver unloaded them in real life, and the 'plonked' look is not unrealistic; looks very good here with the wood all bleached out.  But your scenic work is masterful, and I am in no way questioning that a 'bedded in' version will not be better!

I agree but what I am looking for is grass growing up and around the base to make it look like it's been there a while hence the cutting in.

For years I have trying to get the bleached effect on wood which is very difficult to get right but it looks like I might have done it this time, I have photographed each stage so hopefully I replicate it again another time!!!!

You really have created a wonderful model which happens to have a railway in it. Absolutely stunning

Derek

Many thanks for that, funny but it has often been said that I use a model railway as a reason (and excuse) to model scenery.......I think that might be the case as I haven't run anything for weeks nor do I have any plans to - unless the Dapol railcar suddenly turns up of course!

Edited by KNP
  • Like 3

I really like the first one with the fallen tree.

Thanks, I can recall that working out the dynamics of how a building would collapse (or distorted) under the load of a tree branch falling on it turned out quite challenging.

Then on top of that I had to build it.......but it's a hobby we all enjoy - well most of time when it's going right????

If you go back to Page 5 post 120 there are some better pictures of it.

Edit

The missing added???

Edited by KNP
  • Like 2

Thanks, I can recall that working out the dynamics of how a building would collapse (or distorted) under the load of a tree branch falling on it turned out quite challenging.

Then on top of that I had to build it.......but it's a hobby we all enjoy - well most of time when it's going right????

If you go back to Page post 120 there are some better pictures of it.

Page 5 for those interested to see it

• RMweb Gold

I agree but what I am looking for is grass growing up and around the base to make it look like it's been there a while hence the cutting in.

For years I have trying to get the bleached effect on wood which is very difficult to get right but it looks like I might have done it this time, I have photographed each stage so hopefully I replicate it again another time!!!!

You see, this sort of thinking is what makes you a better scenic modeller than me.  I plonk buildings around the layout where I think they should go, and worry about 'bedding in' with a bit of flock later when I'm in the mood, while you plan it from the start...

Thanks, glad I didn't spoil your breakfast this time!

The more I looked at it the more I like the idea of keeping the field.

But if that is the case then a few prime trees are needed to draw the eye.

There did use to be a large tree standing by the station but I removed it to do the works to the field.

697.JPG.89ee527b30152d48e9ce166091900562.JPG

So I think I will either replace it or build that that sits in the middle of the field with a trough and worn muddy ground around the base........hmmmm food for thought?

Nice having old pictures as you can go back and compare, this picture is of about 12months ago.

Edited by KNP
  • Like 13

Went to the Buckinghamshire Railway Centre at Quainton yesterday with my son and grandson as the weather was forecast as dry, cloudy with sunny periods.

Wrong..........view from footbridge by engine/carriage works

P1060320.JPG.85bccf68cd1212b50522cf0438e2d025.JPG

P1060321.JPG.e13ed807096a54f872f5cd807dde96b5.JPG

As you can see light drizzle and misty - this was at 11.30am......

It was dry in the museum and before we could go to visit the rolling stock you must purchase a platform ticket from a non-working machine.....or so my grandson reckons????

P1060329.JPG.a10451ea027c74b5a2a391733a088a7e.JPG

Even the restaurant was closed........well it was the penultimate static opening day of the year I suppose, we had the place almost to ourselves....

Regardless of all that we enjoyed ourselves and would recommend a visit to anyone especially on a steaming day.

Edited by KNP
  • Like 6

Went to the Buckinghamshire Railway Centre at Quainton yesterday with my son and grandson as the weather was forecast as dry, cloudy with sunny periods.

attachicon.gifP1060320.JPG

attachicon.gifP1060321.JPG

As you can see light drizzle and misty - this was at 11.30am......

It was dry in the museum and before we could go to visit the rolling stock you must purchase a platform ticket from a non-working machine.....or so my grandson reckons????

attachicon.gifP1060329.JPG

Even the restaurant was closed........well it was the penultimate static opening day of the year I suppose, we had the place almost to ourselves....

Regardless of all that we enjoyed ourselves and would recommend a visit to anyone especially on a steaming day.

You mean a Restaurant OPEN day, for a big Breakfast, hahah

• Like 1

I have just received notification that Hatton's they have processed my order for the Dapol streamlined railcar No. 8 and to be picked for dispatch.

Ohhh.......Little Muddle motive fleet about to be increased by 25%.....how exciting.

Anybody else been e-mailed?

• Like 3

attachicon.gifP1060320.JPG

They have a field by the station too. ;)

Whoever set that telegraph pole in the model needs shooting though.

Brilliant, but if they look now it has returned.

A sort of ground hog day well it is meant to be a Boot and Shoe Works so perhaps it now is to be found on the other foot!!!!!

Those cows have a lot to answer for and to think I was in the processing of adding a few more!!!!

That Squadron Leader really does cause problems first he is buzzing the town in his Sopwith Pup and now his Avro 504k which is even bigger and slower.

Stand by for more problems as I believe he was now looking at a Vickers Vimy to fly passenger services to the West Country from a field just outside of Little Muddle, he said he had found one with a footpath adjoining it that lead direct to the station?!?!?

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

CRE is keen to support the campaign to preserve the field adjacent to the station and encourage the villagers of Little Muddle to apply for village green status before any planning applications are submitted to the parish council.

• Like 1

Brilliant, but if they look now it has returned.

A sort of ground hog day well it is meant to be a Boot and Shoe Works so perhaps it now is to be found on the other foot!!!!!

Those cows have a lot to answer for and to think I was in the processing of adding a few more!!!!

That Squadron Leader really does cause problems first he is buzzing the town in his Sopwith Pup and now his Avro 504k which is even bigger and slower.

Stand by for more problems as I believe he was now looking at a Vickers Vimy to fly passenger services to the West Country from a field just outside of Little Muddle, he said he had found one with a footpath adjoining it that lead direct to the station?!?!?

I think it's all a protest by the locals and the 48xx preservation society against this newfangled "streamlined railcar" competitor thingy they've heard is coming to LM. What next? electrification?

Somehow the waft of diesel fumes over the viaduct just lacks the sense of era that you have with 4825 and Autocoach IMO, Still progress I guess?

I think it's all a protest by the locals and the 48xx preservation society against this newfangled "streamlined railcar" competitor thingy they've heard is coming to LM. What next? electrification?

Somehow the waft of diesel fumes over the viaduct just lacks the sense of era that you have with 4825 and Autocoach IMO, Still progress I guess?

Sign of the times, even a rural back water has to keep up.

Regarding the waft of diesel fumes I will open the window to allow fresh air to enter whilst the railcar is running.

Mind you it's not as bad as all the smoke lingering in the room when the steam trains are running!!!!

• Like 2

I have just received notification that Hatton's they have processed my order for the Dapol streamlined railcar No. 8 and to be picked for dispatch.

Ohhh.......Little Muddle motive fleet about to be increased by 25%.....how exciting.

Anybody else been e-mailed?

Me too, yippee! Any ideas about a reasonable DCC sound for Number 8 ?

Edited by Les le Breton

The factory buildings are excellent and the group is most convincing. I like the three trees you have in the corner. Possibly add a fourth larger tree to fill the gap on the right?

I think the villagers might still be talking about how low the squadron leader flew to get those photos. A few tiles were loosened and Mrs Tregorran's poodle is still recovering.

Chaz

Me too, yippee! Any ideas about a reasonable DCC sound for Number 8 ?

Mine is currently sitting at the Warrington Mail Centre or so the PO tracker says this morning.

I have not ventured into sound yet so there will only be me standing there making noises of a diesel motoring along!!!!!

The factory buildings are excellent and the group is most convincing. I like the three trees you have in the corner. Possibly add a fourth larger tree to fill the gap on the right?

I think the villagers might still be talking about how low the squadron leader flew to get those photos. A few tiles were loosened and Mrs Tregorran's poodle is still recovering.

Chaz

The current thinking is a backscene with large trees on , I believe ID do one which I have used over the other side at Encombe Town but it's still being muddled over.

One of those issues that when undecided I park for however long until a solution pops in my mind......

The Squadron Leader can upset the neighbours as only last week he few so low that he knocked the top off Jimmy Riddle's pint........and he was sitting in the snug?

What's Mrs Tregorran's poodle recovering, last I heard the sofa was finished!

Thanks for the comment, all those buildings are freelance and come from my furtive imagination.....!!!

Edited by KNP