Dapol announces O gauge BR 20T Brake Van

MGR Hooper!

Opened mine today to find, both sets of wheels dislodged, one set of brake gear broken off, one set of glazing on the floor of the van along with a lamp iron! More to do I suspect with rough handling by the Royal Mail rather than Dapol but nevertheless disappointing as Im moving to O gauge from OO due to increasing poor eyesight and being fed up with fiddly bits either dropping off or having to be attached to locos etc. Even with careful handling these models are still delicate!

Fortunately, all the bits in this case could be glued back although the brake gear took some doing.

... nevertheless disappointing as Im moving to O gauge from OO due to increasing poor eyesight and being fed up with fiddly bits either dropping off or having to be attached to locos etc. ...

The trick is to move to O Scale before the eyesight starts to deteriorate!!  ;) :yes:

Not possible to say until photos of the finished product is available. Those based on my photos are all from 1970s onwards, but may be returnable to earlier livery

Paul

Paul,

there are now some photos on Tower Models site. Do they throw any more light on the subject as these Vans seem to be selling out rather quickly.

Regards,Derek.

• RMweb Gold

I got my 4 today from Hattons..

Nothing missing or broken all the couplings attached as well mine came by DPD though not Royal Mail. Apart from a few slightly wonky handrails they look very nice. Not much detail underneath but that's common on Dapol/lionheart stuff...

I got mine today, pretty quick for a transatlantic crossing (left in the van 12 Oct).  All in good order but it is grey (drat!).  Handrails look to be pretty straight so that's good.  I like the sprung wheels.  Also like the brake yokes even if rodding is missing.  I'll do that myself.  Overall a great looking model methinks.

I think I see what Tender was on about in post #102, the liveries mostly appear to be post 1965.  OHL flashes are appropriate for 1960 but the data boxes are late I think.

John

Edited by brossard

I got mine today, pretty quick for a transatlantic crossing (left in the van 12 Oct).  All in good order but it is grey (drat!).  Handrails look to be pretty straight so that's good.  I like the sprung wheels.  Also like the brake yokes even if rodding is missing.  I'll do that myself.  Overall a great looking model methinks.

I think I see what Tender was on about in post #102, the liveries mostly appear to be post 1965.  OHL flashes are appropriate for 1960 but the data boxes are late I think.

John

For another purpose I dated a photograph of an experimental livery - the containers with 3-D Railfreight box, it is February 1963 and has the maintenance panel I think this was part of that fundamental new livery - boxed in writing etc. I doubt it was any earlier.

Paul

I disassembled my van today and started the repaint by priming the body with red oxide.

I note that while the brake yokes are there, there are no safety loops (again!!!).  I'm curious to know if the bauxite version of this model has any brake rodding or vacuum pipe detail.  I can probably infer this from other research I've done.

I plan to make the van through piped.  There should be a device, I think it's called a "setter" that allows the guard to modulate the vacuum.  Can someone provide details of the appearance of this and it's location? (If inside it doesn't matter).

Also note that Hornby have raised the bar on brake vans with their latest ex LNER van.  This model includes a full interior - tcchh!

John

I disassembled my van today and started the repaint by priming the body with red oxide.

I note that while the brake yokes are there, there are no safety loops (again!!!). I'm curious to know if the bauxite version of this model has any brake rodding or vacuum pipe detail. I can probably infer this from other research I've done.

I plan to make the van through piped. There should be a device, I think it's called a "setter" that allows the guard to modulate the vacuum. Can someone provide details of the appearance of this and it's location? (If inside it doesn't matter).

Also note that Hornby have raised the bar on brake vans with their latest ex LNER van. This model includes a full interior - tcchh!

John

I note that while the brake yokes are there, there are no safety loops (again!!!). I'm curious to know if the bauxite version of this model has any brake rodding or vacuum pipe detail. I can probably infer this from other research I've done.

I plan to make the van through piped. There should be a device, I think it's called a "setter" that allows the guard to modulate the vacuum. Can someone provide details of the appearance of this and it's location? (If inside it doesn't matter).

Also note that Hornby have raised the bar on brake vans with their latest ex LNER van. This model includes a full interior - tcchh!

John

John

John

A couple of grey versions arrived today.  Generally very nice.  I'm not a fan of the pin point axles as on these the wheelsets were ever so slightly flapping in the wind.  I prefer the brass parallel ends myself.  However nothing that a good fettle will not cure.

Well done Mr Dapol.

A couple of grey versions arrived today.  Generally very nice.  I'm not a fan of the pin point axles as on these the wheelsets were ever so slightly flapping in the wind.  I prefer the brass parallel ends myself.  However nothing that a good fettle will not cure.

Well done Mr Dapol.

Oh, I don't know Ernie.  Pinpoints do roll freely (too freely?) and the wheels can easily be removed unlike the more common Slaters type bearings.

John

Oh, I don't know Ernie.  Pinpoints do roll freely (too freely?) and the wheels can easily be removed unlike the more common Slaters type bearings.

John

John,

I pushed it up and down the layout tonight.  It was not as free running as I thought it would have been.  The wheel sets have considerable end float, more than in the ex Lionheart Minerals.  However it looks just like the real thing.  I really like the safety rails that are dropped down.  If you climbed into a brake and they were up you could easily hit yourself, usually just above the nose.  Boy did that hurt, but you only did it once.  I did a few miles between Willesden and Lydd CEGB on the flask trains.

I found that when pushing by hand there was binding. Looking underneath I could see that one axle moved to one side and rubbed the brake block. Hopefully in normal running it should be ok. When back home I will try and see where the slack is coming from.

I was speaking with a trade at the weekend. Stated he received 30 of the vans and had to put the wheels back in all but 1. There were also buffers hanging off and couplings missing. Stated he has to check everything coming from Dapol a lot of QA issues

• 2 weeks later...