S7 scratch building

The 72 yo is obviously a grumpy old git whose glass is almost empty, never mind half empty!  The 80yo has the right attitude!  'That's that out the way, now let's get on with life!'  Me?  Stuff how much is in the glass, I want to know how much is left in the bottle!  :D

Onwards and upwards, Mike.

Jim

• Like 4
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, Caley Jim said:

The 72 yo is obviously a grumpy old git whose glass is almost empty, never mind half empty! 

He was probably just plain scared...

15 minutes ago, Caley Jim said:

Me?  Stuff how much is in the glass, I want to know how much is left in the bottle!  :D

... and how many bottles are in the cellar?

• Like 2

On 29/12/2021 at 19:59, airnimal said:

I have glued the end stanchions on and left them to dry for a couple of hours. Then I filed them to shape with a large flat file before finishing them with some abrasive paper on a flat surface.

How did you get the taper to match across all four stanchions?

regards, Graham

• Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'm glad to hear that you are getting out and about, walking and to the pub. Like you, I find my modelling mojo comes and goes (as does my enthusiasm for other things).

There's no point forcing yourself to do any hobby unless you're getting some satisfaction or enjoyment from it.

The sun's come out (well it has here in Urmston) so why not get out for some fresh air instead?

I'll look forward to your wagon activities again when you're feeling more like it.

Mol

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

8 hours ago, airnimal said:

So returning to the last wagon I have decided to have a go at making a drilling jig out of a thin scrap of nickel.

Mike,  a neat approach.  How does the jig shown work for the rivets/bolts securing the corner plate to the end sheeting?  And for the other corner of the side sheeting?

Put another way, how many jigs to complete the corner plates of this wagon?

regards, Graham

Edited by Western Star
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Graham,  I have made another attempt at a drilling jig that was a bit better quality than the first. This also includes a second row of holes for these rivets.  Because the corner plates are 9" wide on both sides the jig will just turned round as per photographs.  I haven't tried using it yet because I have been busy with family matters today.  Hopefully this if it works it may spur me on a bit and get my mojo back. 

20220122_204556.jpg

20220122_204637.jpg

20220122_204703.jpg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Still a couple of weeks away from seeing the surgeon. I am desperate to go out on my bike but without  the clearance I could do more harm than good so I will just have to be patience. 

So with little motivation to do much and the weather pouring lots of liquid from above so preventing a long walk without looking like a trawlerman.

Trying to get my mojo back I looked at my own W-irons with regards springing them. I have used them with just lettering gravity take it course without any springing and they do work that way. I have had several rakes of wagons run successful around layouts and test tracks without any problems.  

But the gentleman who did the drawing for me always intended that they be sprung with a phosphor bronze wire soldered in. I didn't like that the wire was to be soldered in permanently making cleaning and painting difficult. So I came up with the idea to solder a small piece of brass tube to the bottom of the W-iron to locate the phosphor bronze wire that could be removable for painting.  

I have a couple of different ways of bending the wire to get the best result and I prefer the one bent into a Z shape although you will be able to see the wire. Once the wire is blackened it will be less obvious .

20220205_132602.jpg

20220205_135245.jpg

20220205_133030.jpg

20220205_134128.jpg

20220205_133455.jpg

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 7

1 hour ago, airnimal said:

I have a couple of different ways of bending the wire to get the best result and I prefer the one bent into a Z shape....... 

The Z shape will always work best as the lower arm will remain roughly horizontal and so press the axle straight down, rather than working through an arc, in which case it is pressing the bearing slightly against the side of the hornguide.

Jim 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

I had a blood test this morning before I talk to the surgeon next week. I am hoping he says I can travel overseas and get back on my bike. I also went to the dentist as well for the first time in nearly 3 years. Is this the start of the return of normal life ? 

I looked at the GWR van I made a mess of awhile ago and wondered if I should have another go at it. 

There are a couple of drawings in Len Tavender's railway equipment drawings of these vans. One have a wooden solebar and one has a steel underframe. The steel underframe always has an appeal to me and I have a couple of wagons made with them. 

Going to my box of Evergreen plastic section I discovered the that there wasn't a complete match for the size I required. I therefore had to make up the size I needed from different parts. 

So a flat piece of 20 X 188 thou had a couple of pieces of angle glued top and bottom to form the right size channel. On the back the 2 parts of the angle did not meet in the middle, so a infill of 20 X 60 was used before another piece of 20 thou thicken the whole lot up. 

Now I have the basic frame I cannot at this stage glue a floor on top because the outside frame of the van sits on top of this channel section. I will have to make the body first and glue the floor higher up in the body. This makes this van slightly more difficult to make than a normal wooden underframe. 

20220210_114512.jpg

20220210_133946.jpg

20220210_134109.jpg

• Like 16
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium

I'm  totally unsatisfied with my efforts with this attempt at a steel frame.  My library doesn't run to many GWR books and my knowledge even less. Once I posted the first pictures last night I was horrified to look at the thickness on the edge of the angle. Then I measured the thickness to discover it was close to 60 thou. Clearly this is not correct so I made another attempt using 10 thou in place of the 20 thou used previously. This reduced the thickness considerably and was better visually but I am still unhappy with my progress.  I then remembered I still had a moulded plastic spruce for a Coopercraft kit in my bits box which I could compare it with. This when placed along side of my efforts reinforced my opinion that my is undernourished.  I looked at my stock of Evergreen section and I don't have the necessary angle available,  so until I acquire some of the larger size I will have to abandoned this for the time being. I think in this  case my lack of knowledge of the subject and my desire to restore my mojo got the better of me.  A case of fools rush in !

20220210_202059.jpg

20220211_090850.jpg

20220211_091155.jpg

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium

I have been pointed in the direction of some photographs on another web site and some more information.  I keep referring to steel frames when perhaps I should call them iron frames. I don't believe that the Coopercraft mouldings would be suitable to adapt to what I require.  Looking at the photographs of a suitable van and looking at my last effort I don't think it is too far out. I could do with knowing the dimension of the part of iron frame which projects out so I could measure against my own effort. 

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

There's a drawing in Atkins, et al, showing the design of the first version of the Dean/Churchward brake gear. This gives dimension of the frame channels (sole bars and headstocks) as 9" deep, 3" wide. I seem to remember the material is 3/8" thick, but I am at work and don't have the book with me.

NB though this drawing is likely for the later steel frames, since DC brake gear came in around 1902. The dimensions for iron frames might be a bit different.

I hope that's useful -

Nick.

Update: the drawing is on page 71 of the 1986 combined edition of 'A History of GWR Wagons' by A. G. Atkins, W. Beard, D. J. Hyde and R. Tourret. I remembered the details correctly - the solebars are shown as 9" x 3" x 3/8". The drawing doesn't specify the headstock dimensions, but it seems most likely they would be the same.

Edited by magmouse
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Nick, thank you for that information which is very useful because I do not have the Atkins book. I have measured my attempt and it works out at 72 thou wide. According to my conversion chart 3" works out at 68.90 thou which is close enough for me. Incidentally the Coopercraft mouldings work out to about 82 thou wide. So with this new information to me I will carry on and do a little bit more.

20220211_141002.jpg

20220211_141154_001.jpg

20220211_141122_001.jpg

20220211_141554.jpg

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, airnimal said:

So with this new information to me I will carry on and do a little bit more.

Excellent news! Your "totally unsatisfied" is a mere mortal's "pretty damn close, I'm dead chuffed with that!". A pleasure and and inspiration to catch up with your progress all round :) 

All the best,

Schooner

• Like 3
  • Agree 5
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, airnimal said:

Nick, thank you for that information which is very useful because I do not have the Atkins book.

Glad to have helped. I've checked the book and updated my post to confirm I had remembered the dimensions correctly.

As others have said, this thread is a real inspiration. I'm currently building from kits - a Slaters, ex-Coopercraft, 7mm scale GWR 5-plank is currently on the workbench, hence having the underframe dimensions in my head! I have plans for scratchbuilt 1- and 3-plank GWR opens, and an outside framed van, very much motivated by your work here. So thank you!

Also - as you note, the flange on the solebar of the Slaters/Coopercraft kits is too wide, making the solebars look rather heavy. This is a shame given the general quality of the mouldings in these kits, and there seems to be no good reason for it. It's also not an easy fix, I think.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, airnimal said:

Nick, thank you for that information which is very useful because I do not have the Atkins book. I have measured my attempt and it works out at 72 thou wide. According to my conversion chart 3" works out at 68.90 thou which is close enough for me. Incidentally the Coopercraft mouldings work out to about 82 thou wide. So with this new information to me I will carry on and do a little bit more.

20220211_141002.jpg

20220211_141154_001.jpg

20220211_141122_001.jpg

20220211_141554.jpg

Mike. Before you go too far, it's my understanding (from Tavender and elsewhere) that the vans with that style of framing were the early builds –on a wooden underframe. The iron framed wagons had the diagonals the other way round. Sorreee!

Richard

• Thanks 1