S7 scratch building

Michael

there's a simple answer to the neighbour who wants you to do her staircase.  Give her a quotation.  Why  the hell should you be expected to do it for free.

Two possible outcomes; 

it'll be cheaper for her to go to the top dollar builder up the road. 

or

it'll be enough to cover the costs, give you some pocket money, and to ensure your profits are sufficient to pay a top loco builder to build you the loco of your dreams

depends whether you want to do it or not.

good luck

Simon

• Like 5
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Being involuntary conscripted into doing chores, beyond those which you gladly do on behalf of your own family, does seem to be a somewhat presumptuous demand upon your free time.    

• Agree 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Simond said:

Michael

there's a simple answer to the neighbour who wants you to do her staircase.  Give her a quotation.  Why  the hell should you be expected to do it for free. 

The other alternative is when they ask when you'll be free to do it you tell them 'Never. I'm always very expensive.' 

Jim

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Caley Jim said:

The other alternative is when they ask when you'll be free to do it you tell them 'Never. I'm always very expensive.' 

I’ve asked you this before, I think, but I am being very specific about the locality as in my experience Scots are very generous, but are you absolutely certain there isn’t something if the “Fife miser” in your dna…? ;)

I happily do stuff for my immediate neighbours, because we are blessed with the kind of folks who happily do stuff for us and for others, and it’s nice.  

There are other neighbours for whom, as a Northern pal once said “ah wouldn’t cross th’ road t’ piss in ‘is ear if ‘is brain were on fire”.

but I doubt I’d be building a staircase, even for the nice ones…!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Regularity said:

I’ve asked you this before, I think, but I am being very specific about the locality as in my experience Scots are very generous, but are you absolutely certain there isn’t something if the “Fife miser” in your dna…? ;)

It's just  a flippant response I make due to my twisted sense of humour.  If anyone asks if I'm free to do something or go somewhere on a certain day, my response is usually, 'No, I'm very expensive, but I could give you special rates!'  :jester:

Like @Simond, I'm only too happy to help out neighbours.  The elderly lady and her two daughters who live next door handed me in a bottle of wine at the weekend for clearing the snow for them over the winter.  As I said to them, 'It's what neighbours do!'.

Building a staircase (or any other work of that nature) is way outside my abilities however.

Jim

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Painting anything to look like old wood is just the hardest thing. You’ve done really well with this. If anything, I would suggest applying a few more layers of lighter and darker layers of light washes and dry brushing. The times when I feel I have made some progress with this, it’s been by keeping on fiddling around with it, gradually getting less dissatisfied. At some point, the descending curve of patience meets the (very slightly) rising curve of satisfaction, and I stop. I can’t call it a method, but it occasionally produces results that are OK.

Nick.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

I wasn't going to start anything until I had finished all my other wagons but the photograph in the latest LNWR journal featuring a Dia 53 coal wagon is just to good to ignore.  Besides the sun has come out and it feels like spring once again, even the Bluetits are in our bird box. I think this is going to be a long build because of all the other jobs and visiting we have to do. I am sure my better half has many  things that I don't know about pencilled in for me without me knowing. 

So the floor has been marked out with the bottom doors including the counter sunk holes for the fixing bolts. The floor has been cut slightly over long to be trimmed back later. I am struggling to get everything evenly marked out. The plank width on the bottom doors is not as consistent as I would have liked. 

20220315_104406.jpg

20220315_114140.jpg

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Premium

Not a lot happening here. Household chores and car related subjects are at the forefront of life at present. I think this is as far as it's going to go for a few weeks because of life's little jobs that were so straight forward years ago before the internet.  Changing insurance was once a quick visit to a broker that would do the job for you but now it's spend hours on the I-pad. And if you need to phone up to query anything  it's 20 minutes of cr*p music at premium rate. Sorry for the rant !  I have joined the grumpy old man's club. 

Headstock and solebar's fixed but not trimmed to size just yet but the wheels have been installed.  

20220315_163658.jpg

20220316_115007.jpg

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Out yesterday, I came across some old wood on a jetty. With it being well worn I took a couple of photographs to compare it to what I have being trying to achieve with my wagons. I think I don't have enough grey in my models but I am more than happy with the texture.  The last photograph clearly has some newer planks with less grain.

20220321_052446.jpg

20220321_052434.jpg

20220321_052505.jpg

Edited by airnimal
New photographs
  • Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• 2 weeks later...

They are all excellent but I particularly adore the Richard Evans one, which would (cough) look good behind an MS&LR outside framed 0-6-0.

On the question of being conscripted into doing stuff, you may need to go on an assertiveness course. Because overload can lead to issues, and you really do not want to go there. (My personal brand of assertiveness is very simple - I have learned to say 'no' to almost everything.) Life is too short and there are not as many days left as one would like.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...