2ManySpams

• RMweb Premium

No.

Its a trailer job, but I need to fish it out first and see its ok, todays job after bike ride.

Unfortunately I'm definitely working on Friday and the earliest I can probably be with you at the show venue is 7pm.

Phew,

After the 'Mouse-gate' debacle at Spam towers involving Treneglos I've been anxious to inspect the layout. 

post-8734-0-62147000-1487419800_thumb.jpg

No issues found, I've had it all out of the trailer and given it a thorough visual inspection.

I'm looking forward to coming back to this layout at Lincoln show next week, especially after such a lot of time currently being spent on my new project.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Phew,

After the 'Mouse-gate' debacle at Spam towers involving Treneglos I've been anxious to inspect the layout. 

attachicon.gifIMG_3306.jpg

No issues found, I've had it all out of the trailer and given it a thorough visual inspection.

I'm looking forward to coming back to this layout at Lincoln show next week, especially after such a lot of time currently being spent on my new project.

Mouse gate! Amazing what damage the little darlings can do, and where they can get into. Mr Mouse and his friends won't be able to eat anything else though - they were sorted. Animals were harmed in that episode. Very interesting to see which scenic products are edible and how corrosive mouse pee and poo is on NS rail.  

Mouse gate! Amazing what damage the little darlings can do, and where they can get into. Mr Mouse and his friends won't be able to eat anything else though - they were sorted. Animals were harmed in that episode. Very interesting to see which scenic products are edible and how corrosive mouse pee and poo is on NS rail.  

I've not heard of that technique for colouring rail before.

Hopefully not too much damage, it'd be nice to see the old gal out sometime again.

• RMweb Premium

I've not heard of that technique for colouring rail before.

Hopefully not too much damage, it'd be nice to see the old gal out sometime again.

Track is heavily corroded. Clean it off and it comes back...

post-6675-0-41806400-1487700638_thumb.jpeg

Not nice.

• RMweb Premium

I'm sure there was a budgie involved.

If I am to be fair...  back in the day Johns trusty winged friend  (what I like to call his 'poop on the shoulder' companion) was a budgie.  Its his latest flighted chums that feature more parrot like traits (given that they are Parrots - mainly).

Andy

What have you used to ballast the track? and also what have you used to clean the rail? I am assuming that the rail is NS.

S/S; Regarding the ballasting this link http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/28781-treneglos-the-ace-on-the-north-cornwall-railway/page-2 (see post 49) should provide the answer.

It was a mixture of three different packs matched to some photographs in one of Peter Gray's albums, published by Ian Allan and a site visit to Okehampton.  The problem was that the Javis product re-acted to the dilute PVA and so I had to sprinkle it onto neat PVA applied very sparingly between the sleepers with a fine brush.

You'll have to wait for a reply from Chris as to the answer regarding "what he has tried to remove the mouse effluent from the N/S rail".

All the best,

John

• RMweb Premium

What have you used to ballast the track? and also what have you used to clean the rail? I am assuming that the rail is NS.

Yes, NS rail. Various grades of grit sanding blocks (for cleaning brass etch) to remove the major lumps and polish back the surface. This seemed enough initially but the corrosion came back so I then tried a variety of chemicals including shite spirit, IPA, kitchen surface cleaner etc. Corrosion has still returned and has eaten into the rail head. I suspect the rail would need to be replaced to be sure of getting rid of the problem.

Yes, NS rail. Various grades of grit sanding blocks (for cleaning brass etch) to remove the major lumps and polish back the surface. This seemed enough initially but the corrosion came back so I then tried a variety of chemicals including shite spirit, IPA, kitchen surface cleaner etc. Corrosion has still returned and has eaten into the rail head. I suspect the rail would need to be replaced to be sure of getting rid of the problem.

Perhaps this mouse was employed by the 'Great' Western...

• RMweb Premium

S/S; Regarding the ballasting this link http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/28781-treneglos-the-ace-on-the-north-cornwall-railway/page-2 (see post 49) should provide the answer.

It was a mixture of three different packs matched to some photographs in one of Peter Gray's albums, published by Ian Allan and a site visit to Okehampton.  The problem was that the Javis product re-acted to the dilute PVA and so I had to sprinkle it onto neat PVA applied very sparingly between the sleepers with a fine brush.

You'll have to wait for a reply from Chris as to the answer regarding "what he has tried to remove the mouse effluent from the N/S rail".

All the best,

John

Ahh I thought that the corrosion was caused by the ballasting process, not by rodents. Try washing with dilute baking soda, to neutralise the acid.