A forum area specifically and only for recording ideas and progress of individual's challenge entries in accordance with the challenge.

Louville Lane

I haven't posted for a few days, mainly because I've been unhappy with the back arches which will support the platform canopy. The pillars were all slightly different sizes. I bit the bullet and started again.

post-7090-0-44610100-1525372482_thumb.jpg

There was also the problem of how to fix them so they could be moved when I get to the backscene before final fixing. Perhaps you should have started with the backscene and worked forward I hear you say. That way though there was always a possibility of being marked or damaged. Anyway this is the solution I came up with. After building the arches and mortaring and some weathering I strengthened the back with balsa wood allowing brass rods to be glued in.

post-7090-0-19649500-1525372517_thumb.jpg

The arches with brass rod were then place on its base (that too isn't yet fixed permanently)The position of the rods marked and holes drilled and the arches were then placed on top. It worked like a dream.

post-7090-0-12030800-1525372541_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

The arches have been finished and I used a photo of them to try out the idea that I mooted before of having a train in the rest of the station with a background of further arches. The carriages and Western were scaled at about 3.5mm and the arches were at roughly 3mm to try and give some sort of perspective.

post-7090-0-90547100-1525615790_thumb.jpg

post-7090-0-65513100-1525615811_thumb.jpg

And just for Clive a couple of shots of 117 DMU

post-7090-0-18592300-1525615859_thumb.jpg

post-7090-0-80857200-1525615882_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Over the last week I have been fabricating bits for the overall roof of the upper area, that will sit on the back arches. At the moment the trusses are blue-tacked into place to give me some idea of how it will look. Tomorrow I will order some canopy brackets from York Modelmaking. The next job will be to paint everything before finally glueing things together. The trusses and supports are made from various evergreen products.

post-7090-0-62049000-1526227781_thumb.jpg

post-7090-0-52724300-1526227802_thumb.jpg

post-7090-0-63677100-1526227823_thumb.jpg

post-7090-0-76755600-1526227842_thumb.jpg

I quite like the way the shadows fall that I'm almost tempted not to have a roof, but I think I will. It will be a part glazed roof a bit similar to the one I had on the train shed at Kingsbridge Regis.

post-7090-0-62049000-1526227781_thumb.jpg

post-7090-0-52724300-1526227802_thumb.jpg

post-7090-0-63677100-1526227823_thumb.jpg

post-7090-0-76755600-1526227842_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Over the last week I have been fabricating bits for the overall roof of the upper area, that will sit on the back arches. At the moment the trusses are blue-tacked into place to give me some idea of how it will look. Tomorrow I will order some canopy brackets from York Modelmaking. The next job will be to paint everything before finally glueing things together. The trusses and supports are made from various evergreen products.

attachicon.gifcanopy 3.jpg

attachicon.gifcanopy 4.jpg

attachicon.gifcanopy 5.jpg

attachicon.gifcanopy 6.jpg

I quite like the way the shadows fall that I'm almost tempted not to have a roof, but I think I will. It will be a part glazed roof a bit similar to the one I had on the train shed at Kingsbridge Regis.

How about having all the glass removed for safety?

The canopy brackets have arrived and have been glued together, lovely pieces of work. I have also fettled the H girder uprights so that they are all the same height and with the use of a small spirit level the same height as the arch supports. The posts, canopy brackets and roof trusses now need painting before the gluing together and starting on the roof. Could be a couple of weeks yet.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been away for a few days and also had a slight loss of my modelling mojo so nothing has been done for nearly 10 days, but thankfully my mojo decided to return today, looking shame faced for having deserted me, so today I finally glued the arches at the back down, roughly weathered the canopy pillars and painted the platform and the roof trusses. Hopefully over the weekend I'll start on the canopy itself, photos will come later.

• RMweb Gold

I've been away for a few days and also had a slight loss of my modelling mojo so nothing has been done for nearly 10 days, but thankfully my mojo decided to return today, looking shame faced for having deserted me, so today I finally glued the arches at the back down, roughly weathered the canopy pillars and painted the platform and the roof trusses. Hopefully over the weekend I'll start on the canopy itself, photos will come later.

Always tricky when that happens Alan.

Best not push it. I find that a small job which gets finished as you want it put things back on an even keel.

The Lou is looking very nice I must say.

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

An afternoon spent with a successful erection is one to look back on with pride.

Well done, Alan. Looking fab.

Rob.

Thanks Rob, it was something I'd been putting off for a few weeks, but in the end I decided to give it a go and as you said I'm quite proud of this erection, but as you might realise a man of may age can only manage it with a few stays which will give me the chance for some more erections over the coming week.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Rob, it was something I'd been putting off for a few weeks, but in the end I decided to give it a go and as you said I'm quite proud of this erection, but as you might realise a man of may age can only manage it with a few stays which will give me the chance for some more erections over the coming week.

If ever a post required a 'friendly/supportive'... that was it...

Rob

I'm afraid little progress this week, life getting in the way, and there will be none next week as we are going away for a bit. Hopefully when I get back I'll be raring to go.

Is it just me that the closer you get to some sort of conclusion the further away it appears and more things need to be done.

• RMweb Premium

I'm afraid little progress this week, life getting in the way, and there will be none next week as we are going away for a bit. Hopefully when I get back I'll be raring to go.

Is it just me that the closer you get to some sort of conclusion the further away it appears and more things need to be done.

It's the fear of having nothing else left to do and, consequently, having to start a new project.

• 2 weeks later...

Back from my annual attempt to aid the Greek Island economy. Unfortunately caught a heavy cold, so not quite as enjoyable as normal, and landing at Gatwick whilst being unable to. clear the ears as I had a very blocked nose was extremely unpleasant and painful.

Enough of my problems. Started today on the canopy roof. Just the shape cut out at the moment and placed on the trusses. I am thinking of making it removable  so as to be able to get at any stock that might fall off the tracks. I know it is only a straight piece of track and things shouldn't fall off, but if something can happen, you know it will happen sometime down the line.

post-7090-0-87353300-1529417702_thumb.jpg

post-7090-0-34405100-1529417717_thumb.jpg

post-7090-0-69324400-1529417731_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

I have started work on the roof one side finished except for glazing and glazing bars and painting. After that it will be adding details, gutters etc. at the moment it is just placed on the trusses relying on nothing more than gravity.

post-7090-0-50544500-1529953658_thumb.jpg

post-7090-0-60474700-1529953674_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Work is progressing slowly on the glazing due to the fine weather allowing plenty of time on the rivers and Broads on the boat and also watching a few games of the World Cup. one side is two thirds done however and should be finished tomorrow.

I have finished the glazing on one side of the canopy. It needs some touching up and weathering. Now to do the other side and then the joy of joining them up so that it can be removed. As you can see the two halves are not yet joined.

post-7090-0-33391600-1530608646_thumb.jpg

post-7090-0-36028300-1530608663_thumb.jpg

I do like the shadows of the glazing bars in the next photo.

post-7090-0-15156900-1530608735_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

I have finished the glazing on one side of the canopy. It needs some touching up and weathering. Now to do the other side and then the joy of joining them up so that it can be removed. As you can see the two halves are not yet joined.

attachicon.gifglazing 1.jpg

attachicon.gifglazing 2.jpg

I do like the shadows of the glazing bars in the next photo.

attachicon.gifglazing 3.jpg

That's looking really effective and the shadows cast are great.

Just a thought but are the roof trusses fixed?

If not could they be used to fix the roof covering to, this would allow you to lift of the entire roof construction in one go and keep some structural strength to the unit.