A forum area specifically and only for recording ideas and progress of individual's challenge entries in accordance with the challenge.

Louville Lane

You'll be pleased to know that the ferry is still in operation and now rowed by the daughter of the last ferry man.

The new roof has been built, lower than the mock up and running almost to the inside edge of the walls, it does need a little attack of the weathering powders.

post-7090-0-18720700-1533583598_thumb.jpg

post-7090-0-52328400-1533583619_thumb.jpg

and finally D6311 about to leave for its next duty with the Parcels Office in the background

post-7090-0-33878700-1533583714_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

Realised this morning that I'd not put the roof over the loading/unloading bays or the hand rails on the steps (I blame the hot weather addling my one brain cell). All now painted and will be fixed in position when dry followed by photos.

• RMweb Premium

Roof looks better and now in balance with the size of the building.

Just needs some chimneys for those poor old staff during those cold winter months.....

Hi Kevin

If they were working a bit faster and harder then they wouldn't get cold.

Hi Alan

I haven't been clicking on the like buttons as much as I should. Things are coming on very nicely.

I decided to play around on the computer to see what it might look like when finished and fascia, proscenium arch and sides are in place.

post-7090-0-73982300-1533733035_thumb.jpg

Not sure about the colour, I was looking for a pale brown but couldn't find a shade that didn't look like a nappy filler.

• Like 6

I decided to play around on the computer to see what it might look like when finished and fascia, proscenium arch and sides are in place.

attachicon.gifPossible look 2.jpg

Not sure about the colour, I was looking for a pale brown but couldn't find a shade that didn't look like a nappy filler.

Have to say my first impression is that the facia grey is too light. Its too similay to the retaining wall

and flattens the impression. I think a darker grey, or black would separate the surround from the scene

and give the scene more depth.

I do like it, just my immediate reaction.

Of course its yours to play with and decide, and you have a better track record than mine.

All the best, I'm enjoying watching this develop.

I originally painted the profile boards on Little Muddle a mid grey, then changed it to darkish brown.

Neither really work so eventually I repainted it yet again in the time honored finish of matt black and there it has stayed - Wiko's do a very good and reasonably priced one if anyone is interested that is!

In my eyes black just focuses your eyes into the scene beyond and also makes the colours stand out.

Personally I'm not keen on black whether it be matt or gloss, I'm with Iain Rice on this and the more I look at the grey the more I'm drawn to its neutrality. I have played about with different colours on the computer and I don't think any look as good as the grey. I will experiment with different shades of grey, but not fifty and on the computer.

• RMweb Gold

Morning Alan.

I agree about the brown.....!

How about a dark green? Mutton has a Holly green surround.

My other layout, Sheep Lane, is a light violet.......honest.

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Alan

I did try some other colours.

NER Tangerine, a wee bit to colourful for most railway modellers. Pink, worked but not too sure how much of a "modern man" you are.

Light blue, not sky blue but a little darker works.

It either has to be a smack in  your face colour or one that blends in with out noticing.

• RMweb Premium

attachicon.gifPossible look 2.jpg

In these parts, a lot of people use a dark olive green colour (called Rivergum) but a friend of mine uses a pale brown, almost like wet sand, colour which I find very effective and may well use myself.

Oddly the alternative to Grey is a light neutral brown Dulux Soft Truffle comes to mind, one of our bedroom walls is that colour.

post-7090-0-84652400-1533823628_thumb.jpg

Edited to add photo of approximate colour.

Work today on the layout.

Doing the concrete areas around the shed and fuelling base. Unfortunately my camera battery went flat after taking the photos of the unpainted cork cut to size, I'll put them up later.  At the moment the cork has been painted, sprayed with a mixture of grey primer and PlastiKote Old Hessian Chalk finish and is drying in the carriage.

Edited by westerner
  • Like 5

Battery now charged.

Cork trimmed for size and awaiting painting and sticking down.

post-7090-0-97215400-1533844871_thumb.jpg

As mentioned before cork now painted and stuck down. Pointless taking a photo as cork his weighted down so it can't really be seen. I'll take photos of that tomorrow.

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

I must say the truffle looks divine, Darling.........

Sorry Alan. All went a bit Laurence Llewelyn Bowen there for a moment ....Really, it looks okay with cream lettering

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

I must say the truffle looks divine, Darling.........

Sorry Alan. All went a bit Laurence Llewelyn Bowen there for a moment ....Really, it looks okay with cream lettering

Rob.

As long as the cream has a jam undercoat...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I'm always slightly amused and bemused by the names paint manufacturers give to their colours.

There is an excellent Victoria Wood sketch ( which I can't find) where the winner of a name the paint colours competition is asked what name she gave to the grey - "Bandage".

Edited by Stubby47
  • Like 1