A forum area specifically and only for recording ideas and progress of individual's challenge entries in accordance with the challenge.

Louville Lane

I'm wondering whether I dare show these photos on here Of the bodging that has taken place to join the two halves together. The only good thing is that when the right way up and in position none of this will be seen hopefully????

I first had the idea that the trusses from the Dapol platform awning kit (which had given me the pitch for my roof) would be man enough to hold the two halves together.

post-7090-0-46177200-1531141080_thumb.jpg

I had always thought that I would use Gorrilla Tape (other tapes are available) to hinge the halves together. It was after I had done that I had doubts as to the strength of the Dapol trusses with the amount of gluing area. I then spotted the original roof for the engine shed and the pitch looked pretty similar to my roof and when placed inside it was an exact fit, so I had the bright idea of sawing it up and using it for strengthening purposes.

post-7090-0-69056800-1531141371_thumb.jpg

It is a Bodge but when turned up the right way and placed on the layout none of this will be seen.

• Like 3

Almost finished, the top of the ridge has been glued into place. The white line on the peak of the roof. £/32 inch plastic tube with 30 thou brass rod super glued inside to give some rigidity. All it needs now is painting. Some end boards have been cut (on the platform in photo 1) to finish the concourse end off. that will be covered with a glazed roof.

post-7090-0-91445900-1531153550_thumb.jpg

post-7090-0-46795300-1531153572_thumb.jpg

It fits and hasn't yet fallen apart, it has been on and off a couple of times, and I'm pleased to say you can't see the underneath

Edited by westerner
  • Like 6

Now that the canopy is almost finished I've started on butchering kit bashing the Walthers Trackside Post Office into my parcels depot that will butt up to the end of the platform. I'm in the middle of adding the mortar. A coat of BR cream almost immediately wiped off. it produced good mortar lines and also kills the sheen on the Walthers brickwork. When all is well and truly dry this will be gone over with coloured pencils to pick out different shades of brick. Photos will follow sometime over the weekend.

• RMweb Gold

I’ve looked up the kit and it’s just what I need for my parcels depot. Did/will you need to do much to hide the HOness of the doors, and did you buy it in the UK?

Thanks, Paul.

• RMweb Gold

Can I say your mortar looks very white for an area which would have been subject to steam & smoke from coal-fired locos and later from diesel fumes.

The brickwork also looks very clean too.

Very impressed wit the canopy - they are large, unstable items !

Stu

In view of Stu's comment have slightly darkened the parcels office which is now almost finished, although I am thinking of putting a pitched tiled roof on it to make it look more British than American with its skylights. Not sure yet. I wonder what you think? I'll try and do a virtual mock up.

post-7090-0-41779500-1532859094_thumb.jpg

post-7090-0-72113600-1532859110_thumb.jpg

post-7090-0-06391900-1532859133_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

I think that toned-down colour looks much more realistic.  I also think the pitched roof looks better too.  Maybe you could add windows ?

Similar to the last few photos in this post: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/70935-anything-you-can-do-i-can-do-better-robinson-and-downes/?p=3237644

Or even end tower/s: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/70935-anything-you-can-do-i-can-do-better-robinson-and-downes/?p=2997216

• RMweb Premium

A little jiggery-pockery with the computer gave us this impression of a pitched roof.

attachicon.gifParcels with roof 1.jpg

attachicon.gifParcels with roof 2.jpg

That looks much better Alan. I had a niggly feeling that the train shed was overpowering the parcels office but didn't mention it as we have only seen one angle in two dimensions. Now you've mocked it up, though, I'd definitely go for it (and, if possible, something similar for the hotel...).

not much progress on the roof apart from this quick mock up. I think a fraction too high.

post-7090-0-29858800-1533241077_thumb.jpg

post-7090-0-82895400-1533241092_thumb.jpg

There won't be much done this weekend as will be enjoying the good weather for the next couple of days and on Sunday will be going to the Southwold exhibition.

• Like 3

As stated in my last post no modelling, but a pleasant couple of days on the boat on the Norfolk Broads, and todays visit to Southwold, for me not the most interesting as there was a larger number of 0 gauge layouts and the ones that caught my eye (the cameo style ones) Heybridge Wharf 3mm and Foxcote Colliery 2mmfs I had seen before as I had with Gresley Beat (Plenty of times). I did have a chat with Tony Wright, must get to visit Little Bytham again. Still the day was made with a visit to Ms Ts fish and cip shop down by the harbour where my wife and I had superb Haddock and Chips while sitting on the Bank of the River Blythe. All in all a pretty good day.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

As stated in my last post no modelling, but a pleasant couple of days on the boat on the Norfolk Broads, and todays visit to Southwold, for me not the most interesting as there was a larger number of 0 gauge layouts and the ones that caught my eye (the cameo style ones) Heybridge Wharf 3mm and Foxcote Colliery 2mmfs I had seen before as I had with Gresley Beat (Plenty of times). I did have a chat with Tony Wright, must get to visit Little Bytham again. Still the day was made with a visit to Ms Ts fish and cip shop down by the harbour where my wife and I had superb Haddock and Chips while sitting on the Bank of the River Blythe. All in all a pretty good day.

Almost exactly 50 years ago I went on a school camp to Walberswick. One of our excursions was to take the ferry across the Blyth, walk up to the town then back down the old railway trackbed and across the Bailey bridge before turning left and following the river back to camp.

That was the first time I came across the Southwold Railway and it bcame one of my might-but-probably-never-will projects, which has never got further than a wagon chassis to 21 mm gauge using S Scale Society parts - that itself was 35 years ago...

• Like 3