Rapido Trains Inc. announces 1:76 scale Birmingham New Look Bus

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

One other point following on from my recent comments re: routes 48, 49, 50.

If in the end, these Moseley Road routes can't be accommodated on the transfer sheet, because they were worked by the Daimler CVD6s, then would route 1 be an acceptable choice for the Guy Arabs that Rapido's planning to release?

(BTW that route passed Sorrento Hospital where I was born)

• RMweb Premium

One other point following on from my recent comments re: routes 48, 49, 50.

If in the end, these Moseley Road routes can't be accommodated on the transfer sheet, because they were worked by the Daimler CVD6s, then would route 1 be an acceptable choice for the Guy Arabs that Rapido's planning to release?

(BTW that route passed Sorrento Hospital where I was born)

Route 1 should be alright (actually I think it was 1A - anyone confirm?) City to Acocks Green via Moseley. as would the Outer Circle 11, which crosses Alcester Road in King's Heath, as both had buses off Acocks Green garage.

keith

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Route 1 should be alright (actually I think it was 1A - anyone confirm?) City to Acocks Green via Moseley. as would the Outer Circle 11, which crosses Alcester Road in King's Heath, as both had buses off Acocks Green garage.

keith

Yes, it was the 1A Acocks Green via Moseley in my days of catching it from Five Ways to the County Ground for the cricket.

In those days it didn't go to the City centre, coming up the Hagley Road and turning into Calthopre Road to return out to Acocks Green, crossing the West Suburban line at Church Road Tunnel, the Camp Hill line at Moseley Tunnel and the North Warwickshire line south of Spring Road station at Shaftmoor Lane.

I think it was extended to the Town Hall around 1970 and the 'A' was dropped at that time.

• RMweb Premium

Yes, it was the 1A Acocks Green via Moseley in my days of catching it from Five Ways to the County Ground for the cricket.

In those days it didn't go to the City centre, coming up the Hagley Road and turning into Calthopre Road to return out to Acocks Green, crossing the West Suburban line at Church Road Tunnel, the Camp Hill line at Moseley Tunnel and the North Warwickshire line south of Spring Road station at Shaftmoor Lane.

I think it was extended to the Town Hall around 1970 and the 'A' was dropped at that time.

It's back to terminating at Five Ways these days.

Keith

Pictures of the first pulls from the body mould, and a part painted interior are on the Rapido Trains Facebook pages. For the fearful you do not have to be registered with Facebook to view these.

https://www.facebook.com/rapidotrains/photos/a.111655425586997.24923.109954372423769/1680823682003489/?type=3&theater

https://www.facebook.com/rapidotrains/photos/pb.109954372423769.-2207520000.1526554230./1683913831694474/?type=3&theater

• 2 weeks later...

Phil knows just how much I love unboxing videos with their unbridled enthusiasm for caressing cardboard, reading what's on the box bottom and unwrapping tissue/acetate with sweaty palms but I couldn't resist the chance to video a manufacturer unboxing a wayward parcel containing an EP sample of their eagerly awaited model.

Jason now needs to wear a plaster for the next 6 months to not cause any continuity issues.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Can you do a Routemaster next please.

No. No. No.  Done to death.

Something from the '30s that lasted until post war/'50s would be much better.

Keith

Edited by melmerby

• 4 weeks later...

I like those seats. Quite amazing detail for 4mm scale and I can see the reason for the price. The crude-by-comparison die-cast buses were creeping up in price anyway. To my mind, speaking as a one time pro builder of bus kits back in the very early 1970's, the bus market was always spoon-fed and always too cheap. One bus kit manufacturer admitted to me in later years he released his first kits at far too low a price, after which the bus hobby expected low prices from everyone. The actual whitemetal casting and fettling and packing of bus kits eventually delivered little return. 

While the Rapido bus is not an off-the-shelf body design that would lend itself to repainting to numerous other operators liveries, as a Birmingham Corporation bus supplied to Birmingham's specification, it looks to be truly outstanding and I wish it every success. 

Edited by coachmann

Trouble is the EFE "MCW" body is too generic although it looks good.  Anyway I'd put in a bid for a WMPTE Standard 4 bay Park Royal/MCW body which began life as the later style of Birmingham Fleetline in 1969.  No one has made a model of that (although Britbus did a Park Royal-Roe NBC standard 4 bay 1970s body it had too many detail differences to be used as a WMPTE standard) and about 1200 of the things were delivered to the PTE, a lot of which got sold off in 1986 and gained dozens of smaller operator liveries across the country.  Whilst there are minor detail differences between the Park Royal and MCW variants they were remarkably standardised and would make a really good model and a natural follow on from the Birmingham Standard.

• RMweb Gold

Straight back 30 years. Me & the future Mrs Smith used to go into the City Centre on the "Wumpty Bus".

Nice. Mrs Smith is having a chuckle. "Harborne? Couldn't they do a Northfield one?

Chuckle, Chuckle, Chuckle....

Ian.

Edited by tomparryharry

Looking forward to receiving the completed model. For me this bus needs a D9 to go with it. On the one route I used (B82) there was a about a 60/40 chance of either a Birmingham Corporation or Midland Red bus turning up. The D9s were so much smoother and more comfortable; seeing a red bus coming down the road always made for a good start to the day.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Looking forward to receiving the completed model. For me this bus needs a D9 to go with it. On the one route I used (B82) there was a about a 60/40 chance of either a Birmingham Corporation or Midland Red bus turning up. The D9s were so much smoother and more comfortable; seeing a red bus coming down the road always made for a good start to the day.

Wouldn't the B82 have used open fronted Leyland PD2s?

Keith