Ian's 7mm workbench - recent photos

Hal Nail

• RMweb Premium

I've decided to keep the bolster (above) so going to do a bit of work underneath. Am I right in thinking they had two brake cylinders, one in each corresponding position near the brake levers on either side? 

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Hi Ian, Just a belated catch up, and I have  to say, I do like the weathering jobs mate, especially the 16 Tonners, all very nice indeed.:good:

Thank you SIr!

Slightly struggling for motivation at the moment but well aware that relatively I'm very lucky and feel for those like yourself with all this going on when you already have enough on your plate. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Hal Nail said:

Thank you SIr!

Slightly struggling for motivation at the moment but well aware that relatively I'm very lucky and feel for those like yourself with all this going on when you already have enough on your plate. 

Ahh yes, but I look on the bright side, I may have my Layout in bits, but I can still look at places like this for inspiration for once I get settled again.:good:

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Thought I'd better drum up some company....

Oh. And Maud (1419) is on one of its infrequent trips from Cornwall for attention that St Blazey can't handle.

Meanwhile since I had a wash on the go, the 33 has acquired some light grime but will save that till more to show.

989007342_Crew1.jpg.003b20297d1cf892e46d2e1937754f15.jpg731231304_Crew2.jpg.684a7ab65600aa43e95b927205e91257.jpg1763372456_Crew3.jpg.bd8419dcaf6322035afd9aa247457a5b.jpg

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
53 minutes ago, brossard said:

Nice to see those figures.  I would suggest a black or brown wash (Tamiya Panel Lining - very thin enamel wash) on the faces.

John

Yes good idea, I might try that. The photos look totally different to what  the eye sees - natural shadows give a lot more relief in reality!

• RMweb Premium

33 not far off now. Need to number it which isnt my favourite job and there are 4 on these. I did carve off the low relief underside tanks and used some spare class 45 ones which are fixed to the chassis. The underframe needs weathering and the only other modification will be the headcodes which as supplied are labels stuck to the glazing. 20200328_155044.jpg.9618a291b9b051c32378967a8271688e.jpg20200328_120635.jpg.6ade34aec20362db29cc69548e9aa4ce.jpg20200328_154715.jpg.a0eb1c99b22b4b6e2921b5eeb301463a.jpg20200328_154956.jpg.829d620f8442dba9e7c7bad4b0d2c027.jpg

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

A couple more in better light. The other painful job its to replace all the smashed buffer beam pipes. Spares have arrived so will do that today and try not to break them again.

does anyone know was the silencer silver? The always appear a lighter grey even when the rest of the roof was nearly black but not easy to see clearly.

DSC_0030a.jpg.149cd7a467415fbb2c6d9506275b4a31.jpgDSC_0032a.jpg.b113b9b95eda52d770c19ab9ddfede67.jpg

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I've now finished off the E147 B set. I had to take it all apart again for the luggage window bars (CPL) which I forgot to put in originally. I've managed to source some spare W's to finish the numbers - thanks to fellow RMwebbers Fastdax and Gilbert for assisting. Having been sent some Aquitrains which are a little finer, I will use them in future but have stuck with the HMRS ones on this since I'd already started.

This side where I opened up a lot of the windows is more convincing that the other which does still have that flat appearance you can get with brass. For my autocoach from the same source I am going to try and add some depth with a plasticard lining.

DSC_0036a.jpg.f9e9417135a64ca1a4228397ccf81c77.jpgDSC_0038a.jpg.10cece8b18c3f24998bab357b1a0c387.jpg

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

1419 is in St Blazey for repairs. The auto gear is quite nice although the buffer beam jump leads covers are a bit small and I made my own - similarly the various junction boxes for the wires running along the footplate could easily be done.  The Dapol 14XX does includes the gubbins under the coupling (i started with a 58xx which doesn't) but these cast versions are more detailed.

The pipes are Warren Shephard, in the case of the vacuum carefully bent into the stowed position. Fairly rare for these to be loose on auto tanks. 

auto2.jpg.7514ed8296b39e811b007409aa94db3c.jpgauto1.jpg.a7fbf7911f1d19a9e2a40157fa61aef0.jpg

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, brossard said:

Excellent to see this.  My friend has the loco on order, waiting for the sound equipped version to come.  I was trying to convince him to buy this pack.  I must remind him.

Warren Shepherd also does the covers (which might be the right size) and the missing links (!) for a lot less than this pack so if buying his rather nice steam and vacuum pipes, could get them at the same time. 

Edited by Hal Nail

An interesting (and bewildering) array of castings.  Thanks for that, this may come in handy.

My preference for vacuum and steam pipes is Slaters with the flexible spring. 

If the only anomaly is the undersize cover (and I think the one you refer to is #48, Autotrain Electrical Cover) I think I can do as you did and make something out of plasticard. 

What links do you mean, #49 Autotrain Universal Joint?

The reason I am interested is because it will be yours truly doing the work.

John

Edited by brossard

• RMweb Premium

The square "hole" shaped attachment on the right under the buffer beam next to the steam pipe (which is also the loose part on the right of the price in the parts photo).

This connected to a square section rod on the end of the coach and is, I think, the manual link to the regulator (although I've heard tales they often didnt bother with it and the fireman just drove from the loco but thats a different story!)

I made the electrical cover hollow, which is my equivalent of you adding hidden brake detail :)

Edited by Hal Nail

• RMweb Premium

A bit more work with the longer cover over the sanding gear and the smoke box door handles moved round so the inner arm is pointing down (I think these were fixed with only the outer one turning but I might be wrong) and both slightly trimmed back.

The auto link is off for painting so you can see the mounting. 

The chimney looks better in real life so I will probably leave it: replacing it or trying to fill the crack could end up making a mess. I need some thinner wire for the electrical wiring under the drivers side running plate and my rear vacuum pipe isn't tall enough so other than a couple of details to add on the chassis, that's it for the time being.

auto4.jpg.7a95cfc6fd0e634266a8c425e797a10c.jpg

auto3.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

I noticed with my 14xx that Dapol left dimples and slight outlines on the boiler for the top feed attachment.

Since it's the Collector's club edition No 1401, she will be due a repaint in the not too distant future.

By then, DCC Supplies will have the 14 xx spares in, so I'll get a top feed and install it as it will be easier than trying to mess around with the boiler.

I can then renumber her as 1410, whose last shed was Radyr, so neatly fits into my Cardiff themed layout.

• RMweb Premium

That’s very well done Hal. It puts me in mind to similarly prepare for the eventual arrival of my sound fitted example. What is the equipment/linkage under the brake pipe? 

Thanks,

Zach

34 minutes ago, brossard said:

I only just noticed there is no topfeed, yet it is in early BR livery.  Was not the whole class fitted with topfeed prior to nationalization?

I just laboriously retrofitted a 74XX with topfeed.

John

Sorry John but none of the 48xx or 58xx were built with topfeed.  Topfeeds were progressively fitted from 1944 and eventually most, but certainly not all, of the 48/14xx were so fitted.  I don't think any of the 58xx (non auto fitted) ever had topfeeds. 

The boilers were 'pooled' so a 14xx could go into works with a topfeed and come out without one.  For example, in the early 50's the, now preserved, 1450 had a topfeed and 1420 didn't. By the time they were withdrawn 1420 had one and 1450 didn't so one really needs to work from a dated photo when detailing one of these.  Hope this helps.

Ray.

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

I noticed with my 14xx that Dapol left dimples and slight outlines on the boiler for the top feed attachment.

No dimples on mine (you don't mean the washout plugs?) but there are slight mould lines along the boiler. I'm hoping I can avoid a repaint.

12 hours ago, brossard said:

Was not the whole class fitted with topfeed prior to nationalization?

No 1419 never had one and stayed in black till withdrawal in 1961 too. I think there were some others. I had to get the 58xx version to avoid a respray.

Top feeds are a minefield on these  and came and went on locos due to the practice of using a refurbished boiler from store when they were replaced every few years. There's some chat about this on the Dapol thread.

11 hours ago, nsl714 said:

What is the equipment/linkage under the brake pipe? 

Thanks for the compliment!

I dont actually know what this is although I presume also something to do with the regulator control when driven from the coach since that's the only mechanical link I believe. The Dapol 14xx actually has this bit but I bought the unfitted 58xx.

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Marshall5 said:

so one really needs to work from a dated photo when detailing one of these.

I missed this as I was typing!

I found this out the hard way!

I bought a lined green Masterpiece without top feed for my late 50s west country layout* and then found out there wasnt one based there! Paradoxically there were 2 or 3 down there by the mid 60s.

*this doesnt actually exist yet!

Edited by Hal Nail

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, brossard said:

I only just noticed there is no topfeed, yet it is in early BR livery.  Was not the whole class fitted with topfeed prior to nationalization?

I just laboriously retrofitted a 74XX with topfeed.

John

Not necessarily.  

If you trawl google 14 xx loco you can see quite a few 14 xx in BR livery without top feeds. Some tank locos never received them, it just depended on boiler availability. 

For instance 1471 spent most of her life sans top feed only receiving a top fed boiler during her last major overhaul at Caerphilly after the Ely Valley passenger service was discontinued, and prior to her despatch to Exeter in around 1959.

Your conversion of 7400 is undoubtedly correct as although the picture of her in the relevant Pannier Papers shows no top feed in 1939, all the photos of post war engines show top feeds fitted. 

Having typed this out, a number of other answers to your question have arrived!

58xx did receive them as evidenced by this picture of 5815. :

image.png.30d8ff2d61288d28ad41be1a3e67cbda.png

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Marshall5 said:

Sorry John but none of the 48xx or 58xx were built with topfeed.  Topfeeds were progressively fitted from 1944 and eventually most, but certainly not all, of the 48/14xx were so fitted.  I don't think any of the 58xx (non auto fitted) ever had topfeeds. 

The boilers were 'pooled' so a 14xx could go into works with a topfeed and come out without one.  For example, in the early 50's the, now preserved, 1450 had a topfeed and 1420 didn't. By the time they were withdrawn 1420 had one and 1450 didn't so one really needs to work from a dated photo when detailing one of these.  Hope this helps.

Ray.

Thanks for the info.  Obviously one needs to do careful research on any model.

John