The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Anyone Interested in Ships

NorthBrit

• RMweb Premium

On shipowners, there are bad apples in any industry but an awful lot of shipowners are going an awful long way to look after their crews and batting on their behalf.

Similarly, in these times I see a lot of negative comments about open registries yet I am seeing some of the open registries standing full and square behind seafarers and fighting on their behalf. I know one very senior director of one of these directories who has attended a number of ships in person to bang heads together and sort problems out to get crews off ships or address welfare issues.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

You may find this of interest if you have not read of it before. I think this is probably the right topic to post this in as we do not seem to have a "You couldn't make it up" topic.

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/32853/this-venezuelan-patrol-ship-sunk-itself-after-ramming-a-cruise-liner-with-an-reinforced-hull

Edited by Ohmisterporter
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Venezuela is such a tragedy that I am not sure how much worse it could get for people there. An object lesson that with sufficient incompetence what should be a very rich country can be made pretty much destitute. Sad.

• Agree 8

2 hours ago, Ohmisterporter said:

You may find this of interest if you have not read of it before. I think this is probably the right topic to post this in as we do not seem to have a "You couldn't make it up" topic.

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/32853/this-venezuelan-patrol-ship-sunk-itself-after-ramming-a-cruise-liner-with-an-reinforced-hull

We were discussing this here on board earlier. We rather fancy that there was indeed some piracy planned - but it wasn't going to be by the passenger ship...

...but in any case, it's never a good idea to go close across the bows of something much bigger than you...

Mark

Edited by MarkC
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

Venezuela is such a tragedy that I am not sure how much worse it could get for people there. An object lesson that with sufficient incompetence what should be a very rich country can be made pretty much destitute. Sad.

Cf. Zimbabwe.

• Agree 2

The track of RCGS Resolute is visible on Marine Traffic

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/shipid:370230

Compare and contrast:

RCGS Resolute

The 403-foot-long Resolute, which is flagged in Portugal, reportedly had a gross tonnage of around 8,445 tons at the time. The ship was laid down in September 1990 and completed in June 1991. Intended for Antarctic cruises, it has a reinforced ice-capable hull.

Naiguatá

The Naiguatá, which is just over 262 feet long, is a Guaicamacuto class offshore patrol vessel and displaces around 1,720 tons with a full load.

Certainly looks like trying to intefere with a 8,445 tons Antarctic-grade ship with a lighweight 1,720 tons patrol ship was going to have unintended consequences.

Regardless of the exact circumstances, the Venezuelan Navy's attempt to seize the cruise ship has certainly backfired in the immediate term. The Resolute is safely in port and the country has now lost a third of its Guaicamacuto class patrol ship fleet.

Time to rename the class to Guacamole?

Edited by KeithMacdonald
typo fix
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Zimbabwe is another humanitarian tragedy and another example of what happens when government becomes part ideological playground and part cronyism to try and shore up power via political largesse. However I think Venezuela is the much bigger self inflicted disaster, for a country to go through a decade long oil boom which was a windfall of huge proportions for the big Petro-economies and which has the world's largest oil reserves to be in such a mess takes a special kind of incompetence and dare I say, malfeasance. 

• Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 2

Earliest relieving has now gone back to at least 4th May. Further Review promised for 27th April.

Fortunately I have an absolute diamond at home in the form of my wife, who totally understands what's going on and also understands how frustrated the team at our Office are too, having met many of them on several occasions.

I dread to think how my ex would have been - no, belay that, I know EXACTLY how she would have been...and it wouldn't be nice:diablo_mini:

Still at San Juan - they have serious issues with their nice shiny new receiving facility - computer say no...

We'll just keep buggering on...

Mark

• Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, MarkC said:

Earliest relieving has now gone back to at least 4th May. Further Review promised for 27th April.

Fortunately I have an absolute diamond at home in the form of my wife, who totally understands what's going on and also understands how frustrated the team at our Office are too, having met many of them on several occasions.

I dread to think how my ex would have been - no, belay that, I know EXACTLY how she would have been...and it wouldn't be nice:diablo_mini:

Still at San Juan - they have serious issues with their nice shiny new receiving facility - computer say no...

We'll just keep buggering on...

Mark

Even when you did get relieved how will you get back to the uk?

3 hours ago, Kris said:

Even when you did get relieved how will you get back to the uk?

That's one of the reasons why nothing is being looked at for movement before 4/5/20. There are very, very few flights. Our fleet is spread worldwide; those of us further afield will be be last to be changed, I suspect, unless we're lucky enough to be somewhere that restarts suitable flights, but this block ban applies to all our ships, even ones which are 'local'. We are, as I have said, a Dutch Company, flying the Dutch flag in most cases, with many Dutch officers. Even if the ships are in Dutch ports, no changes are happening. The logic here is clear; the biggest risk to us on board is infection being brought onto the ship by someone from shoreside.

The good news is that we are being updated as soon as anything of significance is learnt by the Office, and fortunately we have had no further cases of arguments  across the fleet with shore authorities, about who is, and who is not, allowed on board during this time. Effectively only Pilots (for going in & out of port) and an absolute minimum of shore staff at terminals (the folk who connect up/disconnect the cargo arms/hoses). Even they must wear PPE and are not allowed in the accommodation or machinery spaces. Even Pilots are brought to/from the Bridge via the outside stairs, and not, as usual, through the accommodation and internal stairs.

Mark.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 4

On 04/04/2020 at 15:46, MarkC said:

We were discussing this here on board earlier. We rather fancy that there was indeed some piracy planned - but it wasn't going to be by the passenger ship...

...but in any case, it's never a good idea to go close across the bows of something much bigger than you...

Mark

Hull interaction?

Boundary layers?

23 minutes ago, drmditch said:

Hull interaction?

Boundary layers?

Get it wrong - or you lose power - you tend to lose :D

Hull interaction is a common cause of collisions though, particularly in narrow waterways. Not everyone understands the physics involved...

Mark

• Agree 3

35 minutes ago, MarkC said:

Hull interaction is a common cause of collisions though, particularly in narrow waterways. Not everyone understands the physics involved...

Mark

Having helmed a few hours of close navigation (YAG's, I wasn't doing it on HMCS Protecteur  during a RAS !), and having watched a few hours more (on PRO, as bow thruster operator/ER bridge communicator), we only had one side on meeting in my time, and as helm, I knew it was going to happen for ~30 seconds before it happened.  We got 10 boat too close to 314, and together they came.  Not a huge issue- off throttles, let the boats slow down and separate on their own.  

I wasn't onboard for PRO's end on meeting with HMCS Algonquin.  Again, I understand it was quite apparent from PRO's standpoint what was going to happen before it did...

I also have heard that when HMCS Kootenay had it's nose job ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMCS_Kootenay_(DDE_258) ) that the words of the fog chaser were " Sh!t  ! Ship !  SHIP ! as he ran over the breakwater...not in that case, one of the physics of hull interaction in the sense of water...it was much like the above "incident", and that was an "ice hardened" warship built to the old school way of ship building.

James

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, MarkC said:

Don't rush to come home - you're more in danger of going cabin crazy here than you are there!

Kev.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, SHMD said:

Don't rush to come home - you're more in danger of going cabin crazy here than you are there!

Kev.

A week or so ago there was something on the BBC about advice on isolation from the RN submarine service, an interview with a captain of one of the boats.

I thought it was an ill-considered comparison, partly because there is a huge element of self selection among seafarers in general and especially submariners and partly because it's not actually that restrictive at sea.

Seafarers, whether mercantile or military, have elected to pursue a career at sea and after some initial wastage during the first couple of trips away which identifies those just not cut out for the life the idea of spending a lot of time away from home is something people live with (I had the conversations in my career where I gently suggested that if people really were so unhappy at sea they perhaps needed to re-think whether it was the right career choice). And although it's not the same today as the days when a ship was like a floating village with quite an active social life on-board (although military ships still have big crews) there is nevertheless still interaction with others and people have adapted to a way of life where they spend a long time away in the company of a handful of others. Even when I was on offshore vessels working 6 hour watches there was still social interaction. OK you are stuck on a boat at sea but you can go for a walk around the deck, and you're not stuck in a cabin. And importantly, seafarers know when they join a ship and when they expect to leave (notwithstanding extensions like the current situation).

People at home in the COVID crisis have not in general had the preparation of those occupations that necessitate time away from the normal world in relative isolation, have never elected to pursue such a life and have no idea when it will end. That said, there was one individual in P&OCL who was notorious for feeling sorry for himself for being away at sea who'd been doing it for years and is probably still at sea (assuming any company wants to employ him). 

• Like 1
  • Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, MarkC said:

Mark

I was on a big box boat where the Suez boatmen were delayed in leaving and were dropped and let go as the ship was accelerating and they were dragged under the stern and ended up in a (hopefully) better place not on this earth. Not nice, and a monumental b*lls up all around. As a sign of how things are it was quietly dealt with by the company and the Egyptian authorities, and somehow I suspect the families of the dead received a miniscule fraction of the agreed compensation.

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold

I heard that BBC interview and thought it was superficial as in...

Journalists - Everyone's isolating now. Let's do a story on it. I know, lets interview some people who are really isolated...

I expect they only thought of submariners after finding out there are no light house keepers around anymore!

Kev.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1

21 minutes ago, jjb1970 said:

I was on a big box boat where the Suez boatmen were delayed in leaving and were dropped and let go as the ship was accelerating and they were dragged under the stern and ended up in a (hopefully) better place not on this earth. Not nice, and a monumental b*lls up all around. As a sign of how things are it was quietly dealt with by the company and the Egyptian authorities, and somehow I suspect the families of the dead received a miniscule fraction of the agreed compensation.

Ooh, that's bad. Really bad.

I haven't seen a 'slice and dice' like that; however I did once witness a bunch of our nice friendly :D Suez gang waiting to disembark at Suez. They were told - only one at a time on the bottom platform of the gangway. They didn't listen - 4 of them (fortunately the last 4) crowded onto the platform, which then did its impression of Mr Pierrepoint's trapdoor and deposited the lot in the 'oggin. A quick application of helm to take the stern away from them - and a check that 4 heads could be seen, with their boat manoeuvring to pick them up - we went to Full Ahead and got the hell out of Dodge. Funnily, apparently there was a radio failure on the bridge just at that moment. A coincidence, I'm sure :P

Poetic justice really - those 4 had been a PITA all the way through the Canal. They weren't officially there either; just blagged their way on board at Port Said to get a ride home and try their luck at getting fed and watered. Nothing was ever said...

Mark

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I knew a lot of seafarers who claimed the reason their marriages worked so well was that they and their wives had plenty of time away from each other. It's actually not a daft idea.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

I read somewhere this week that CMA CGM are sending box boats round the Cape in preference to Suez. I never thought I would see that short of the canal being closed. 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, jjb1970 said:

I read somewhere this week that CMA CGM are sending box boats round the Cape in preference to Suez. I never thought I would see that short of the canal being closed. 

Down to lower fuel costs? 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3