The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Anyone Interested in Ships

NorthBrit

• RMweb Premium
On 31/05/2020 at 17:59, MarkC said:

I've never sailed on a steamship - ie one that uses steam for propulsion - but I have served in 2 Product Tankers which had steam plant bigger than some old time ocean going cargo steamships, for powering the cargo pumps via Stal Laval turbines. Superheated steam, 4 burner front fired Foster Wheeler watertube boiler, big steam sootblowers, the works. Scary stuff when everything running at full power.

<Seacocks> - grr...

Snip<

Mark

Similar experience - our Yorkshire 113,000 dwt crude carrier had Sulzer 8RND90 (that Barclay Curle rough one!) power also two Kawasaki Wallsend (!) watertube boliers at 32 bar, 4 cargo pump turbines I don't recall the make of but were troublesome, and of course no extra engineers to run and maintain it all...hmm.  It was by far the worst ship I sailed on, so I had two trips on her, grumble moan.  It brought noting but grief, and the last was 4 months of hell, bad group of officers, lot of dispute and hassle, with an unreliable heap of.....of a ship. 

4 months to the day I did not set foot off her, as every second alongside was spent on nailing things back together, and to top it all on my birthday I was duty engineer (UMS) and the Second wouldn't let anyone swap to give me the night off which sums things up, she did no1 liner at full sea speed.  40 hours non stop to change it.  Man I hated that ship.

Seacocks? Only in stories.  But if the Yorkshire had them, I would have opened them as I paid off!

29196359_10215218089109237_7918756191478480896_n.jpg.85a710f82d93043e8995db17748c6242.jpg

Yorkshire3-1975.jpg.0208d9bf3fb1d4f64b7a77eaf65a139a.jpg

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Well, that news release allowing ships crews to be exempt from local quarantine rules when heading home? That's apparently still OK, but it seemingly does NOT apply to those coming out to relieve us. As there are no direct flights as yet to places where we can realistically do crew changes - the ship is part of what is effectively a "Just in time" fuel supply chain for a power station, and so we can't realistically be 'off station' for too long ourselves - as things stand, our only option for getting the new crew out would involve them having an overnight stop on the way, due to a poor flight connection. And...the authorities there are insisting on a 14 day compulsory (and enforced) quarantine there - at employers' expense - before allowing onward travel. The cost is one thing, but that's another 14 days on board to have to get through. This is getting beyond stupid now - and all we can do is wait & see if common sense will break out...

Oh, and one of our crew hits a year on board in a week's time too...

Cheers all

Mark

• Friendly/supportive 10

20 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

Similar experience - our Yorkshire 113,000 dwt crude carrier had Sulzer 8RND90 (that Barclay Curle rough one!) power also two Kawasaki Wallsend (!) watertube boliers at 32 bar, 4 cargo pump turbines I don't recall the make of but were troublesome, and of course no extra engineers to run and maintain it all...hmm.  It was by far the worst ship I sailed on, so I had two trips on her, grumble moan.  It brought noting but grief, and the last was 4 months of hell, bad group of officers, lot of dispute and hassle, with an unreliable heap of.....of a ship. 

4 months to the day I did not set foot off her, as every second alongside was spent on nailing things back together, and to top it all on my birthday I was duty engineer (UMS) and the Second wouldn't let anyone swap to give me the night off which sums things up, she did no1 liner at full sea speed.  40 hours non stop to change it.  Man I hated that ship.

Seacocks? Only in stories.  But if the Yorkshire had them, I would have opened them as I paid off!

29196359_10215218089109237_7918756191478480896_n.jpg.85a710f82d93043e8995db17748c6242.jpg

Yorkshire3-1975.jpg.0208d9bf3fb1d4f64b7a77eaf65a139a.jpg

I heard some horror stories in the past about the Yorkshire, Neil. Sounds like another of those ships to avoid if possible...

As for your Second - yes, well, I'm sure that we all sailed with such people at one time. I certainly did. That sort of attitude is one which I  swore back then, as a junior officer, that I would not adopt, were I to be fortunate enough to attain senior rank - and I hope that I never have done.

Mark

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

It is "an aid to navigation, and is to be used with other aids to navigation in conjunction with sound judgement" to determine your position :).

I blame it all on the filipino monkey...(for those of you who have been to the gulf, you know exactly who I mean...)

Good thing I'm not a bridge watchkeeper :)

James

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

'Mr Christian, what is our course and position'

'We're on the poop deck, Captain, and we're going that way'

'Why have you taken the sails down, Mr Christian'

'They were dry, sir'

'How long have you been aboard this ship, Mr Christian'

'2 years before the mast, sir'

'Nonsense, Mr Christian, the mast's always been there'

• Like 1

14 hours ago, peach james said:

It is "an aid to navigation, and is to be used with other aids to navigation in conjunction with sound judgement" to determine your position :).

I blame it all on the filipino monkey...(for those of you who have been to the gulf, you know exactly who I mean...)

Good thing I'm not a bridge watchkeeper :)

James

A story for you - I may have told it before. Apologies if so.

August 1999 - and a GPS rollover was imminent. We had been warned that it was possible that our sets wouldn't handle this. We were trading in West Africa, and had just left Dakar, bound for Point Noire (I know, I know - great ports... ).

We had just seen our British & Sri Lankan Officers replaced with Eastern Europeans; only the Master and Chief Engineers remained British.

The Old Man and I had discussed an exercise where we would lose GPS access; I said that I could pull the fuses on all the sets to disable them. Great idea, says the Old Man, so I did.

No calls from the Bridge from the 2nd Mate to say that he'd lost GPS. Hmm...

A couple of hours later, the Old Man comes to see me, shaking his head. He'd just come off the bridge, where on asking the 2nd Mate if all was well, he was told that the GPS had stopped working, but it was OK, because he knew exactly where we were...

Great, says the OM - have you taken sights, or cross bearings from any visible land? Oh no sir, says the 2/O - I just called up the ship a few miles away from us and asked him for his position...

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
45 minutes ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

37357.jpg  37359.jpg

IMG_9005.JPG.d0087dd041856357e03e7b137f5598fa.JPG

As someone who isn't an expert on ships, I'd like to say:

Oops.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

Super Servant 4 

A heavy lift vessel.

super-servant-4_8025343_218995_Medium.jp

SwgJ_VpVYJuKghDzoo7lhUSDX7XuOqaTfZvu71S3 KSi4WdpKu28ptKmd0TpVz4KUeeWVa35vNTJOXGfC32ac1b5944311141ca40bc401fefad44--a-ship

Palma de Mallorca this morning (Monday 9th June).......

37357.jpg  37359.jpg

Somebody has had, as the saying goes, carnal knowledge of the dog, I think...

There will be a 'deep and meaningful discussion' with management - sans tea and biscuits - for that someone...

...and I hope the insurance premiums are up to date...

Edited by MarkC
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, MarkC said:

Somebody has had, as the saying goes, carnal knowledge of the dog, I think...

There will be a 'deep and meaningful discussion' with management - sans tea and biscuits - for that someone...

...and I hope the insurance premiums are up to date...

Reports say it was caused by an "electrical failure" of the ballast pumping control system.

37375.jpg

37369.jpg

• Informative/Useful 2

Shipping on a smaller scale:

Lineas announces barge replacement train services

To facilitate a shift of freight from barge to rail at a time when water levels in the River Rhein are at their lowest in five years, Lineas is to increase its services and capacity on the corridor over the summer period from June 15...

https://www.railwaygazette.com/freight/lineas-announces-barge-replacement-train-services/56694.article

14 hours ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

Super Servant 4 

A heavy lift vessel.

super-servant-4_8025343_218995_Medium.jp

SwgJ_VpVYJuKghDzoo7lhUSDX7XuOqaTfZvu71S3 KSi4WdpKu28ptKmd0TpVz4KUeeWVa35vNTJOXGfC32ac1b5944311141ca40bc401fefad44--a-ship

Palma de Mallorca this morning (Monday 9th June).......

37357.jpg  37359.jpg

"Go on, son; open the valve"

"Which valve, chief?"

"Any F*****g valve1"

• Funny 1

If quoting from previous posts, it’s probably not a good idea to include any photos in the quote, if they’re not relevant or essential.
The photos have already been displayed once and in most cases, don’t need repeating.
I understand this “bad practice”, gobbles up the forum’s data capacity.

It’s very easy to edit replies before posting to remove unnecessary reposting of photos.

Maybe the Mods can comment on this?

Edited by Ron Ron Ron
  • Like 1
  • Agree 6

Ah yes, the old "Just push the button and away it goes" routine...

What happened to good seamanship - monitoring the operation, knowing what steps to take if it starts going wrong (no, 'chuffing big ones' is NOT the correct answer, Carruthers) and generally being aware?

*sighs*

• Agree 2
  • Funny 2

Certainly, while I only ever owned fuel tanks...I'd be on the carpet if we got to 3 degrees without doing something active, and probably at 1 degree...  liquid cargo belonged to the nav arc and the ht's, but I have some understanding !

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On 09/06/2020 at 10:07, Ron Ron Ron said:

If quoting from previous posts, it’s probably not a good idea to include any photos in the quote, if they’re not relevant or essential.
The photos have already been displayed once and in most cases, don’t need repeating.
I understand this “bad practice”, gobbles up the forum’s data capacity.

It’s very easy to edit replies before posting to remove unnecessary reposting of photos.

Maybe the Mods can comment on this?

The one useful thing which comes out of this, if it gives wider circulation, is that it shows how some so called 'super yachts' really make their moves between the Med and other sunny places such as the West Indies.  And that they are not quite so 'super' when it comes to longer distance voyages.

Here's the website and the opening blurb on the first page makes rather amusing reading in the light of this incident -

https://www.yacht-transport.com/yacht-carriers/super-servant-4/

The vessel's recent movements; you will note that she is currently 'moored' -

ss4.jpg.d02dbf604969ec056dd635ef4352ebbf.jpg

• Informative/Useful 2