The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Anyone Interested in Ships

NorthBrit

Regarding Fergusons:-

I was Chief Engineer on several occasions in Gibsons' LPG tanker "Traquair", built 1982 under the overall title of 'British Shipbuilders'. The forward section was built by Fergusons, Port Glasgow; the aft section by Ailsa of Troon. The two halves were of slightly different dimensions across the beam! You could see the slight 'step' in the shell plating where the two halves had been joined. From memory, it was about 1/2" on each side...

She only went for scrap in mid-2017 - a service life of 35 years.

Mark

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

15 hours ago, johnofwessex said:

I have seen a photo of a Barry Railway steamer heading for Ilfracombe in a storm with a capacity crowd on deck - in a gale.

They were hardy souls in those days

Is it just me wondering if they were all on deck for a very specific reason?

It reminds me of the Condor Ferries high-speed service (Portsmouth -- Channel Islands). Not for nothing is it known as the "Vomit Comet".

https://www.condorferries.co.uk/ships-onboard/our-fleet

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, KeithMacdonald said:

Most of the traditional excursion steamers had massive passenger certificates which defy belief these days, however to literally fit them on and meet the regulations most of the passenger certificate was based on open deck space. If the decks were full then that meant it was rammed below - below decks usually being where the bar and restaurant were, and of course the boilers and machinery would take up about half the available space.

Waverley had a passenger certificate for nearly 1500 back in the day, but you'd be lucky if you could fit 400 under cover.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

17 hours ago, johnofwessex said:

They were hardy souls in those days

Perhaps not.  :smile_mini2: The well known Victorian postcard, "To the Scillies".

Scilly-SickSm.jpg.e4d10144cd1d1db4fd2962952b029543.jpg

All the Scillonian's (Ships not residents)I have known, soon pick up the nick name "Sick Bucket".

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

1 minute ago, Porcy Mane said:

Perhaps not.  :smile_mini2: The well known Victorian postcard, "To the Scillies".

Scilly-SickSm.jpg.e4d10144cd1d1db4fd2962952b029543.jpg

All the Scillonian's (Ships not residents)I have known, soon pick up the nick name "Sick Bucket".

That doesn't look like the lee rail, if these folk are about to have ye olde 'technicolour yawn'...

...almost guaranteed to 'get your own back', as it were... :P:P

Mark

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

2 hours ago, KeithMacdonald said:

It reminds me of the Condor Ferries high-speed service (Portsmouth -- Channel Islands). Not for nothing is it known as the "Vomit Comet".

https://www.condorferries.co.uk/ships-onboard/our-fleet

Interesting looking at the drone clips of the 2 fast ferries, one has an open top front to the car deck, ok high up, but still.........

the other appears to be well away from the dock & the vehicle loading ramps are not fully raised.

6 minutes ago, duncan said:

Interesting looking at the drone clips of the 2 fast ferries, one has an open top front to the car deck, ok high up, but still.........

the other appears to be well away from the dock & the vehicle loading ramps are not fully raised.

Careful now!

Before anyone jumps in and says "Herald of Free Enterprise", please remember the HoFE was sunk with the bow doors open. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MS_Herald_of_Free_Enterprise

The Condor Rapide is departing with stern doors open.

56 minutes ago, Porcy Mane said:

All the Scillonian's (Ships not residents) I have known, soon pick up the nick name "Sick Bucket".

Yes, for a very good reason, they were shallow-draft boats. All the better to moor close inshore or on a shelving beach. As for being "sea-kindly" with a deep keel, forget it! :bo_mini:

Scillonian III has a length of 68 m, a beam of 11.85 m, a draft of 2.89 m, a gross tonnage of 1255.25, and a service speed of 15.15 knots (28.06 km/h). Due to the number of tidal currents which meet off Land's End, and the need for a shallow draught to allow access to the Islands, the sea journey can be rough, causing sea sickness. For this reason the ship is fitted with a "Flume" antiroll stabiliser system. The ship is also designed to have a shallow draft and can sit on the seabed when there is insufficient water.

But she's done well for a 40 year old boat. :good_mini:

During the winter of 2012–13 the ship underwent a £2 million overhaul which refurbished the passenger accommodation and also extended the ship's service life to 2018. The ship's 40th anniversary was in May 2017 and during that time she has made more than 9,000 return journeys, travelled more than 648,000 nautical miles (1,200,000 km) and carried more than 1,458,000 passengers.

Ref : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RMV_Scillonian_III

• Informative/Useful 1

19 minutes ago, KeithMacdonald said:

Yes, for a very good reason, they were shallow-draft boats. All the better to moor close inshore or on a shelving beach. As for being "sea-kindly" with a deep keel, forget it!

Sailed on her & her predecessors bucket loads and count myself lucky never to have filled an ash tray once... but I could tell a few stories and I should never say never.

For flatties all the Scillonian's have done well even though my favourite (Scillonian II) came to a rather ignominious end in Bulgaria.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, KeithMacdonald said:

Sub-Lieutenant Phillips

Don't think so but he might have been the terror that never gave way to sail and had a reputation for scattering all the PZ sailing club mirrors almost every summer evening.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

6 hours ago, Porcy Mane said:

Sailed on her & her predecessors bucket loads and count myself lucky never to have filled an ash tray once... but I could tell a few stories and I should never say never.

For flatties all the Scillonian's have done well even though my favourite (Scillonian II) came to a rather ignominious end in Bulgaria.

I was Deckie for one trip on Scillonian II, her last one as a Campbells ship from the City Docks to Avonmouth

The view over the bow wasnt great and we ended up knocking a hole in the bullnose round Prince Street Bridge and dented the end of the bridge, all captured on Points West with me gesticulating to the bridge

• Funny 2

7 hours ago, MarkC said:

When you gotta go, you gotta go...

Watched someone do that on The Balmoral off Lynmouth.  I wont say it was a good day but the mate had been on the wheel all the way from Bristol.

Plastered the wheelhouse and you could see the Old Man (Jack Wide?) peering out through the opening cleared by the windscreen wiper 

• Funny 2

56 minutes ago, johnofwessex said:

The view over the bow wasnt great and we ended up knocking a hole in the bullnose round Prince Street Bridge and dented the end of the bridge, all captured on Points West with me gesticulating to the bridge

So it was you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, johnofwessex said:

I was Deckie for one trip on Scillonian II, her last one as a Campbells ship from the City Docks to Avonmouth

Aha! Do we at long last know why the swing bridge doesn't swing any more? :good_mini:

And perhaps why we started drinking at the Ostrich instead of the Llandoger Trow or the Old Vic.  Oh no, that was something else :maninlove:

... does the Ostrich still have that skeleton in the back corner?