Woolmer Green 1935-40

Jesse Sim

9 hours ago, Jesse Sim said:

Cheers Tony, The roof will come off, so I think I’ll have a go at the glazing and I will also do the safety rails. 

The verandah doesn’t go all the way round, does that matter? 

Good morning Jesse,

'The verandah doesn’t go all the way round, does that matter?'

Not if there are no windows in the back wall. It's only there in order that windows can be cleaned. 

Regards,

Tony. 

The real problem seems to be that the front walkway does not connect with walkway from the cabin door.So how are the front windows accessed for cleaning? Through an open window perhaps?

• Agree 1

Perhaps by means of the traditional rickety ladder, found lurking somewhere in so many pictures of workshops, coal drops and goods yards in the era before the elf n safety Gestapo wouldn't let anybody get a job done at reasonable speed and cost? You know, the kind of thing looking like several lengths of firewood nailed together into the approximate shape of a ladder.....

Edited by gr.king
  • Like 3
  • Funny 5

2 hours ago, gr.king said:

Perhaps by means of the traditional rickety ladder, found lurking somewhere in so many pictures of workshops, coal drops and goods yards in the era before the elf n safety Gestapo wouldn't let anybody get a job done at reasonable speed and cost? You know, the kind of thing looking like several length of firewood nailed together into the approximate shape of a ladder.....

You wouldn’t happen to have a picture of said hunk of wood for research? 

My order from DJH arrived today, so I started on the refurbishment of a J10 I got off ebay for 50 AUD, BARGAIN! New wheels and motor and she’s ready to role, hopefully finish her off tomorrow. 

I also got some wire from the local hobby store and I’ll have a go at some handrails around the signal box, or I might sit on my backside all weekend and do b***er all. Considering it’s a long weekend I might get all of the above done! 

FEE2394E-B835-45D9-8F7D-56E130385C72.jpeg

Edited by Jesse Sim
  • Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
On 08/04/2020 at 10:05, gr.king said:

Perhaps by means of the traditional rickety ladder, found lurking somewhere in so many pictures of workshops, coal drops and goods yards in the era before the elf n safety Gestapo wouldn't let anybody get a job done at reasonable speed and cost? You know, the kind of thing looking like several lengths of firewood nailed together into the approximate shape of a ladder.....

On the GER line when privatisation took hold the gang that use to paint the stations were passed on to a private company. The new company replaced all their rickety wooden ladders with brand new aluminum ones.....for working where there was overhead line equipment.  Thumbs up for elf n safety Gestapo.

• Funny 7

• RMweb Gold

A made up DJH J10 went for £205.00 night before last. It wasn't particularly well made either - your's looks much better. For 50 AUD you got yourself a complete bargain! Well done and look forward to seeing it finished.

Alastair M

Edited by A Murphy
  • Agree 2

6 hours ago, Jesse Sim said:

My order from DJH arrived today, so I started on the refurbishment of a J10 I got off ebay for 50 AUD, BARGAIN! New wheels and motor and she’s ready to role, hopefully finish her off tomorrow. 

I also got some wire from the local hobby store and I’ll have a go at some handrails around the signal box, or I might sit on my backside all weekend and do all. Considering it’s a long weekend I might get all of the above done! 

FEE2394E-B835-45D9-8F7D-56E130385C72.jpeg

Don't forget to anchor the gearbox with a bit of 'Z'-shaped wire, Jesse.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Don't forget to anchor the gearbox with a bit of 'Z'-shaped wire, Jesse.

Regards,

Tony. 

I won’t my master, I could feel the whip in hand through the comment Tony! 

I just woke up, so a coffee and a fag and I’ll be in the train room rockin ‘n’ rollin

• Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

9 hours ago, A Murphy said:

A made up DJH J10 went for £205.00 night before last. It wasn't particularly well made either - your's looks much better. For 50 AUD you got yourself a complete bargain! Well done and look forward to seeing it finished.

Alastair M

I think it might be glued together, but I didn’t build it, so it doesn’t annoy me, maybe in life when I have a few more years under my belt I’ll pull it apart and solder it together. But for now, she’ll do. 

When I accidentally won the bid for it, the advertisement said it wasn’t running properly. The motor worked, but it wasn’t driving the wheels. A quick email with Sir (Tony) and I was told that the motor wouldn’t be suitable for DCC and I also found the wheels weren’t isolated, So I ordered them from DJH. When I took it apart last night, the driving axle didn’t have a notch filed out of it for the grub screw to grab......I think that might have been the main issue as to why it wasn’t running. 

it runs beautifully now with just alligator clips connected to the motor, which is a start!  

• Like 5

You're probably going to hate me Jesse - but if you raised the mounting point by 100mm, then if your roof leaks, the water will flow down to the front, and away, not pond and flood the stock...

1 hour ago, jukebox said:

You're probably going to hate me Jesse - but if you raised the mounting point by 100mm, then if your roof leaks, the water will flow down to the front, and away, not pond and flood the stock...

Fingers crossed the roof doesn’t leak, but I’d rather it pool in the middle then the stock get wet or it run down to all the wires

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

What a brilliant idea!

Regards to you both,

Tony. 

That’s what I thought, I’ll happily help you do it to LB if you like next time over. All in all it cost me 125 AUD, so about 60-70 quid. 

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, DougN said:

You obviously have been to IKEA! I put up 2 blind which are similar last night for No1 daughter... 

I spent Monday afternoon putting up four shelves purchased from that very emporium.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, jukebox said:

I'd hate you too if you posted that after I had gone to all that effort.

Having said that I think you are probably right.

• Funny 1