'Main line' company locos sold into industrial or light railway service

Captain Kernow

I am not at home at the moment, so can't consult my copy, but I'm pretty sure the Chronicles of Bolton's Siding mentions several old mainline Bury's that were sold into industrial use after Issac Bolton had tarted them up.

• RMweb Premium

Just been browsing in Frank Jones's book and come across an interesting example of a machine not commonly included among ranks of preserved ex-GWR locos http://www.brc-stockbook.co.uk/6515.htm - but it is.

Delivered new to the GWR, it was taken into stock as their No. 12 on 1 October 1926. Fitted with equipment for working train vacuum brakes and steam heating, it was based at Swindon for use on the Malmesbury branch, and then sent to work at Brentford Goods Yard. These trials were not successful and the loco was taken out of stock in December 1926, being returned to Sentinel the following month.

Modifications were carried out in 1927, including the fitting of a larger boiler, which enabled further trials, including passenger working, to take place on the Shropshire & Montgomeryshire Railway during the latter part of the year. The loco then returned to the GWR where more trials were undertaken on the Malmesbury Branch on 2 October 1927. During these trials a speed of 38 mph was attained, hauling a train of three four-wheel coaches, taking just 16½ minutes to cover the 6½ miles from Malmesbury to Dauntsey.

Edited by Andy Kirkham

• RMweb Gold

On seeing this topic I remembered that several ex Barry Railway locos were sold to industry, mainly collieries, by the GWR. I decided to refer to the RCTS part 10 to find out how many, the results were surprising.

Class                Sold           Built        Last in service

A 0-6-0T            3                 5            1(699)  1962

B 0-6-2T            1                25          27(227) 1960

B1 0-6-2T          2                42          60(251)  1957

E 0-6-0T            3                 5           33(781)  1960

F 0-6-0ST         22               28          138(780)  1964

What a shame that none of them made it to preservation.

Brian Hunt

How far back are we going? The Liverpool & Manchester Railway sold many engines into private hands:

No 1 Rocket - Kirkhouse Collieries 1836

No 5 Comet - Rocket class - Sold to W McKenzie 1832.

No 8 North Star - Rocket class - Sold to W McKenzie 1832.

No 15 Goliah (correct spelling) - Modified Planet class - Sold to S Ellis 1835.

No 20 Etna - Planet Class - Sold to Guest, Lewis & Co. 1835

No 26 Liver - Bury 2-2-0 - Sold to Mullins & McMahon 1837 for £700for use on the NUR.

No 57 Lion - Todd, Kitson Laird 0-4-2 - Sold to Mersey Docks and Harbour Co. in 1859 and used as a stationary pump. Worked as such until 1928

Several other locos were sold to other railways, e.g. Bolton & Leigh, St Helens & Runcorn Gap, and Chester and Holyhead.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Here are the four models I have of ex-mainline locos. Does anyone have any more?

7754 - NCB (This is a Bachmann model but I have seen quite a few people repaint the GWR one)

post-898-0-20561500-1509046410_thumb.jpg

47445 - William Pepper

post-898-0-81530700-1509046414_thumb.jpg

3650 - Stephenson Clarke

post-898-0-04948900-1509046419_thumb.jpg

L97 - London Transport

post-898-0-10505200-1509046423_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Besides locos sold into industrial use it was common to hire out to cover the absence of works locos. There are pictures of an L&Y Pug deputising for a Mitchells and Butlers Brewery loco at the connection with the Harborne Branch at Rotton Park Road. I have always wondered if this also explains the presence of a 4-wheel Sentinel at Monument Lane in the early 1950s. 

• RMweb Gold

Just been browsing in Frank Jones's book and come across an interesting example of a machine not commonly included among ranks of preserved ex-GWR locos http://www.brc-stockbook.co.uk/6515.htm - but it is.

Delivered new to the GWR, it was taken into stock as their No. 12 on 1 October 1926. Fitted with equipment for working train vacuum brakes and steam heating, it was based at Swindon for use on the Malmesbury branch, and then sent to work at Brentford Goods Yard. These trials were not successful and the loco was taken out of stock in December 1926, being returned to Sentinel the following month.

Modifications were carried out in 1927, including the fitting of a larger boiler, which enabled further trials, including passenger working, to take place on the Shropshire & Montgomeryshire Railway during the latter part of the year. The loco then returned to the GWR where more trials were undertaken on the Malmesbury Branch on 2 October 1927. During these trials a speed of 38 mph was attained, hauling a train of three four-wheel coaches, taking just 16½ minutes to cover the 6½ miles from Malmesbury to Dauntsey.

Not sure I'd fancy being on the footplate travelling at 38mph over jointed track.............

John

• RMweb Gold

You won't regret it. I find it endlessly fascinating - full of all kinds of oddities.

Yes, recommended, I bought a copy in the summer at the Titfield Thunderbolt Bookshop, still in stock there

http://titfield.co.uk/Book-shelves/Books-N1-det.htm#345

and excellent mail order service.

Cheers,

Keith

• RMweb Gold

Yes, recommended, I bought a copy in the summer at the Titfield Thunderbolt Bookshop, still in stock there

http://titfield.co.uk/Book-shelves/Books-N1-det.htm#345

and excellent mail order service.

Cheers,

Keith

It's really interesting.

What puzzles me, though, is that I can't find any reference to the ex-GWR panniers that went into LT service, nor the 'Jinty' that was sold to the NCB.

• RMweb Premium

It's really interesting.

What puzzles me, though, is that I can't find any reference to the ex-GWR panniers that went into LT service, nor the 'Jinty' that was sold to the NCB.

The Jinty is at the top of page 92, but I think you're right about the LT panniers.  Perhaps this is because London Transport is not strictly "industry", but it seems a bit pedantic to omit it.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

The Jinty is at the top of page 92

Oh yes, thanks for that.

I think you're right about the LT panniers.  Perhaps this is because London Transport is not strictly "industry", but it seems a bit pedantic to omit it.

Yes, perhaps the author considered the LT system another 'main line', which in a sense I suppose is a valid point, but even so.

• RMweb Gold

My cousin (who adores LT panniers) recommended this book:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Red-Panniers-Last-Steam-Underground/dp/1899889299

Oh yes, I know of this book. Many is the time I have had to resist the urge to part with my cash in that well-known book emporium.

Edited by Captain Kernow

• RMweb Premium

Oh yes, thanks for that.

Yes, perhaps the author considered the LT system another 'main line', which in a sense I suppose is a valid point, but even so.

Another instance of this is the disposal of steam locos by the Metropolitan. There is no mention of the 4-4-0 tanks that were sold to the Cambrian (or any other main-line railway), although those that went to collieries are listed. The author must have judged that the Nidd Valley Light Railway and the West Somerset Mineral Railway count as industrial because those, too, are included.

• RMweb Gold

Having had another look through the book, I can't find any mention of the ex-LBSC 'P' class 0-6-0T sold to James Hodson (Millers) Ltd at Robertsbridge, which they named 'Pride of Sussex, although 'Pioneer' (of Bowaters) is mentioned.

'Pride of Sussex' was certainly sold during the BR era.

Several of the handsome beyer peacock 0-6-4t locos finished their lives hauling coal for the ncb

locomotive_cecil_raikes.jpg?w=500

Manchester Collieries ltd purchased 6 of these North Staffordshire railway 0-6-2t locos, leading to the preservation of one

3962345400_7e488d09de_b.jpg

The Hetton colliery railway had two 0-6-0 tank locos that started out life on the LNWR as tender locos in the 1840s

The north london railway sold at least one of its beyer peacock 0-4-2 saddle tanks to the Whitehaven coal co and thence to the colne valley and halstead rly in 1883

The bishops castle railway aquired a 517 class (no. 567 to be precise) from the great western in 1905

horderley(bcrs)old4.jpg

The potteries, Shrewsbury and North Wales railway procured one of their locos 'Black Tom' (a bury curtis and kennedy 0-4-2) from the LNWR in 1866

220px-1870_Abbey_Station%2C_Shrewsbury.j

Edited by Killian keane
  • Like 3

The 2-4-0T loco "North Western", of the Jersey Railway, was sold to the Jersey Eastern Railway in 1878 and then into industry at a Scottish Quarry in 1898.  The Jersey Railway and the Jersey Eastern Railway were the only ones on the island (before the German occupation in WW2, that is), so must be counted as mainline!

There were at least seven ex-Glasgow and South Western Railway locomotives sold into industrial service by the LMS in the 1920s and 30s.

Four of them were Drummond/Whitelegg ‘1’ class 0-6-2Ts. Two went to Robert McAlpine and Sons in 1936, for use on a contract at Ebbw Vale. They were both scrapped within two years. The other two were bought by Ashington Colliery in 1937. One of these survived to 1953, the other to 1956.

Two more tanks went to collieries in England. These were ‘322’ class 0-6-0Ts, sold in 1934. One went to Hatfield Main Colliery, Doncaster and was withdrawn in 1957. The other went to Hafod Main Colliery in Wrexham. It lasted in service till 1962 and is now preserved in the Riverside Museum in Glasgow, as the only surviving G&SWR locomotive.

There was also one tender loco sold into industrial service. This was a Manson ‘160’ class 0-6-0, sold in 1926 to Kirkheaton Colliery in Northumberland. It was scrapped at Seaton Delaval in 1953. Amazingly (to me, at least) there is a colour photograph of it in NCB service - https://www.flickr.com/photos/36891793@N08/8581095382

With the exception of the two locos that went to McAlpines, all of these survived longer than the ex-G&SWR engines which stayed in mainline service. The last G&SWR tender engine was withdrawn by the LMS in 1947 and the last tank (another Whitelegg ‘1’ class 0-6-2T) made it to BR, but was withdrawn in April 1948.

Edit to add two more B&W pictures of the Manson '160' class in industrial service:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/36891793@N08/10229730825/in/photolist-gzY3zp-dF93d7-9YFB6G-dKh6Qw-aMYLNX-ViHNcg-XHt8yE-ELJtWE-9YCHdH-fcRrnJ-9YFANh-e1HJmN-bgoQni-fvLspE-m55jPp-9YFBdb-9YFAGm-9YCHpn-9YCHwc-kyDmGX-CCaf5y-9YCHBv-dHAYGh-9YFBDY-e1HJn5-9YFAU1-eFxpdj-9YFzMG-frfWwu-deSUEG-dzdmVk-tAJ2y-p4AGRd-qkUK92-qkTkbB-qCjUjk-cs9zQU-f3zgs1-d7ymWb-86ocAi-hcpZ6j-dPAQL5-9YBsYg-dzj1J5-Wzmyg5-rSGCzE-rgT6Mu-yaGwFj-rf8dd6-ryrG4a

https://www.flickr.com/photos/36891793@N08/13173245093/in/photolist-m55jPp-9YFBdb-9YFAGm-9YCHpn-9YCHwc-kyDmGX-CCaf5y-9YCHBv-dHAYGh-9YFBDY-e1HJn5-9YFAU1-ViHNcg-XHt8yE-eFxpdj-ELJtWE-9YFzMG-frfWwu-deSUEG-dzdmVk-cs9zQU-f3zgs1-d7ymWb-86ocAi-hcpZ6j-dPAQL5-9YBsYg-tAJ2y-dzj1J5-Wzmyg5-rSGCzE-rgT6Mu-yaGwFj-p4AGRd-rf8dd6-ryrG4a-ys6x6y-ysgVeD-xToqdw-ypXjcd-yKsxUM-yGoe2Y-yKsjtt-yaF2Kd-ypXj73-rgkP1t-B24ete-qkUK92-qkTkbB-qCjUjk

Edited by pH