Hills of the North - The Last Great Project

LNER4479

3 minutes ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi There,

Do you have a plastic model of Mc Caigs tower, Oban ready for a West Highland extension or is it just a grey laundry basket that I can see ?

Gibbo.

That's one of those little round, grey filing cabinet thingys. Only the bottom third of it is useful for its intended purpose.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

I'll bring a cardboard box to keep my feet in!  Need to keep the extremities warm, diabetic.  I'll bring one for Baz too.

Edit:  I've heard Reedsmouth Junction box can be cold and draughty.

Edited by New Haven Neil
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
56 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

I'll bring a cardboard box to keep my feet in!  Need to keep the extremities warm, diabetic.  I'll bring one for Baz too.

Edit:  I've heard Reedsmouth Junction box can be cold and draughty.

multiple layers of clothes required, fingerless gloves, thick marino woolly socks and a dut are required in winter.. 

Baz 

• Funny 1

Old fashioned foot warmers were good enough for the Victorians, try them?!!!!!!

I know installing a second floor can be expensive, but I wonder if the chapel originally had a first floor around the edge in the style of many chapels? Considering your wood working skills it is possible to do, especially with some help.  You could have two floors of railway!

I know, I’m going

Paul

• Like 5

1 hour ago, LNER4479 said:

One of many options [a woodburner] that have been considered.

Still a helluva space for it to heat ... and I just have this innate fear of it burning wood I'd rather it didn't burn ...

Don't worry chaps. As I've already said, the plan is that full layout operating sessions will be April-October (say) events only. The layout will be part un-mantled during the winter for so long as bits of it are requested for shows, so full-blown winter operating sessions simply won't be possible.

Repeating my post which turned out to be the last one on the previous page and therefore can easily get missed.

News today is that the goods yard has been reinstalled alongside the station. Pictures later (if you're good)

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Flying Fox 34F said:

Old fashioned foot warmers were good enough for the Victorians, try them?!!!!!!

I know installing a second floor can be expensive, but I wonder if the chapel originally had a first floor around the edge in the style of many chapels? Considering your wood working skills it is possible to do, especially with some help.  You could have two floors of railway!

I know, I’m going

Paul

That will need one hell of a helix or two!

Mike.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

Re: Temperature for model railways.

The first time I saw 'Grantham' it was at Barrow Hill Roundhouse.

It was difficult to stay watching for too long it was so cold.

I think I came down with 'flu afterwards.

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

1 hour ago, drmditch said:

Remember it well! Hats n gloves and thick coats were somewhat 'order of the day'.

Cripes - that's nearly seven years ago now

post-16151-0-09319300-1392027989_thumb.jpg

post-16151-0-27744100-1392028310_thumb.jpg

• Like 14
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, drmditch said:

You want cold? Leeds MRS exhibitions at the Corn Exchange were cold. Even the gas was too cold to come out of the pipes to work the heaters.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2

4 hours ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

Four Yorkshireman?  We used to dream of 'aving four Yorkshireman.  We could only afford two and had to mek do with a bunch of Lancashire chaps to make up the difference.

What ho jeeves, pop another prole on the fire, there's a good chap.

Hi Fritters,

Your maths is all wrong.

Two Lancashire chaps plus two Yorkshiremen equals six Yorkshiremen in my book.

Gibbo.

• Like 2
  • Funny 3

I am watching this impressive project with interest and look forward to the next instalments.

With trepidation that this is probably a silly question I wonder if you are a member of the Cumbria Railways Association chat group?

I find it an invaluable resource for my poor efforts with Windermere and the West Coast mainline. The friendly and helpful response to information requests obscure or downright foolish has been really great and the level of knowledge & historic  source documents second to none.

I had never heard of Bog Junction until your thread and this week it helped me understand the CRA discussion on freight timetables to its adjacent coal yard.  My only problem is keeping up with the information flow.

Apologies again if this is of no interest

Mike Hanson

Windermere & Hincaster Junction

• Friendly/supportive 1

Hi Mike,

No need to apologise for suggesting things. I am aware of the Cumbrian Railway Association and it has not escaped my notice that we might have a few things in common! There's a few ex-railwaymen involved (eg Ron Herbert) so they usually know what they're talking about.

Your project sounds interesting; have you posted anything about it anywhere? (apologies if I've missed it on here).