Hills of the North - The Last Great Project

LNER4479

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

I believe you get lights.

A reminder of Barry's work to create the vehicles for this Euston-Glasgow relief train that we originally put together for Shap 1967 at the 2017 Warley show. Photo by Tony Wright, taken at said show.

Shap 07_crop.jpg

Oi Mister! Your BSK's back-to-front! You'd NEVER see that on the prototype!

Etc., etc.

• Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, Barry O said:

and the bits that were added on for ETH on the ends of the coaches as well.. mind you I didn't add them as I didn't have a decent drawing of them.. 

Baz

That's why the Bachmann model is so cheap, if you want extra detail you're gonna have to pay for it!

Mike.

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

What idiot doesn't pack away his locos whilst he's wielding the soldering iron?

I can think of one...

Anyway, those milkman gloves and the soldering iron remind me of Leeds shows in the Corn Exchange when, as @Barry O and others will remember, soldering irons were left on permanently to provide a source of warmth.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• 2 weeks later...

I had assumed the approach to Shap was to accommodate the rest of the railway in some way, Graham. It looks so much better like that.  I hope you can redesign around it.

Those switches on the control panel for the loco stabling?  I assume push for on and they don’t look as if they are illuminated?  Recommended?  

I think I am going to build the control panel for the rest of the world for Camden next.   

Iain

Hi Iain,

Well, that little panel is about as simple as it gets (for DC). Yes, they are push-to-make buttons so you have to keep it pressed while you move the loco. I always do that for loco stabling to avoid locos churning away trying to push buffer stops over whilst you're looking the other way. It's also a (semi) fiddle yard situation, with the operator two feet away from what he's doing so no need for any indicator lights to show where locos are or which way points are set. All points are manual apart from the first / last point in the small yard.

So ... probably of no use to you whatsoever in terms of what you might need for your fiddle yard control panel! You probably need something more like this:

DSC08203.JPG.4b02812673241d46555e38506c109fba.jpg.21269554be534773b2bcc973cbe5b8ef.jpg

Most of the push buttons activate relays that then do lots of clever things like route setting, etc. Plenty of indicator lights here!

Edited by LNER4479
Add picture
  • Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1

5 minutes ago, LNER4479 said:

DSC00857.JPG.f4c41141fd74337d5f428dc8498a7df4.JPG

Station getting a bit full now! Time for something to depart, methinks?

Hi There,

That's easy sorted, get rid of all that pesky track and level off those platform faces and have yourself a knitting, or bridal wear exhibition in that huge covered area.

Hang on wrong century, just shunt the stock !

Gibbo.

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, LNER4479 said:

Some more running, partly to celebrate being shortlisted in the 2020 BRM poll - thanks to all who nominated. Feel a bit of a fraud at this stage with so much bare baseboards ... but maybe some folks like to see bare baseboards, or at least work in progress?

Congrats on the nomination.  I think your layout is at a most interesting stage that captures a following audience... you've got things up and running, people can see much of the grand plan (part realised, part in progress), there's significant development still ongoing and it is proceeding at a good pace to keep up the interest level.  

Good job!   One of the more consistently interesting threads on the forum, for sure...

• Like 3
  • Agree 5
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Well, Heaton Mersey's a bit nearer to Central than Bog Junction is...

That is no coincidence, given my former loft project.

But of course for 'Hills of the North', the reference to 'Central' is deliberately neutral. One place it represents is Glasgow Central, for example

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, LNER4479 said:

That is no coincidence, given my former loft project.

But of course for 'Hills of the North', the reference to 'Central' is deliberately neutral. One place it represents is Glasgow Central, for example

Of course! By the way, I've just visited Gowhole for the first and probably last time - very nice.

• Like 1