Hills of the North - The Last Great Project

LNER4479

There we go - a new page!

Anyhow ...

Carrying on with the new fiddle yard constructionDSC05084.JPG.a38af951d7b8a610330cdeea906faeec.JPG

Here is a new board with the legs being fitted, together with hinged bracing piece.

DSC05085.JPG.a09d45135651c5d5584fcb905b6622bc.JPG

This shows how this works - three 'back flap' hinges are used, to allow it all to fold away without any need for detachment.

DSC05092.JPG.3433f7b18fe2fd0116bf1339ef9ba80c.JPG

To try and simplify set up and strip down, I'm hinging the boards together in two pairs. I needed a pasting table hinge, an item that the big orange DIY store doesn't seem to stock in the hardware section. An hour or so's messing about with some 30mm ally strip and a nut n bolt resulted in this.

DSC05093.JPG.39822bea49d1ce7014bc4279cfa1e4b3.JPG

This should give a better idea of the hinged assembly. The reason why the rear one is a conventional flap hinge will become clear in due course.

DSC05094.JPG.51ce635658a279a5d07ad521908e3aec.JPG

Hinging in action.

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 9

Working on stock as well

DSC05047.JPG.bf0f1bddf3840847b37dee6398c05d7e.JPG

For the 1950s 'Royal Scot', we need a dining triplet featuring the original 1951 'Festival of Britain' anthracite all kitchen vehicles - Dia.700. Only a few built but we can of course legitimately run the 'Royal Scot' train on Shap. Wizard (ex-Comet) parts duly acquired and a suitable Lima donor body awaits treatment (one of them ridiculous 64ft 'stretched' full brakes - should be 57ft vehicle ... but you knew that!)

DSC05089.JPG.65c1abfe2b5b4c0c1b8e67b908ad829c.JPG

And after the plastic mice have been at it!

Also need to do the Restaurant Third; Bachmann did the Rest First and we have one of those available.

The 1950s Royal Scot will be a full blood n custard rake, compressed slightly to 11 bogies (should be 13), with a blue Duchess lined up to be the staple motive power. Should be quite a sight on Shap Fell.

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 14
  • Agree 1

• 5 months later...

A bit tangential but to mark the 175th Anniversary of the line over Shap there are a number of events in the village over the next month or so.  I've done an entry in events link here

It's a shame Hills of the North won't be there, but I think it might have filled the hall completely!

Alan

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

Meanwhile, Tom (LMS29) visited a few days ago, armed with his Dremel (that isn't really a Dremel, apparently). We soon got into a double act routine to attend to the baseboard joints that won't be sliding fishplates, me soldering and Tom slitting.

Nice work Graham. I use a larger diameter cutting disc - about 1.5 inches - which makes it easier to get a nice vertical cut.

By the way, I can tell a good story about the ar$e end of a train if you need a space filler - or by PM if you like.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, St Enodoc said:

By the way, I can tell a good story about the ar$e end of a train if you need a space filler - or by PM if you like.

Oi! No swingers on here - this is a good clean website, is this:D

Tell away - we're all ears...

(PS - the disc did start out at approx. 1.5 inches. We didn't realise how much it was wearing until we changed it! That photo was towards the end of its usefulness)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

Oi! No swingers on here - this is a good clean website, is this:D

Tell away - we're all ears...

(PS - the disc did start out at approx. 1.5 inches. We didn't realise how much it was wearing until we changed it! That photo was towards the end of its usefulness)

If you insist...

Many years ago at Derby, trains were running "by the calendar" due to disruption somewhere. The announcers were working ad-hoc, with train information being passed on as soon as it became available. Once of the announcers, who was clearly relaying exactly what the supervisor was telling her at the time, announced something like "The xx.xx to London St Pancras will now depart from platform 6. First Class accommodation will be at the ar$e end of the train".

Then silence for a good minute or so...

• Like 1
  • Funny 14

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

If you insist...

Which gives me an opportunity to relate a Paddington anecdote:

Train announcers at Padd were two shifted so after 22:00 the station supervisor did announcements.  An Oxford stopper was being announced . . . Didcot, Culham, Radley, Ooh buqqer missed out Appleford . . .!

Paul.

• Funny 6

• RMweb Premium

Another station announcement which sticks in my mind was a platform change at Waterloo....."The So and so train will now be departing from platform x so all passengers in the queue at platform y are requested to move to platform x."  short pause " That includes the bald man looking very lost". The mic had been left open.

• Funny 5

3 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Another station announcement which sticks in my mind was a platform change at Waterloo....."The So and so train will now be departing from platform x so all passengers in the queue at platform y are requested to move to platform x."  short pause " That includes the bald man looking very lost". The mic had been left open.

My fave was from Oxenholme. While waiting for a northbound service while on an Area 2 runabout, summer 1978 - Typical Lake District 'summer' weather - it was absolutely p*ssing it down.

A southbound service is announced, followed by 'Second class accommodation on this service is at the EXTREME rear of the train...........beyond the station canopy' :biggrin_mini2:

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

When I was commuting between Wolverhampton and Birmingham in the late 80s there was an all stations service about 17:20 from New Street to Altchringham via Stafford, Stockport and Manc. Piccadilly. The station announcer at Wolves used to try to reel off the entire list of stops; the EMU was usually on the move before they'd even got to Piccadilly and they would rapidly gabble 'andallstationstoAltchringham' as it disappeared.... :D

Edited by Ramblin Rich
can't spell Altchringham!
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

I can spell Altrincham - it's on my birth certificate!

"I bought a new pair of trousers from a tailor in Cheshire"

"Altrincham?"

"No, they fitted perfectly."

I thank you.

• Funny 7

56 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

When did they start double-heading with D400s?

1971 ... I think. Accelerated timetable, following route improvements, as a prelude to the wire scrapers in 1973.

No doubt someone who knows more about such things will correct me. I'm happier answering questions about hiss n p1ss locos...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, LNER4479 said:

1971 ... I think. Accelerated timetable, following route improvements, as a prelude to the wire scrapers in 1973.

No doubt someone who knows more about such things will correct me. I'm happier answering questions about hiss n p1ss locos...

The history of double headed D400's is a bit spongey, but from memory they were intended to be used as d/h power from Crewe on the Glasgow trains from the outset, as the LMR operating division wanted a 4000hp + locomotive, (Kestrel anybody, did you wonder why it was tested North of Crewe quite a bit?), to get up the hills a tad quicker than the existing diesel loco's then available, ie Brush 4, EE type 4.

Due to issues with mu control equipment in the early days and general reliability not all trains got 2 of them, many setting forth from Crewe with only 1, (hence one of the reasons in later life they started to become a little ragged round the edges as they had been thrashed as single units from an early age).

The announcement in March (?) 1970 of the accelerated timetable in 1971 went hand in glove with a new maintainence regime for the loco's to improve reliability, so from the start of the new timetable a bigger percentage of the Glasgows were d/h but by no means not all the scheduled ones, resulting in single D400's or Brush 4's taking the trains on.

Whilst steam loco sounds and pyrotechnics are liked by many, one of my favourite performance was the departure from Crewe of said d/h trains with what seemed to be a binary control handle, by the time the last coach, usually of 12 I think, had cleared the platform end it seemed as though it was up line speed already.

Mike.

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 3