313201 back in blue and grey

Very nice!

tn_gb-gtr-313201-bluegreyjpg.jpg

But agree it needs the double arrows, and it would not hurt to carry the white stripe over the doors too. Just imagine what an EPB would look like if all the doors had to be in a contrasting colour!

Edited by Titan
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

313121 dragged 313201 cut out under the wires (of course all 313/2's have no pantograph anymore) until it reached third rail territory where it was cut back in and apparently the BIL lights then went out and the tail lights worked again.  There is a video of the convoy passing through Preston Park late last night on YouTube where the the saloon lights are working on 201 showing it now had power.

The reason for using 313121 to tow it was the barrier coaches normally used are unavailable.  It was not able to run on its own down to Brighton as its due an exam which needs to be done first.

Edited by John M Upton

Very nice!

tn_gb-gtr-313201-bluegreyjpg.jpg

But agree it needs the double arrows, and it would not hurt to carry the white stripe over the doors too. Just imagine what an EPB would look like if all the doors had to be in a contrasting colour!

Original style oversize set numbers would be nice too. But it’s good to see the unit back in blue/grey, thanks to all involved in this initiative.

As well as being the first of a new generation of units (excepting the PEP prototypes), I think I'm right in saying this was also the first non-intercity* stock to be painted in the blue and grey livery.  So doubly good that it has been restored to something close to original condition.  I hope it's on the list for eventual preservation. 

*Intercity being applied at the time to Transpennine and other DMUs with something better than bus seating. 

• Like 1

My son is the engineer who signed off the paperwork for the various mods to be done on this unit and to get it back to blue/grey. BR double arrows "will not" <ahem> officially be applied until it goes into NRM stock in about 5 years.

just think, when I fired on these at KX my son was not even a twinkle in my eye!!

Nobody's noticed yet the original door pull handles have not been restored.

Edited by roythebus
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

My memories of the 4-VEPs at the time was that they were in plain blue, along with pretty well everything else on the Southern, which didn't rate any InterCity routes then.

Jim

Barnham, 1970 (not my picture, I wasn't born for another five years!) with newly delivered VEP's being stored in the now lifted down side sidings awaiting commissioning.  Lots of blue ones and the first blue/grey one here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevs_trains/2984276823/in/photolist-a8FWen-5xMzQY-3JxGuh-5xHcwF-5yABJW-9W8Tmw-9W5ZFa-9W8Vuo-5xMzYf-9W8S61-9W66Q2-9W8Soq-5yABVJ-9W5ZYK-9W8PnG-9W63AX-9W8NxU-9W8Ves-9W8N3j-9W5Yg4-9W61zz-9W8QKW-9W5YK6-9W617e-9W8P5S-9W63LK-9W668M-9W8QCs-9W8PvY-jG2VNE-3JwHuf-3JsoUZ/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevs_trains/1794191040/in/photolist-a8FWen-5xMzQY-3JxGuh-5xHcwF-5yABJW-9W8Tmw-9W5ZFa-9W8Vuo-5xMzYf-9W8S61-9W66Q2-9W8Soq-5yABVJ-9W5ZYK-9W8PnG-9W63AX-9W8NxU-9W8Ves-9W8N3j-9W5Yg4-9W61zz-9W8QKW-9W5YK6-9W617e-9W8P5S-9W63LK-9W668M-9W8QCs-9W8PvY-jG2VNE-3JwHuf-3JsoUZ/

Edited by John M Upton
  • Like 1

My son is the engineer who signed off the paperwork for the various mods to be done on this unit and to get it back to blue/grey.

Hi Roy

Can you please pass on my thanks to him for specifying the right shade of BR blue for the job - lots of preserved diesels seem to be painted in a version of BR blue that looks nothing like what I remember, but the 313 looks spot on. Lovely piece of work.

Cheers,

David

• RMweb Premium

Nobody's noticed yet the original door pull handles have not been restored.

313043 still has the plates screwed to the doors where the handles used to be. All the other GN 313s have had the holes filled, but for some reason 043 has survived, despite having a C6 overhaul a few weeks ago.

• RMweb Premium

I agree it looks good.  Although these days the actual colours are a bit outdated, the lines of the livery still work well, and translate to other colours too (Strathclyde orange/black for example).  I think it works so well because it's designed as a livery, rather than as a brand.

Blue/grey, and blue, was the BR 'Corporate Image' (along with other things such as uniforms, signage and typeface), and every single loco and passenger vehicle had to be in those colours; Wouldn't that simply be classed as the BR brand of that time ?

• RMweb Premium

Blue/grey, and blue, was the BR 'Corporate Image' (along with other things such as uniforms, signage and typeface), and every single loco and passenger vehicle had to be in those colours; Wouldn't that simply be classed as the BR brand of that time ?

Yes (I assume that's an answer to my post), but I meant it in the sense that the livery is designed as a livery, not as a brand image which is then applied to a train, if that makes more sense.  The BR "brand" was thought out as a whole design, rather than just an exercise in making your train stand out (see the latest WM franchise liveries for example...)

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

If it does get let loose on Sunday (unlikely) then it will only do Bognor - Littlehampton shuttles.  More likely its next working will be either the 05:49 or 05:55 off Bognor on Monday morning.

Spotted this at Worthing Yesterday: looks fantastic and a lot better than the Coastway Liveried sets!

One complaint though, Mr Upton: Where's the double arrows?! I thought you said Lover's Walk still had some...  :jester:

• 1 year later...