313201 back in blue and grey

Nice - and made a good job of the Equality Act door contrast too

Let's hope it eventually ends up in the NRM collection as the first example of this type of ground-breaking 2nd generation EMU as none of the PEP vehicles survived

And then maybe Locomotion can do a model of one.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Now if they could hurry up and get it back to the Sussex Coast, we are a little short of serviceable 313's at the moment!!  Apparently it is not supposed to be getting white double arrows on it but knowing my colleagues I am sure there must be some lurking in a dusty forgotten box in a corner of the Lovers Walk Depot stores somewhere that will mysteriously find their way onto it.

Still five years (at least) to go until the farewell railtour...

Edited by John M Upton
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Looks good. Nice to see these companies can see their train's heritage, unlike various other operators who paint their trains in stupidly ugly colours and vinyls!

If only more train companies could do what Norfolk Southern did with their heritage fleet...that was a marvellous initiative.

If only more train companies could do what Norfolk Southern did with their heritage fleet...that was a marvellous initiative.

UP did something similar (and picked the wrong version of SP...). It does happen in other places though. For example GWR and their HST power cars (I'd love to have seen a full set, but that probably would have ended up scattered within a month), SWT did a few mk1 units in historic colours. Chiltern had a green bubble car...

Wonder if anything similar might happen to the more modern types - will Stagecoach colours come back (assuming SWR ever apply their brand...) when the 450s are coming to the end? How about Connex colours on a 375? Seems ridiculous now, but I doubt anyone in 1976 thought there would be much nostalgia for blue and grey.

• RMweb Premium

313201 back in blue dragged by Network rail 313121 with a 350 trying to spoil matters at Leighton this afternoon! Unit returning to Brighton from wolverton works

221217313201.jpg

Happy Xmas to all at RM web

NR

Assuming it is moving and has an air supply from the tractor unit, why are some of the the door lights illuminated?

Not that it is in service, but I wouldn't expect to see it like that.

Does bring back memories of catching them from KX to FP in the late 70s.

Dave

• RMweb Premium

There should be no BIL (Bodyside Indicator Light) lights lit at all unless it was stationary at the time of the photo and both cab doors platform side were open.  The only thing I can think of is that the electrics are incompatible, 313121 probably being original spec door controls and interlock whereas 313201 has a modified system with the central coach Conductors Panel which could be causing the BIL lights to accidentally come on.  

313201 is definitely not powered up, only dead in tow as the tail lights are not lit, hence the tail lamp provided.

Edited by John M Upton
  • Like 1

NS and UP don't do it for any altruistic reason. It's simply to protect their intellectual property. If a livery is in use, they can charge more for model companies to reproduce it.

Cheers

David

I'm probably the only person who thinks this, but blue/grey is such a smart, clean, simple, yet effective livery. 

You're in a much bigger club than you might think. Blue/grey. Simple. Effective. Yes, I'd even go so far as to say smart.

Things like the Colas livery and the toyshop vinyls that most TOCs wrap their units in just make me want to revisit my lunch, sorry...

You're in a much bigger club than you might think. Blue/grey. Simple. Effective. Yes, I'd even go so far as to say smart.

Things like the Colas livery and the toyshop vinyls that most TOCs wrap their units in just make me want to revisit my lunch, sorry...

I love blue and grey but must admit the reason this looks so good is because it's clean and shining!

Why was this unit being dragged by another?

Surely if it had just been given a repaint it should be in a condition to work under its own power?

No pantograph on the -2xx units? At least not on this one, judging by the photo linked in post 16 above, which also shows those side lights illuminated away from a station.

• RMweb Gold

For example GWR and their HST power cars (I'd love to have seen a full set, but that probably would have ended up scattered within a month)

AIUI they did consider it, but the passenger coaches would have had to comply with the equality legislation, whereas by just doing the non-passenger carrying power cars they could make them as authentic as possible.