Flashback to an earlier era

Class-122-Green-1.jpg.b0303e29300f9c7650e31d7721ab3d2b.jpg

Class-122-Green-2.jpg.9f4d21c53836267ac87fd689ec4f38a1.jpg

Class-122-Green-3.jpg.30b7ccff1a7bb28395fef1d0c9b45f8a.jpg

Class-122-Green-4.jpg.69b01354e459c31b3db6ee16614f0746.jpg

Class-122-green-5.jpg.3bb07225f1a2f127c2a5fdcb89755f83.jpg

Note the different exhaust arrangement on the earlier version. The SYP version has this too.

More later

Paul R

Edited by pwr
Spelling
  • Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

4 minutes ago, Baggies1961 said:

Yes my thoughts were on what Heljan will offer, Didnt realise they had dropped their price.

Bit more healthy competition required for them across the board will be good.

Agreed. I just don't see how Dapol can do a DCC ready 66 for around £300 discounted and Heljan want £600 discounted for a 47. The 66 is also having different tooling options which are limited on the Heljan 47.

The problem is we keep stumping up the cash so they get away with it. I think the 40 and the 31 are about right.

• Agree 1

Finally pictures for today

Class-122-SYP-1.jpg.666ffe266d69d4295ef15a239b3e235c.jpg

Class-122-SYP-2.jpg.a8302c61a3fde463a6fb08cf14df0cce.jpg

Class-122-SYP-4.jpg.bc08ffd768838f7b6f4b4b12d947e63b.jpg

Class-122-SYTP-3.jpg.3e6bccd2eb23a81a6659555f391c0711.jpg

I'll put these on the rolling road tomorrow.

In other news I have been fabricating the guards footsteps for the BG. We are into bits now that are not in the kit!!!!  Feels like I am scratch building. Photos tomorrow when I have fixed to the underframe.

Paul R

Edited by pwr
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, pwr said:

Worth the wait.

Will you be getting one or more?

Paul R

They do look extremely nice...... I already have a slave one that I rescued several years ago and rebuilt it and about 2 years ago I purchased a Westdale one at a very good price from a well known auction site. I'll have to see if I have any additional shelf space for one.

Anyway, how did you sneak this one past SWMBO as I may need some tips :D

• Funny 1

13 hours ago, jcarta said:

Anyway, how did you sneak this one past SWMBO as I may need some tips :D

She gave me a budget from my pay off when I got made redundant. Unfortunately I think I am going to exceed it what with Heljan's eye watering prices for the 47 and 56. I have had to scale back my pre-rders but in my defence no negotiations ever took place on the budget so I am not too worried although I may be once the Heljan MK2's arrive next year!!!! 

Paul R

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, pwr said:

She gave me a budget from my pay off when I got made redundant. Unfortunately I think I am going to exceed it what with Heljan's eye watering prices for the 47 and 56. I have had to scale back my pre-rders but in my defence no negotiations ever took place on the budget so I am not too worried although I may be once the Heljan MK2's arrive next year!!!! 

Paul R

Will I need to have ACAS on speed dial?????? :o

I received an email today from Hattons regarding the pre-ordering of the Class 56 and then I had a nice surprise to see that they are using one of my pictures from my Flickr site 56085.....

IMG_9844.PNG.a888ad473580a7fa466b5f70deac5ca7.PNG

• Like 1

Yes saw that but did not realise it was yours. Thats great news. I am hoping these will come after Christmas personally but you never know. The 47 is slated for September.

Paul R

• Like 1

So after the excitement of new toys its back to the MK1 BG.

I've had to construct the steps myself as these are not in the kit nor referenced in the instructions. This is how I got on

Steps-1.jpg.839a5b18a6994311e4f42881069e8cea.jpg

They have still to be cleaned up. I was able to get the resistance soldering iron to do this as there was a risk of unsoldering other parts with a big iron. Seems to have worked. I wanted to solder rather than glue as I need the strength in this.

Also completed the vacuum hoses yesterday. 

Steps-2.jpg.ed8eea537208c2f39ee11d728df401bf.jpg

They are not 100% accurate but better than on proprietary models where they are not fitted. The crinkle enlargement doesn't help either.

Next up is the regulator which is another piece of scratch building. You get the regulator box in the kit but not the frame in which it is mounted. Again not referenced in the instruction.

I've also got a suitable tube to act as the air reservoir and just need to to make the rounded ends  - from what I can see this sits on the opposite side to the regulator.

In other news the 122's have been on the rolling road and all work perfectly with the lights changing with the direction of travel. The run as well as the 08's and both bogies are powered which I didn't realise. 

Right on we go!

Paul R

Edited by pwr
  • Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
On 24/08/2021 at 15:59, Baggies1961 said:

Yes my thoughts were on what Heljan will offer, Didnt realise they had dropped their price.

Bit more healthy competition required for them across the board will be good.

A bit of wanting cake and eating it going on here!

They have produced pretty much every diesel when few others are interested (and don't forget two rivals in the diesel market have packed up), almost all have been selling out, several have done 2 or 3 runs, and now we are complaining they should do this without the incentive to them!

Also we have no idea what their costs are - its just an assumption they make bigger margins. For starters they ship to Denmark then again to the UK.

Edited by Hal Nail

52 minutes ago, Hal Nail said:

A bit of wanting cake and eating it going on here!

They have produced pretty much every diesel when few others are interested (and don't forget two rivals in the diesel market have packed up), almost all have been selling out, several have done 2 or 3 runs, and now we are complaining they should do this without the incentive to them!

Also we have no idea what their costs are - its just an assumption they make bigger margins. For starters they ship to Denmark then again to the UK.

Thats an interesting point - why don't they simply ship to the UK. Most of the models are going to end up in the UK anyway. 

Paul R

• RMweb Premium
56 minutes ago, pwr said:

Thats an interesting point - why don't they simply ship to the UK. Most of the models are going to end up in the UK anyway. 

Paul R

So they can check them all???!!! Haha

I've seen people like Tower refer to the Heljan warehouse (which they've probably had from before they did UK stuff) so I think they manage supply to from there. Suspect there's a whole world of logistics involved in producing abroad that we never really see!

Anyway the 122 looks good so I think I'll get a 121. Its a shame they built the single cars with lights from new though - much prefer the look without personally but that would be stretching rule 1 beyond my limits!

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, pwr said:

Paul R

They also produce Danish locos so maybe the containers are loaded with UK and models for other territories which need sorting.

Paul

OK so I have spent the entire afternoon making this - the regulator assembly. The reason it took so long is that I had to bend brass angle in this U shape and to do that I needed to cut into one of the faces which then needed a fillet if brass to make the rounded corner. The first photo shows the bits being soldered up. A combination of 188 degree and low melt solder followed by filing. The casting was in the kit.

Regulator-1.jpg.8d887d02158684b539bcd46408b40051.jpg

This is the assembly nearly finished. I have since glued a piece of square plastic strip between the tops of the frame so I can mount to the floor of the coach. There is a fuse box to go on the end first - amazingly also in the kit. 

Regulator-2.jpg.73fd4f7baf1b2413f50a4e0f5dbed968.jpg

I'll post a further photo when its in place - probably tomorrow. 

It wouldn't have been easier to order one in but I can't find one on the internet and the GOG product directory returned no results however I searched.  Oh well onwards and upwards.

Paul R

Edited by pwr
  • Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

Having got this far I though I would bring the main components together for a photo

BG-8.jpg.110537e699a2ce5c0683ee8e48dd3a5c.jpg

BG-9.jpg.ffed43acf1644dfc57b0e1f4f5bfcb01.jpg

The cylindrical component on the right in the last picture is the start of the air compressor! Its cobbled together with a recycled pencil  and some evergreen tube.  I've now got some more milliput so I can fashion the air tanks.

Still to do on the BG are the following

Air Brake System

Footplate steps

Finish door bump stops

ETC system and associated hoses/wires

Replace buffers

Sort out coupling

End handrails

Door handrails

Body to chassis fixing

Dynamo belt

Fuse box

Emergency Light point

Gangways

Various underfloor pipes

Bogie detailing (brakes)

Interior Guard compartment (EasyBuild etch)

File down door hinges

A host of smaller items I may not have thought of!

Once painted I then need to sort the glazing, security bars and door knobs and handles. 

Still some way to go yet but I am getting there. The body needs a bit more adjustment yet to sit correctly on the Underframe. All in all though I think it will be an acceptable model and all the more so for being a gift!

Paul R

Edited by pwr
  • Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1

33 minutes ago, woodyfox said:

You've made a good job of that. It really looks the part. 

By the time you've done all the fettling and scratch building you could've had one of DJP's superb versions built! 

Ha ha yes probably - I've got an RJH version to do as well - I came across it in the loft the other day!

Paul R

Todays efforts revolve around the air system and footsteps

Here is the compressor under construction (hugely enlarged).

Compressor-1.jpg.6c632264b852120443f9fde0c0eddf06.jpg

Footsteps.jpg.1f73218de8e40ac8be96db91e6af7744.jpg

I've also been working on the air tank but no photos of that yet as its being clamped whilst the strapping dries.

Footsteps made out of plastikard and affixed with epoxy.

All for now

Paul R

Edited by pwr
  • Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

3 hours ago, brossard said:

A long to do list but the good news these are finite.:scared:

I like that you are scratchbuilding parts, it all adds to the overall feel of the model.:drinks:

John

Its turning out more detailed than my EasyBuild SK which was just built as per the kit with the bits that came with it.

I am really pleased with this!

Paul R