Oops I unexpectedly acquired another 50! I wasn't intending to - honest. However I saw it in the flesh and regretted not buying it before. In hindsight I should have  bought this and not the large logo!

Class-50.jpg.df4544e02879145504105f0b5e7d618b.jpg

Edited by pwr
Load photos
  • Like 3
  • Round of applause 3
  • Funny 1

In other news I have finished  the ETH fittings done on the BG, the brake pull rods have been modified and installed and the bump stops filed down. So now I need to address the depth of the door hinges, finish the roof weld lines, reattach the footbaords that fell off and install twe brackets to fix the chassis to the body. It won't be long before the primer comes out.

Paul R

• Like 2

Also got a bargain on two kit built wagons though a Twitter contact.

Wagons-3.jpg.e124fcd489551ad015b9255853c9b875.jpg

The van is a Slaters and the open is Peco. Both very well made. I'll change the couplers on the van to Dapol Instanters and then both can be weathered although they are at the bottom of a long list of things!

Paul R

Edited by pwr
Load photos
  • Like 4

Hi Paul

Got this recently in auction with some other 1:43 road models. I sold the rest leaving this baby as a freebie. It will do for Felsted until a Bristol double decker becomes available. I have sourced some bespoke decals for Eastern National. They’re somewhere between uk and Cyprus as I type.

I haven’t made a resin kit before so a learning experience. First inspection suggests a lot of fettling.

Hope you’re enjoying your new free time.

Bob

D8EF60EF-AAB1-4C67-A7C0-1650F622BCD4.jpeg

Edited by boeing7572t6
Added info
  • Like 2

On 28/09/2021 at 20:48, boeing7572t6 said:

Hi Paul

Got this recently in auction with some other 1:43 road models. I sold the rest leaving this baby as a freebie. It will do for Felsted until a Bristol double decker becomes available. I have sourced some bespoke decals for Eastern National. They’re somewhere between uk and Cyprus as I type.

I haven’t made a resin kit before so a learning experience. First inspection suggests a lot of fettling.

Hope you’re enjoying your new free time.

Bob

D8EF60EF-AAB1-4C67-A7C0-1650F622BCD4.jpeg

Ill look forward to seeing the build.

Paul R

Edited by pwr
spelling

Well yesteday I decided to do some more metlawork and made two brackets to attach the chassis to the body.

Bracket-1.jpg.453e9f8172df7b2d98fa230f30df22bf.jpg

These will sit on the plastikard that is glued to the lower part of the body. It will be come clearer once I have them stuck in. I just now need to drill some 4mm holes in the chassis (carefully!). The photo shows the bolts before they were soldered in.

The benefit of these brackets will be to hold the sides together and stop them bowing out in the middle. I'll post some photos when fitted.

Paul R

Edited by pwr
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

This is the first bracket fixed to the inside of the BG. I just hop I measured correctly or I may have to eliongate the holes in the floor!

Bracket-2.jpg.76a54920677bdbb78683cc070d583e1e.jpg

I have a bit of cleaning up to do inside.

Paul

Edited by pwr
Load photos
  • Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Been having one of those frustrating days where I am fixing things back to the BG that have fallen off! So far two windows, one bogie mount, all the footsteps on the solebars and now I have broken a brake pipe! I have decided I dont like these multimedia kits - if you can call a Westdale a multimedia kit!

I am glad I am nearly at the end of the build!

Its been toughter than I imagined getting these brackets right. Both have had to come off and be refixed as the solebar wouldnt seat properly. Still I am there now.

Just the roof welds to finish and reduce the lenth of the middle door hinges.

Then I will need to start using a mini drill to poich out the deeper scratched on the body before priming. I will use a filler primer - carefully as I dont want to fill the door edges!

Paul R

• Friendly/supportive 2

So I am progressing on with the roof welds and I havae also cut out the opening in the body for the guard's door which is the only one on the sides that opens inwards hence no hinges or bump stops!

roof-2.jpg.a2f3d95a85326c1874f53da6e6ad8ce8.jpg

I've replaced the broken brake pipe and I am confident I am now moving forward.

In other news I have found a web site selling scale bus drawings. No prices yet but they have the Bristol RE, Bristol MW and Bristol Lodekka so I have made an enquiry.

Paul R

Edited by pwr
Load photos
  • Like 4

23 hours ago, Mol_PMB said:

Well done for your persistence - it will come out really good in the end. I'm with you on multimedia kits, even the Slaters BR wagons annoy me sometimes!

Mol

I really like that Slaters includes different materials for various parts.  Some kits use the wrong materials, like WM for vacuum hoses or small steps.  LWB and brass etches are really useful.

John

2 hours ago, brossard said:

I really like that Slaters includes different materials for various parts.  Some kits use the wrong materials, like WM for vacuum hoses or small steps.  LWB and brass etches are really useful.

John

Yes I agree with you there John. My main frustration with this kit is the wooden floor. I guess I could have sourced a brass one but that would have meant that most of the kit would have been superfluous and the aim was to make something out of a difficult kit.  I think I may just get near that!

The material I really don't like is that milky bar resin.

Paul R

Not got much done today as one of the cats had to be taken to the vet - on foot as it turned out as the car would not start! New battery needed according to Green Flag who sorted us out. Thanks to Halfords we had a new one fitted in less than 2 hours from diagnosis!

I am pleased to say the cat is also fine. She had a lump on her tail whcih turned out to be a cyst and no treatment required!

Anyhow I made a start on the guard's door handrails and this is oneside with the brass waiting to be glued in.

Door-3.jpg.2d25c1cb3157d6e855db9e67fc000708.jpg

Looks like there is filing to be done in the door cut out. Also placed an order with Steve at Railtech for the necessary trasnfers and knowing his service these should be here tomorrow. Still not finished nthe roof welds but making good progress.

Paul R

Edited by pwr
Load photos
  • Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Despite the absence of posts lately I have now finished the BG to the point I can now paint it.

BG-10.jpg.1a433d7e21f60a49167160e37847a59f.jpg

BG-11.jpg.c087db2058a4863ffef04c6227fda57c.jpg

BG-12.jpg.581944729093ebcebe62f00d00f55e4a.jpg

BG-13.jpg.63eb43180a660eac0c4feeb099fb4524.jpg

BG-14.jpg.b3913b16aaf0dba0bca77b025e55c657.jpg

A couple of the weld lines will need replacing.

The sides have been cleaned up with a wire brush in the Dremel and this has got out most of the scratches to the sides. The rest should disappear under the initial coat of filler/primer.

The gangways are not yet fitted so this is the ends as they are.

BG-15.jpg.df3e7e9beffb86235267492b467ee837.jpg

I am quite pleased with this.

Hopefully it will be dry enough to get a first coat on tomorow.

All for now

Paul R

Edited by pwr
Load photos
  • Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5
  • Round of applause 3

3 hours ago, woodyfox said:

That's a fine looking coach. It does what 7mm is supposed to - conveys presence. 

You probably already mentioned it, but i assume you're going for maroon? 

No sorry this one is blue and grey! Its dual heat and dual brake and rides on B4 bogies.  This one is destined for the parcels train (in one guise) and as a support vehicle to the APT POP train when its done!  i need another BSK for that as Lab 12 and that will be painted in RTC maroon and blue. As yet I don't have a kit. Options are repaint a Dapol or get an Easybuild! Easybuild is cheaper but by the time you have bought additional bits its not far short of a Dapol. Lab 12 ran on B1 bogies that said. Dapol would definately be quicker.

The etched primer comes today so if its not too late by the time its received it may hav e a coat of that on by tonight!

Paul R

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Nice. I prefer the blue/grey livery. I actually always liked the Research livery too. Their stock was always very grubby in the cabs and the stock was rarely put through a wash plant. Always good turns to work on though. I assume the match vehicles on the APT were kept fairly polished to preserve the sleek image? 

On 14/10/2021 at 17:18, woodyfox said:

I assume the match vehicles on the APT were kept fairly polished to preserve the sleek image? 

This is the POP train which was a skeletal mock up! I think you may be referring to the E train which was as far as I can see kept clean!  I am doing both!

Paul R

Well not much to report this weekend. The BG body has been primed and had a coat of Railmatch Rail Grey and is now in the airing cupboard to harden off and will be there a week so I can mask off for the blue.

Meantime he chassis (not the bogies) has had a coat of underframe brown after priming.

Underframe-11.jpg.a8054e3ca6cf1f5fd63ac42eb6affa98.jpg

The bogies have brakes to fit and some mods before they get painted.

So whilst this paint is hardening I have gone back to the BAA and started to complete the load bars. Its a repetitive long job!

Paul R

Edited by pwr
  • Like 6

Not much to report at this stage but much is going on.

The BG has had a coat of blue after masking off and is back in the airing cupboard for a week to harden off. I'll then mask up again before spraying the roof. After that it will be lining and transfers, weathering and varnish.

In the meantime I found a quick way to fold the BAA load supports and these have all be soldered to the deck using the resistance soldering iron. I'll then go over the underneath tabs with low melt solder befire cleaning up.

BAA-21.jpg.2058bce32de18113d2c4ff52be714ad7.jpg

The problem I now have is that the tops are etched away from the sides except at the ends - if this was amodern etch I think the fold would be OK across the whole length but we have what we have so I need to think about filling in the corners. A high heat iron will distort the tops so its either back to the trusty RSU or low melt. I'll need to experiment but if anybody has built one of these or the similar BBA, did you find a solution or simply leave the paint to provide a fix?

Of course I expect Dapol to announce an RTR version as soonas I am done!

The eagle eyed among you will have noticed the missing buffers at one end. I found they had fell off despite being soldered suggesting I dropped something on it but I can't remember doing so once the load deck is done I'll resolder rthem back on. I have a couple of new 90w irons which wll do the job nicely.

I'll post progress as it occurs.

Paul R

Edited by pwr
  • Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Well not really much to post here. I've been painting the BG and applying lining (using HMRS transfers) and this is where I am at so far.

BG-23.jpg.e526517f8363e8ce433d6b0726f5e77a.jpg

I've got some painting in to do around the transfers where the masking wasn't quite right so before I do that I'll give the lining a coat of matt varnish to protect them.

Its become apparent to me looking at prototype photos that the framed windows (the non door ones) are not in the right place in relation to the roof but there is nothing I can do aout that now. It is what it is and I still reckon its a good outcome so far.

What you can't see in the photo is just how well the roof weld lines have come out now they are painted. So hopefully tomorrow or Wednesday I'll the fill in painting done and then its on to the remaining transfers and numbers. Still got thte bogies to finish off  - brakes.

Anyhow on we go

Paul R

Edited by pwr
Load photos
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, pwr said:

Well not really much to post here. I've been painting the BG and applying lining (using HMRS transfers) and this is where I am at so far.

BG-23.jpg.86ee36e5714f9252c252b136e3d7c197.jpg

I've got some painting in to do around the transfers where the masking wasn't quite right so before I do that I'll give the lining a coat of matt varnish to protect them.

Its become apparent to me looking at prototype photos that the framed windows (the non door ones) are not in the right place in relation to the roof but there is nothing I can do aout that now. It is what it is and I still reckon its a good outcome so far.

What you can't see in the photo is just how well the roof weld lines have come out now they are painted. So hopefully tomorrow or Wednesday I'll the fill in painting done and then its on to the remaining transfers and numbers. Still got thte bogies to finish off  - brakes.

Anyhow on we go

Paul R

Looks good Paul ...... Paint job is first class, what  varnish do you use?