Coming along well and looking good.  Wondering if you plan to do the vacuum and steam piping runs.  I'm kind of a nerd for that stuff and have tried to do it for my kit built coaching stock.  The trick is usually to know what it looked like, but I had a lot of help for mine.  There will also be a manual guards brake mechanism.

John

27 minutes ago, brossard said:

Coming along well and looking good.  Wondering if you plan to do the vacuum and steam piping runs.  I'm kind of a nerd for that stuff and have tried to do it for my kit built coaching stock.  The trick is usually to know what it looked like, but I had a lot of help for mine.  There will also be a manual guards brake mechanism.

John

I am going to try as best I can - This one will also be fitted for ETH

There is a helpful super detailing guide available from the Easy Build website

Paul R

• Like 1

3 hours ago, brossard said:

Ah good.  I got some very useful superdetailing info for my Gresley BG from the Kemilway manuals that are on line.  Only Gresley coaches though.  These manuals are biblical in size.

John

Yes I have seen and downloaded those - very useful! I have a Kirk Corridor Third 52' to finish.

Paul R

• Round of applause 1

I have the corridor third and brake third build started but on hold for donkeys years.  I got some very nice LWB and WM underframe castings from JLTRT when they were still a thing.  Now I have the Heljan Gresleys there is no urgency.

John

40's have arrived

As usual not without faults. Both had windows missing - fallen inside in transit I guess; so I had to have the bodies off and refit. Inadequate glue fixing of windows is a frequent Heljan problem. Green version needed steps refitting and the blue one had a screw loose inside the body - no idea what that's for as nothing seems to be missing. Now going to try them on the rolling road before placing on the layout for more photos

Paul R

Class-40-1.jpg

Edited by pwr
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, jcarta said:

Thanks for that Paul........ I haven't stopped drooling all morning over these beauties :punish:

I think you need at least one Jim to go with the non head code version I think you already have!!!!!

They won't hang around long and the price is good compared to what they want for the forthcoming 47 and 56

Paul R

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, pwr said:

I think you need at least one Jim to go with the non head code version I think you already have!!!!!

They won't hang around long and the price is good compared to what they want for the forthcoming 47 and 56

Paul R

Paul

I currently have 3 Class 40's, a split head code one and two early ones with discs...... I am very tempted :swoon:

• Like 1

Here are a few more shots posed on the layout.

Class-40-2.jpg.222a64430e3365b842b1010d2ee7869d.jpg

Class-40-3.jpg.60134e90da0cfca9da33f972c1821189.jpg

Class-40-4.jpg.18bd9cad10608afb9c28f7b0a0e421a5.jpg

Class-40-5.jpg.74f2c3f2be73dd633200e37c1b2c6ce2.jpg

Class-40-6.jpg.a9fdd14b45a39ec3bea34ad984eba2cd.jpg

Class-40-7.jpg.877a5890d04c741c1229e33bcb1cc077.jpg

I think the wife is getting concerned about the amount of stock being allocated to Notley.

I think she will have a fit when the 122's arrive

Paul R

Edited by pwr
  • Like 5
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGH............... I think you are a secret salesman for Heljan.

I am now going to a dark room as I have voices in my head ..... Go on buy one, go on buy one....:D

• Funny 1

16 hours ago, jcarta said:

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGH............... I think you are a secret salesman for Heljan.

I am now going to a dark room as I have voices in my head ..... Go on buy one, go on buy one....:D

You know you want to!!!

Paul R

• Funny 2

So having got frustrated I could not find my heat shrink insulation tubes to represent hoses I settled on some metal guitar string material which looks better and the photo shows the Direct Admission Valve fitted with one of the pipes. Still to do the other pipe on it and I need to fashion one for the other end. Also starting to think about the air brake fittings and footsteps.

DA-Valve.jpg.3c4306bfbf1819fad304f0b727c62a50.jpg

Paul R

Edited by pwr
  • Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

Just now, brossard said:

The guitar string looks good.  I might suggest wire insulation to represent hose.

John

Yes, I have a selection of guitar strings in the bits box despite never having even attempted to play the axe!

They become more pliable after heating to cherry red in a gas flame, and that also darkens them a bit.

• Informative/Useful 1

More new arrivals - these will be the last until the 47 my wife will be pleased to hear!

Class-122-1.jpg.03ea982d160be58c449fb449470c5c91.jpg

Class-122-2.jpg.bf2e14ce2ffda288aed07451e679a890.jpg

Class-122-3.jpg.33d58a570e5844a0b024b97096501498.jpg

Class-122-4.jpg.825df5f1bd911d336689cff4430be4b6.jpg

Class-122-5.jpg.c42ee8090758891aa4dcc2e738fb9449.jpg

I know these never worked in East Anglia but the idea is that three were drafted in to Cambridge  to work the Bishops Stortford to Braintree section in an effort to reduce losses (my Rule One assumption that the line never closed remains in force!). The thinking is that a pair left Witham and split at Braintree with the front unit going forward to Bishops Stortford and crossing a returning unit at Dunmow. When that unit got to Braintree it joined with the rear half of the first train and the two units set off back to Witham.

Feels plausible and will have to do until I can get my Cravens, 101 and Derby Lightweight 2 car units built! A scratch built W and M Railcar may also appear at some point although I know you can get a body for these from Shapeways in 7mm scale albeit the shape looks wrong.

I've got some pipes to fix to this and some Destination boards to make as those in the box are no good! 

More photos later.

Andy P didn't you say you wanted one of these?

Paul

Edited by pwr
  • Like 3
  • Funny 2

1 hour ago, Mol_PMB said:

Your own personal souvenir of the ‘Ever Given’ shipping crisis? Does it come with a special certificate? 

Looks very good, and not too far-fetched I think. Weren’t there some 121s on the Sudbury branch in NSE days? 

I am not sure. There was certainly a 101 in NSE colours

Paul R

1 minute ago, Baggies1961 said:

I have a couple of souvenirs too :D thank god the EG was liberated!!

Yes it will be interesting to see how these compare to the Heljan versions when they arrive. Interestingly their price was significantly reduced once the Dapol version was announced - I think it was originally £100 more so they are certainly making a healthy margin on their 7mm stuff.

The Dapol versions have rather chunky windscreen wipers and quite prismatic windows. It will also be interesting to see if they have used the same underframe on the 121. They were not the same!  The 122's were Gloucester built and the 121's by Pressed Steel.

Paul R

• Informative/Useful 2