Haigh Sidings - Inglenook Shunting Layout - OO Gauge

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, sb67 said:

Another thought, how about a walkway connecting the warehouses with an area of rough ground underneath, plenty of weeds, bramble, junk, maybe a small shed, etc. 

The walkway would have to be supported in the middle as the buildings are quite a bit apart.

There's going to be another mill at the front of the layout, at the left hand side (acting as a view blocker) and there'll be a walkway from that to the first mill, over the tracks.

I think a walkway between the first 2 mills across the centre would look a bit odd, as firstly there wouldn't be anything for it to cross (hence no reason for one in the first place) and secondly the tower on the left of the new mill is a stair tower, so wouldn't have a walkway into it.

JRB

• Like 1

I attach a view of the electricity poles with the left hand one in mind to bring the three-phase down to the sub-station below for both buildings.  The trees you thought about should be back sheet with the cables passing between and not trees planted between the buildings - you do not want the tree roots undermining your good work!!!

electricity poles.jpg

• RMweb Premium
On 29/02/2020 at 09:16, coline33 said:

I attach a view of the electricity poles with the left hand one in mind to bring the three-phase down to the sub-station below for both buildings.  The trees you thought about should be back sheet with the cables passing between and not trees planted between the buildings - you do not want the tree roots undermining your good work!!!

electricity poles.jpg

Colin,

Appreciate the suggestion, but I'm still not convinced that would work in the space available. I've looked on Google images for a sub-station in between big buildings, and I can't find a single example. They're all in much more open locations.

I'm thinking of a retaining wall to give the height, and then top it off with a low relief building end with a lean-to shed, and a small walled-off yard area. This could be a small garage or tyre shop, and would give scope to have a little cameo scene in it:

MiddleSection.jpg.5a8abdd04d51a7ea3a5533a44d1334af.jpg

ShuntingLayoutOverall.jpg.6a609921aedc58ec8798d35da5dcb3d5.jpg

JRB

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, long island jack said:

the wall might look better the same height as the road bridge, to look as if the road goes behind the buildings.

Ray

An excellent point, Ray. Thanks.

JRB

I take the point you make about a sub-station but a sub-station for a factory would be small and probably just the generator set as commercially produced.   Coming to the good point of using the road level from the top of the left hand bridge, it does give you a bland high wall which needs attention.   I suggest this in the form of a large colourful advert for the factory's products.   If you continue with your idea of trees as the background then this combined with the advert will give a splash of colour as a focal mid point on the layout.

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, sb67 said:

Have you tried the mock up with the buildings and the shed on the same level as the warehouses to see how that would look? 

I tried that yesterday after I read your suggestion, but it didn't look great. It really needs some height.

I was thinking about it earlier whilst driving, and I'm wondering about the possibility of putting another bridge in there, from front to back as per the existing one at the end, with a small retaining wall and embankment running alongside the tracks. It would add some height to the front of the layout, forcing you to look down onto the tracks & increasing the sense of everything overshadowing the tracks.

Not sure if it'll work or not, but I might mock it up tonight if I have time.

JRB

• Like 1

Nice work on the water tank JRB, good idea using the vari girders. 

A bridge in the space is a good idea but I guess you'd have to be careful it doesn't dominate the layout. Have you mocked up another warehouse a slightly different size to the others? It could be the simplest solution works the best. I've found it can be frustrating with backscenes of warehouses and had similar problems trying to fill a space. Keep looking, you'll find something that works :)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, jrb said:

Update Number One: Buffer Stop

The track was, if you remember, far too close to the corner of the new mill. I was thinking I'd have to rip the siding up & re-lay it on a slight curve to move it over. Then Mike (Enterprising Western) pointed out that all I needed to do was shorten it slightly!

Here's how it was, with the required 3 wagons in place having been uncoupled:

Buffer01.jpg.8723ed1115762ef3e133376cd0ead726.jpg

As you can see, there is a bit of space at the end, so I decided to shorten the siding by 2 sleepers:

Buffer02.jpg.186c4e366ebd9304dbc9ebd38406ad6c.jpg

Once the ballast & sleepers were taken up, it was a simple job to attach some new sleepers to the buffer stop castings, and glue them down on a scrap of cork:

Buffer03.jpg.c9ac67e8836913a913890f16feb47736.jpg

Once ballasted, no one will ever know...

Update Number Two: Water Tank

You may recall my plan to use some of the Wills 'Vari-Girder' panels as a water tank on top of the new mill. First job was to cut some styrene tube (5.5mm diameter, IIRC) by putting a short length in a drill, powering it up, and then applying a scalpel blade to it:

Tank01.jpg.3ffcbfecb387dd6bceb6ce10ff30be2a.jpg

It's harder than you'd think to cut 6 pieces to equal thickness, and I ended up with far more of them than I needed, but the best 6 were glued to the centre of the panels:

Tank02.jpg.0b22b415ffcecef7dd77382ee1de0dfc.jpg

The I used some 10x40 thou plastic strip, with some 10x20 thou strip on top, to form the reinforcement:

Tank03.jpg.bb486e39adbcee7000e567d319757c8e.jpg

Frst one completed:

Tank04.jpg.c8e672a0b98b4d51d227f73fd2fde1b9.jpg

You can see I didn't bother to mitre the corners of the thinner pieces! The above pic is cruelly close, and it's not really noticable by eye.

The first three that will form the front of the tank:

Tank05.jpg.a4b70e06d1842049512ef16058421d85.jpg

Not terribly consistent, but not terribly bad, either. I'll take that! Still to finish off the other 3, this was quite tedious & was a strain for my eyes, so they'll be done another day.

And I didn't have time to mock up the possibility of a second bridge in the centre space...

JRB

I assume the cheque is in the post!

Re the tube cutting, if you make a scalpel mark at the measured intervals on the tube before putting it in the drill, then you should get equal sized pieces.

Mike.

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

I assume the cheque is in the post!

Re the tube cutting, if you make a scalpel mark at the measured intervals on the tube before putting it in the drill, then you should get equal sized pieces.

Mike.

Mike,

Cheque? What's that? :lol:

The problem wasn't so much marking the width of the cut, it was stopping the blade wandering off as soon as it touches the tube. If you don't get the blade at *precisely* 90 degrees, it inevitably wanders and cuts a spiral along the tube.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Regarding the gap between the two tall buildings you could perhaps have a low (one or two storey) building with either a flat / double pitched / north light roof?

Or a canal with the railway crossing over a bridge? (probably too late).

Some examples here: Blisworth Mill

Or just a wall as you suggested above, with probably roadway behind.

Looking fabulous so far.

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Earl Bathurst said:

Superb modelling look forward to seeing more of this layout.

The laser cut mills are they available for sale?

Thank you. Yes, the first mill has been developed into a kit, which will be available soon. I don't want to say too much about it on here yet though as I don't want to upset the moderators/BRM ;)

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

There's not been a lot of progress on the layout recently, I've been busy with a couple of other projects. But, I have had some detail bits 3D printed by ianmaccormac who graciously invited me over to see his Elegoo Mars resin printer - I'm 99% sure I'm going to get one of the newer versions when they come out!

He printed me some extractor fans/vents:

Vents01.jpg.a921c8f241fd3f6f11fd77876b2b9ad4.jpg

These are designed to fit into the top corner panes of the windows on the first mill:

Vents02.jpg.e3112cf189228f36d4466df1082417ef.jpg

Vents03.jpg.0d04af5a0437a6e0d95662cfe8398b24.jpg

A bit of paint, and a fine mesh on the second, and they'll look pretty good I reckon!

JRB

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium
48 minutes ago, Markmiller2008 said:

This is just superb modelling!

Given me lots of ideas for my new layout.

Mark

Thank you Mark,

That's very kind of you to say. Unfortunately the layout is at the club (which is closed) so haven't been able to do anything at it since the lockdown, but once this situation is over & things start getting back to normal I'll hopefully be able to make some progress!

Jonathan

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 6 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 18/11/2020 at 12:28, coline33 said:

Nearing the end of the second lockdown, so would like to know if you were able to do more since the first lockdown, please?   Colin.

Colin,

Thanks for the interest, but no, I haven't made any progress with it yet. Our club is still closed; I've been down to the clubroom a few times just to check on things, but I think it's going to be a couple of months yet before we can re-open properly. Plus I've been spending all my 'spare' time working on the new business.

Jonathan

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi Jonathan

Just discovered your thread here, I do have a couple of questions.

Is this where the idea for your business came from?

Do you have any more photos you could upload to get an overall picture of what you have achieved, unfortunately most of them are no longer showing.

Thanks 

Mark

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Asterix2012 said:

Hi Jonathan

Just discovered your thread here, I do have a couple of questions.

Is this where the idea for your business came from?

Do you have any more photos you could upload to get an overall picture of what you have achieved, unfortunately most of them are no longer showing.

Thanks 

Mark

Mark,

Yes, it is. The building I designed and had laser cut for this layout became (with a couple of changes) my first kit, JSM01.

As for the photos, I haven't re-upload any as I was waiting for the automatic process (from what I understand, they will all come back at some point, because they were uploaded prior to March 2021. I haven't added any new pictures as nothing has changed, I just haven't had the time/inclination to do anything with the layout (although I do play with it at the club sometimes when I'm there!)

Jonathan 

• Like 1