50 Years since the end of BR Steam!

Preston again...

attachicon.gif(562a) 45212 Preston 15-07-68 (Trevor Ermel) .jpg

A rear three-quarter portrait of 45212 with a northbound coal train on 15th July

attachicon.gif(545bS) 48765 Preston 18-7-68 (Trevor Ermel).jpg

48765 heads north with a train of new farm machinery, by the look of it, on 18th July

Trevor

For info: I believe that 45212 is due to be in steam for forthcoming  ELR Gala! 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Or every vacuum cleaner a hoover? Jeep seems to hover in between to me.

A friend of mine who is into rebuilding old Land Rovers (he once owned 6, all stashed in bits around his house, garden, garage, and the back of the one that works) calls them trucks, but he is the sort of character who doesn't care much if others disapprove of what he does.

This is 'Tommy Horizontal' mentioned on another thread a while back for leaving an NCB Hunslet at Nantgarw in gear while it raised steam, resulting in the loco taking several spaces in the car park to which it was not entitled, demolishing the back wall of the engine shed, and putting an end to Tommy's career as a loco fitter for the NCB.

• Like 2

A friend of mine who is into rebuilding old Land Rovers (he once owned 6, all stashed in bits around his house, garden, garage, and the back of the one that works) calls them trucks, but he is the sort of character who doesn't care much if others disapprove of what he does.

I call mine trucks too , nothing wrong with that - but they're definately not jeeps!

Unless these were all steam powered and withdrawn in 1968, could someone please explain their relevance to the topic?

Why?

Topic title: 50 Years since the end of BR Steam!

Doesn't say 'owt about any content having to be 'all steam powered and withdrawn in 1968'

Just sayin' :)

Why?

Topic title: 50 Years since the end of BR Steam!

Doesn't say 'owt about any content having to be 'all steam powered and withdrawn in 1968'

Just sayin' :)

Ah, I see. The topic title should have been 'Discussion and photos of steam locomotives and perhaps some diesels towards the end of British Railways steam traction on 11th August 1968'? Bit of a mouthful, but possibly nearer to what the OP was looking for?

By the way, I'm heavily involved in the Classic Car movement and use a 57 year old Ford Prefect as daily transport. But there are plenty of other sites to cover these.

Ah, I see. The topic title should have been 'Discussion and photos of steam locomotives and perhaps some diesels towards the end of British Railways steam traction on 11th August 1968'? Bit of a mouthful, but possibly nearer to what the OP was looking for?

By the way, I'm heavily involved in the Classic Car movement and use a 57 year old Ford Prefect as daily transport. But there are plenty of other sites to cover these.

Or perhaps just 'allowing' a little bit of latitude?

How's your car coping in this weather?

• RMweb Gold

It copes very well, and thank you for asking.

I can believe that; l low powered vehicle with high gear ratios and traction limiter in the form of a partially applied handbrake is a very useful tool in these conditions!

I can believe that; l low powered vehicle with high gear ratios and traction limiter in the form of a partially applied handbrake is a very useful tool in these conditions!

My good wife had a Ford 100E of some kind in her student days, I seem to remember that the “traction limiter” came in the form of being totally gutless... she replaced it with a 1200 Anglia and was much impressed! Good motor, the Angle-box...

Edited by rockershovel

A week late, but, taken on the 17th February 1968, 45190 approaches the coal tower at Newton Heath, he had to stop as some fool kid train-spotter was taking this picture !! 

attachicon.gifImage (13).jpg

What a super photo! Shows the infrastructure and conditions prevailing at the time, which a modern 'heritage line' could never reproduce (and good job too, probably!)

Cheers

Trevor

@LMS2968

Thanks for tying to keep this thread on topic! (Jeeps, Trabants and Hoovers, indeed!)

My fault, I started it by mentioning the three-wheeled van in one of my photos!

Anyway, as this thread seems to be running out of steam (see what I did, there?) it might be an idea to try and tie up a few loose ends to clarify which was the last BR (as opposed to privately-owned/preserved) steam loco to run in revenue-earning service. I'm excluding light engine moves back to depots here, or it would probably become too complex.

The answer, I suppose, depends on what you mean by 'revenue-earning service'.

The 1T57 '15 Guinea Special' of 11th August 1968 certainly earned revenue - in fact most of us at the time thought the fare (£15.75 in today's terminology) was almost extortionate! Four different locos were used in running this train, the final leg from Manchester to Liverpool having 45110 in charge. So this 'Black Five' stakes a claim. Of course, there were half a dozen 'specials' run on Sunday 4th August (the day after the end of advertised normal steam workings) but these were all eclipsed by the final 'last one' of 11th August.

If we mean normal timetabled revenue-earning service, we have to go back to the previous weekend, when two more 'Black Fives' were in the running on Saturday 3rd August. 45212 headed the 20.50 Preston to Blackpool South passenger train (which I was on) and was just about reaching its destination when 45318 set off, also from Preston, with the 21.25 to Liverpool. (Both of these trains were comprised of the rear coaches of WCML trains which divided at Preston.) So of the two, 45318 takes the honours. Or does it?

Because after returning from Blackpool (light engine, unless someone knows differently) 45212 then spent several hours as station pilot at Preston, including removing sleeping cars later that night from a train from Euston and shunting them into one of the bay platforms, where it stood to provide steam heat for the lucky passengers. In my book they were just as much fare-paying customers as the crowds on the Liverpool train who travelled nearly 30 miles behind 45318. The principle is the same, except the unsuspecting passengers only travelled, say, a few hundred yards behind steam as the sleeping cars were uncoupled and pulled back clear of the points and then propelled forwards into the bay. So, perhaps arguable on this one but my money goes on 45212, although I can understand if supporters of 45318 feel a bit aggrieved.

What about freight trains? They earned revenue, of course. And there certainly were steam-hauled freights running on Saturday 3rd August as well. I don't remember seeing any myself, (certainly didn't photograph any) but the published lists in various magazines over the years, usually in issues commemorating 1968, seem to imply that they had all reached their destinations prior to the exploits of 45212 and 45318 that evening and therefore they don't confuse the issue of the 'last runs'. Unless anyone knows differently? And just which was the final steam-hauled freight?

So you pays your money and you takes your choice, I suppose, between 45110, 45212 and 45318.

There's only one other factor to take into consideration. Looking through some old 'Steam World' magazines, I found this entry in the August 1993 issue (25th anniversary of 1968), in an article entitled 'Steam's Last Week' by Peter Jones. Prior to tabulating all the steam-hauled trains and the locos which worked them from Monday 29th July to Saturday 3rd August, he gives a few caveats, including: 

'On Sunday 4 August, a Class 5 was working on a ballast train at Outbeck, near Lancaster'.

I had to read that twice to take it in. So apparently, a day after the end of 'normal' steam on Saturday 3rd August, a 'Black Five' was supposed to have been still working?!! I have never seen this reported anywhere else, so perhaps it was an urban myth. If anyone knows differently please come forward as it completely blows the claims of 45212 and 45318 out of the water!!

I think I've covered all the angles here from published records and personal experience, but if anyone would like to add their take on this then please join in.

Cheers

Trevor

Edited by Trev52A
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

@LMS2968

Thanks for tying to keep this thread on topic! (Jeeps, Trabants and Hoovers, indeed!)

My fault, I started it by mentioning the three-wheeled van in one of my photos!

Anyway, as this thread seems to be running out of steam (see what I did, there?) it might be an idea to try and tie up a few loose ends to clarify which was the last BR (as opposed to privately-owned/preserved) steam loco to run in revenue-earning service. I'm excluding light engine moves back to depots here, or it would probably become too complex.

The answer, I suppose, depends on what you mean by 'revenue-earning service'.

The 1T57 '15 Guinea Special' of 11th August 1968 certainly earned revenue - in fact most of us at the time thought the fare (£15.75 in today's terminology) was almost extortionate! Four different locos were used in running this train, the final leg from Manchester to Liverpool having 45110 in charge. So this 'Black Five' stakes a claim. Of course, there were half a dozen 'specials' run on Sunday 4th August (the day after the end of advertised normal steam workings) but these were all eclipsed by the final 'last one' of 11th August.

If we mean normal timetabled revenue-earning service, we have to go back to the previous weekend, when two more 'Black Fives' were in the running on Saturday 3rd August. 45212 headed the 20.50 Preston to Blackpool South passenger train (which I was on) and was just about reaching its destination when 45318 set off, also from Preston, with the 21.25 to Liverpool. (Both of these trains were comprised of the rear coaches of WCML trains which divided at Preston.) So of the two, 45318 takes the honours. Or does it?

Because after returning from Blackpool (light engine, unless someone knows differently) 45212 then spent several hours as station pilot at Preston, including removing sleeping cars later that night from a train from Euston and shunting them into one of the bay platforms, where it stood to provide steam heat for the lucky passengers. In my book they were just as much fare-paying customers as the crowds on the Liverpool train who travelled nearly 30 miles behind 45318. The principle is the same, except the unsuspecting passengers only travelled, say, a few hundred yards behind steam as the sleeping cars were uncoupled and pulled back clear of the points and then propelled forwards into the bay. So, perhaps arguable on this one but my money goes on 45212, although I can understand if supporters of 45318 feel a bit aggrieved.

What about freight trains? They earned revenue, of course. And there certainly were steam-hauled freights running on Saturday 3rd August as well. I don't remember seeing any myself, (certainly didn't photograph any) but the published lists in various magazines over the years, usually in issues commemorating 1968, seem to imply that they had all reached their destinations prior to the exploits of 45212 and 45318 that evening and therefore they don't confuse the issue of the 'last runs'. Unless anyone knows differently? And just which was the final steam-hauled freight?

So you pays your money and you takes your choice, I suppose, between 45110, 45212 and 45318.

There's only one other factor to take into consideration. Looking through some old 'Steam World' magazines, I found this entry in the August 1993 issue (25th anniversary of 1968), in an article entitled 'Steam's Last Week' by Peter Jones. Prior to tabulating all the steam-hauled trains and the locos which worked them from Monday 29th July to Saturday 3rd August, he gives a few caveats, including: 

'On Sunday 4 August, a Class 5 was working on a ballast train at Outbeck, near Lancaster'.

I had to read that twice to take it in. So apparently, a day after the end of 'normal' steam on Saturday 3rd August, a 'Black Five' was supposed to have been still working?!! I have never seen this reported anywhere else, so perhaps it was an urban myth. If anyone knows differently please come forward as it completely blows the claims of 45212 and 45318 out of the water!!

I think I've covered all the angles here from published records and personal experience, but if anyone would like to add their take on this then please join in.

Cheers

Trevor

Ah - but would a ballast working be classed as revenue earning?

Phil

• Like 3